making a banjo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... and the reason it's called a banjo?

1384375778_banjo_name.jpg

this is from my copy of "Panning and Prospecting for Beginners" H.K.Garland published 1975 which i bought new way back then....

casper

Thats pretty much the rocker I built, works like a charm for crevicing around low water areas.

bend said:
Thats pretty much the rocker I built, works like a charm for crevicing around low water areas.

I want to build a trad(itional). Rocker / Cradle, and also a trad. Banjo... however the Banjo is my first preference. There's plenty of plans out there - fascinating stuff......... casper

One of my mates uses a 'banjo' and feeds it by throwing the dirt into the hopper and then ladling water with an implement (a wok on a bloody long stick).

I will contact him and ask him to post some photos.

MikeB05 said:
One of my mates uses a 'banjo' and feeds it by throwing the dirt into the hopper and then ladling water with an implement (a wok on a bloody long stick).

I will contact him and ask him to post some photos.

I may draw some flak with this post but YES following your description (query the hopper part) it could be a Cradle or if without the hopper it could be what is traditionally known in Australia as a Banjo - in California what we know as a Banjo is to them a Dip Box and in Alaska it's a wave box... but to confuse things here nowadays in Australia (Queensland) a trad "Wet Jigger" has in recent times with the addition a modern motorised pump to feed it water been reinvented and tagged as a "Banjo" 8.( sacre bleu - many of us would look at it and say hey! that's a highbanker! - but not all so I'm ducking for cover :D

PS in California, Australia and NZ, a Cradle is a Rocker is a Cradle.

casper

So could you use a two tiered high banker with one person feeding it gravel and another bucketing water into it?

Latest posts