MAP READING

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavfromoz

Gav
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the group is able to arrange Map Reading Training. As we are all going to be out in the scrub being able to read a topographical map is and can be a life saving skill.

As a thought, I'm sure if we have enough interested members, we could approach a State Emergency Service / Rural Fire Service Local Headquarters and make a proposal for them or some of their instructors, to run a map reading course. Of course, each member can make a donation to the HQ or Brigade for this service.

Having those skills will ensure everyone can find their way back to their vehicle/camp or any location and not get themselves lost. It can and will also enhance the overall prospecting/fossicking experience as members will know where they are, where they want to be and how to get there safely and back again. This will be a skill for life.

Any ideas?

Gav

gavfromoz said:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the group is able to arrange Map Reading Training. As we are all going to be out in the scrub being able to read a topographical map is and can be a life saving skill.

As a thought, I'm sure if we have enough interested members, we could approach a State Emergency Service / Rural Fire Service Local Headquarters and make a proposal for them or some of their instructors, to run a map reading course. Of course, each member can make a donation to the HQ or Brigade for this service.

Having those skills will ensure everyone can find their way back to their vehicle/camp or any location and not get themselves lost. It can and will also enhance the overall prospecting/fossicking experience as members will know where they are, where they want to be and how to get there safely and back again. This will be a skill for life.

Any ideas?

Gav

That is a good idea. You cant rely on GPS all the time.

It's a great idea Gav, the problem I see is that our members are so spread out and we would need 20-30 participants to be worth doing. Maybe we could arrange some of the more experienced guys to give a lesson or two at our upcoming camping trips. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I believe you are better of learning how to read geology maps. That way you can tell here you are by the rock types and also give yourself more chance of finding gold. It's also a great way to learn what all the rock types look like in the field and there correct names.

DD

Hi guys, Nugget that sounds like a great idea. I'm sure there would be a few guys who have the knowledge and it would make the trip really worth it, even if some of us don't strike it lucky, we would still walk away with the skill of being able to read maps.

DD, also a great idea. Heaven knows how much that would improve our chances of finding more yellow if we knew what to look for and where.

Seen this site? Australian Govt - how to read a topo map.
http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA7194.pdf

There is also the Aust Emergency manual at http://www.em.gov.au/Documents/Manual 36 Map Reading and Navigation.PDF

Couple of things I use. I always detect with a silva compass and always use and plot grid references. I know the maps (natural features) and grid references won't ever change significantly. Plus maps and compasses don't need batteries, nor do they suffer from cloud cover etc etc. I know people swear by GPS and that's fine too but a compass should always be carried IMO. For reading gullies etc try and comprehend contour lines and what they mean with regards to elevation, for example where gold has dropped off a reef line etc and where the flat spots may be. In heavy scrub and if following a north south reef line a quick bearing shoot will guide me in the direction I want.

The old geological maps can be difficult at times given their age and the fact that the old map makers were relying on technology that had not changed in years. On the older maps we see 'chains'. These convert to 1 chain = 66 feet/22 yards. A cricket pitch is 1 chain as an example. the conversion to metric is one chain = 20.1168 metres. See metric conversions at http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/chains-to-meters.htm

Here is an example of a report: " At 8 chains and 50 links (100 links = a chain) to river and marked tree. At this place I found numerous particles of gold in the sand and in the hills convenient to the river."

(As an aside, I am currently studying a Chinese map of the Dunolly Vic area where east is west, north is south etc) arghhhhhh

Hope it helps.

Hi Loamer, I couldn't have said it any better myself (if I knew anything about it lol) I'm still puzzled with the chains. Where does the handcuffs and whips fit into the picture :) I think I have to leave it all to the professionals for now, until I am able to learn more about it. Quite interesting.

Loamer, you sound extremely knowledgeable in the skills of being able to read all types of maps. I could learn heaps off you :)

If anyone ever wants assistance I can always lend a hand. Many years in the Military taught me well and I love to pass on my knowledge. If I get enough interest I could always hold a group learning on topo maps in Seymour or Bendigo.

Let me know if you are interested.

GeoKJP said:
If anyone ever wants assistance I can always lend a hand. Many years in the Military taught me well and I love to pass on my knowledge. If I get enough interest I could always hold a group learning on topo maps in Seymour or Bendigo.

Let me know if you are interested.

Very nice of you to offer. I would definately be interested. Let me know when you get few people together.

Hi GeoKJP, thanks for the great offer. Unfortunately I'm down in Sydney but I'm sure there would be many people who would grab the offer. We may bump into each other as my prospecting experiences increase as I'm hoping to head in that direction one day.