Lost in WA Scrub

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nightjar said:
Thanks for the advice fellas, will have a rethink about the "out of date" flares.
We both carry Garmin Rino's and when we park the van up the first exercise is to update the position waypoint. Before we walk away from the vehicle we update vehicle position.
We also calibrate the Rino's after a long trip, they sometimes get 180 out of whack, we experienced this on first trip with them, since regular calibration have never had a problem.

With the Rino's we update car position on each,
Update our location on each individual unit.
Delete current and contact tracks.
and off we go.
Before we loose sight of each other, have a chat to make sure UHF component is working ok.

Mrs Redfin is a mountain goat, and has used the unit to get back to the car on numerous occasions.

I went detecting in Durikai State Forest. Parked the car at the fringe of the dirt road and in the scrub I went. After I had enough of the area about an hour later I knew where the road was. But when I got out of the scrub, I could not believe, I saw my car on the right hand side of me, about 50m away. I could have sworn I'd find it on the left hand side of where I was. One really can get lost so easily!

I always carry my eTrex and mark the position of the car. Then turn it off to save the batteries. I can turn it back on when I'm lost. Didn't luckily happen so far.

And I carry a 2ltr camel bag filled with water over the harness. And a PLB. Sometimes I take the bandage, mostly I forget....

Latest posts