Looking at getting a Holden adventra LX6

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a Holden adventra LX6 2005 model, anyone out there have one of these? Any reviews about their performance would be much appreciated?

Thanks,
Uncle Bob

Thanks Heatho
I'm in Sydney to have a look at one today
Sounds like the good old transmission on some cars where they never get it right. I'm gonna take it for a test run. I hope I don't buy a lemon with problems galore. :)

Don't bother if you plan to use it offroad. When 4wd action got one to test they took it to stockton and couldn't even get it onto the beach. Other than that I know nothing!

G'day Ben78
I'm getting one for the extra height and to just get me out of a sticky situation. I won't be using it for 4x4 duties.

Uncle Bob
Alloytechs if they are not serviced properly are prone to sludge in the top end of the motor which causes a host of issues. So if it doesn't have service history forget it.
Check around the water pump for leaks
The thermostat is at the back of the motor about the gear box and is a barstard to change. If you can use your phone to take pictures of it to see if it leaks.
make sure you can start it cold. If it rattles it could need the timing chains changing.
I have heard of the front transaxle failing.
I have an 05 vz acclaim which I have put over 200000kms on and been good. Has taken me places where a conventional car shouldn't, lol.
Dan84

Hi Dan84
Thanks mate.......
Yeah I know what you mean as I have a VZ '04 with 278,000 on the clock. I now do my own oil and filter changes and use full synthetic oil as a lot of mechanics are using crappy oils. I'm also using an Air Hog filter, which is just as good as the K and N filters but cheaper. These little things help the car along.
I know what you mean about the sludge build up, I've had that twice and it was the mechanics crappy oil that's why I chose to do my own oil changes from then on.
Good to hear about the vehicles we buy and own.
Cheers,
Uncle Bob

I have a 07 Rodeo spacecab ute which has the alloytech 3.6 commodore motor. Was advised to change oil every 10000ks with correct grade... and my timing chain went at 89000ks, cost in 2012 $2900 to fix.

G'day Stevo

Never had that happen so did your timing belt snap off and damage the engine? I'm not familiar with this..........$2900 to fix, gee that's some cash to falk out. :eek:

Uncle Bob there are 3 chains in the alloytec once they stretch the car will wind over and will not start. The issue is common and wasn't really rectified until the sidi alloytec came out. Get on Google and search alloytec timing chain in images.
I have 2400000kms on my vz and the chains have never been changed. The car hasn't be driven lightly, it's been well and truly used to and beyond its capabilities.
It's very hit and miss with timing chain failure
Regards
Dan84

Thanks Dan 84, I will check it out.

Stevo,
I was told to change my water pump at 150I's and mine went at 120K's.
I was really lucky and now my VZ comm has 278,000 in it.

I bought the Holden adventra. '05 LX6 with 174K's on it.
I paid $9,000 cash for it, so far so good....... The owner is retired
I'll get some pictures up later

Uncle Bob said:
G'day Stevo

Never had that happen so did your timing belt snap off and damage the engine? I'm not familiar with this..........$2900 to fix, gee that's some cash to falk out. :eek:

Nope didn't snap a chain or damage engine..knew it was going because it was starting to sound like a diesel and engine warning light came on. I had a fault code scanner to check the fault codes and yes the codes coincided with a stretched timing chain, I was told by the mechanic that had I done the timing chain 12 months earlier it would of cost me about $4000 to fix as Holden were the only ones at that time to have the parts and they were asking a premium for them.

Dan84 said:
I have 2400000kms on my vz and the chains have never been changed. The car hasn't be driven lightly, it's been well and truly used to and beyond its capabilities.

Dan84

Is that legit or a typo? If legit man, that is some serious km!

Latest posts