Lonely Graves Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC75

Steveo
Reaction score
Went out detecting at Simmons Reef in Blackwood today, i didn't find any gold but i came across a lonely grave on top of a hill over looking the valley below. Issac Povey who died from a chill in 1855 at the age of 24.
I heard of the grave years ago but never seen it. The area surrounding the grave is riddled with mine shafts and open reefs where local legend has it that gold was found while his mate dug his grave, presumably on his claim. Poor bugger coming from England in 1854 to better his life then to be struck down from a chill and dies 1 year later.
1463907894_img_2711.jpg

R.I.P

Chewy said:
Poor fella. Makes you wonder how many died through similar circumstances. Young to. To young. :|

Quite a lot Chewy, where my mate used to own a property East of Cooma there is a monument dedicated to all the prospectors that went into the surrounding countryside there and never returned......

It's a bit like that movie A million ways to die in the west. Ya did everything ya could for him doc, but he had a splinter. The tiniest of boo boos could become infected and kill ya. If one of the many serious diseases didn't. Or starvation, or thirst, or exposure. Or other people. It must have been like another world. :|

i have a print out somewhere with a very long list of names that died mining back in the days of old, some as young as 12-13 helping mining and were killed etc, also the grave yard at yalwal (shoalhaven nsw) is an eye opener, not strictly miners/prospectors but almost whole families dying in a short period of the gold rush days, must of been such a hard time to live back then

jamie said:
i have a print out somewhere with a very long list of names that died mining back in the days of old, some as young as 12-13 helping mining and were killed etc, also the grave yard at yalwal (shoalhaven nsw) is an eye opener, not strictly miners/prospectors but almost whole families dying in a short period of the gold rush days, must of been such a hard time to live back then
Was it this one? I was reading it not long ago:
http://www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au/miners/f.htm

I've found a few unmarked graves now, think its up to five or six I've seen. Usually a stack of rocks, sometimes a non-native growing out the middle. Keep forgetting to take photos

PIONEERS by A.B. "Banjo" Paterson

They came of bold and roving stock that would not fixed abide;
They were the sons of field and flock since e'er they learnt to ride,
We may not hope to see such men in these degenerate years
As those explorers of the bush -- the brave old pioneers.

'Twas they who rode the trackless bush in heat and storm and drought;
'Twas they who heard the master-word that called them farther out;
'Twas they who followed up the trail the mountain cattle made,
And pressed across the mighty range where now their bones are laid.

But now the times are dull and slow, the brave old days are dead
When hardy bushmen started out, and forced their way ahead
By tangled scrub and forests grim towards the unknown west,
And spied the far-off promised land from off the range's crest.

Oh! ye that sleep in lonely graves by far-off ridge and plain,
We drink to you in silence now as Christmas comes again,
To you who fought the wilderness through rough unsettled years --
The founders of our nation's life, the brave old pioneers.

RIP Isaac Povey

Half expecting to find or dig up some bones around margret diggings up here.
Found an old book, where a trooper visited the diggings where approximately 2000 chinese were working in the late 1800, s. While there , there trooper had a discussion with the overseer, and it was about bodies that had not been buried, left to rot. He was not happy, and reprimanded the over seer, I will try to find the paragraph, and quote it.

1464182936_20150928_1351291.jpg
This country, that had been pretty thoughly turned over, was once the scene of races between the troopers and the Chinamen.The former would find a corpse lying neglected on the diggings , and would chase the reputed relatives and compel them to take charge of the deceased. But if they got hold of the wrong man, and could not quit their unsavory find, they would take it up and place it in the centre of the gambling house. The right party to move the "trouble" would soon be found.
the book then goes on to describe the chinese gardens and grass. I havnt found where the gambling house was, but have an idea.
This is one of two trees that are different to all others in the area, there are a few sheets of c.g.i around, and some large blocks of quarts. A creek runs behind the tree in the photo, although, pretty stagnent at the time of the pic.

must of been such a hard time to live back then

A good read on this subject is a book called Cape York a Savage Frontier by Rodney Liddell. Also has a great chapter on life as it was on the Palmer River goldfields and much about the life of John Jardine ........................ tough life .......................indeed it was. Finding gold was one thing but many times it cost one their life for doing so :|

cheers Bogger, will try and get a hold of that book.

i was talking with a fellow about tuena one day while i was down there and he was telling me of a spot were the Chinese diggers of the time would bury the deceased before they could send the body home, as i was told not all of the poor men were sent home and that some they still rest there, but that is what i was told anyhow, 150 years is a long time to be gone from home in a lonely grave

I came across this lonley grave in the gold fields of mt Doran its a grave of a 6
1495191618_2017-05-19_17.45.38.jpg
year old girl .iv tried to do a bit of research on her but i didn't find anything maybe some of you guys know some info on her. Im assuming her family where gold miners .the girls name is Mary Paterson .it's a
bit sad to think shes been there in that bush all along for over a 150 years. If i ever go back there for a swing i will have to take her some flowers i don't think she's had any for a very long time. ..

Latest posts