Lone Pine 100 years ago

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Rick
Reaction score
100 years ago today marks the battle of Lone Pine , many fine young men died that day and deserve a moment of our time to remember them. The pine which stands there today is of seed from the original tree which marked the battlefield , the story goes that one of two young brothers from Australia died from a mortar bomb and his brother found him with a pine cone sitting on his chest , he sent seeds from that cone home to his mother in Australia who planted and grew a tree in his memory , years later after hearing of this , the Turkish government requested seed from the mother who provided them and a tree was successfully planted in Turkey once again . To me there is something very symbolic and emotional about that tree which now binds the two countries.

Lest We Forget

1438928464_image.jpg

1438928501_image.jpg

Lest we forget.

Last Friday I was out with a mate on our pushies and ended up in Oatley park here in Sydney and blow me down when I stopped to give the legs a rest near the gates this is what I found.

220px-Lone_Pine_tree_at_entrance_to_Oatley_Park.JPG

According to plaques at its base, the pine tree at the Oatley Park Avenue entrance to Oatley Park in NSW was planted in 1920 by Owen Jones Davies from pine cones obtained from Lone Pine, Gallipoli.

Latest posts