Legal Mods to Van....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can any Caravan owners tell me if this 'Mod ' would be Legal...

Fella has changed (upgraded) the axel, I assume a heavier load carrying one and has Landcruiser hubs fitted to take 265/70/16 LT Tyres...

One concern is the tyres... Would they be ok for the load ?

What would be the pro's and cons and legalities with this type of set-up ....

van 4x4 wheels1_n.jpg
van 4x4 wheels2_n.jpg
Sorry these are the only pics I could get...

LW ( Possible new Van owner)...

Last edited:
LW in NSW we have to have a compliance plate fitted to newer vans, unable to tell when it started, but if it has one that that will tell the size of the wheels and tyres that can be fitted. It should be located in the front boot or on the drawer bar. Looks like this one pictured. Does not say anything about axle size, that should not be a problem anyway. It may have been re-engineered for the new wheels and tyres, but that is costly I understand. Have they been fitted recently and do you have to have an annual inspection like in NSW, if they were fitted some time ago and it looks like it has been done properly, I have changed all my axles and wheels to what ever I want on my vans, but they are earlier than 1978 models. It also looks very much like it has better springs unless the axle has been put under the springs to give it more height and the extra height would make it more unstable at Highway speeds IMO.

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 18-50-37 Marketplace – 2014 New Age Big Red Triple Bunk Caravan Faceb...png

Last edited:
what is the Tyre size given on the vin plate? if not the same may have to be inspected and this changed. LT Tyres will be okay for the load.
If in QLD a road worthy inspection certificate should come with the sale of the van to transfer rego. they should pick up any changes. and also should be a gas certificate issued.

Last edited:
The load rating of the tyre is in effect more important than the actual size. In saying that larger wheels will greatly reduce the load rating / capacity of the axle. A 45 mm axle depending on bearing type being SL, Parallel or Dexter type bearings will all have different load ratings. Regardless of mods (presuming they have up spec to what was) unless van has been mod plated the ATM and GTM legally does not change. When checked by an engineer for a mod plate to increase weights, basically the weakest link will determine the upgrade they will ok. This could be tyres, axle size and or bearing types, coupling rating, breakaway brake system installed and even safety chain ratings which load rating needs to be stamped on chain. Two D shackles for example on one chain is illegal but you can have two hammer locks. I guess easy answer to OP's question is legally regardless of mod to increase load capacity, until van plate or a fitted mod plate states this ( increased weights ) then legally no increase has been achieved. In fact larger wheels may have decreased the vans legal ATM / GTM if submitted for inspection by an engineer. :rolleyes: Last mod plate I had done on a van was $450 for an actual car this is much higher.
Example of how complex it can get, a little unreal in some aspects, but if an accident occurs resulting in a death, then in a coroners enquiry it all becomes very real. very quick :(

Axle.jpg

Last edited:
LW as you looking to purchase, pay particular attention to Tare and ATM / GTM specs as many vans have little difference available, meaning load carrying is very limited, some with only 400 kg to 500 kg payload. Keep in mind tare does not included water tanks full or gas bottles etc. Take a 150 kg out of 400 kg for water and gas and your not left with a real lot to load? In short you can carry stuff all in them :rolleyes: Also check if specs given are ATM or GTM as a 2000 kg ATM van will carry more than a van with a 2100kg GTM (with same tare) as GTM usually allows 250kg for tow ball weight where as ATM does not include ball weight in it's max figures. That is why many Van manufacturers use GTM figure as it makes van look more appealing specs wise. GTM will always be higher than ATM. Good luck in the quest bloke. 👍

Last edited:
So much great information on the PA. Everyone has very valuable info to share when needed, great work. Mackka
Lot of very skilled people amongst members Mackka 👍 Just when I think I'm pretty clever I read Builds by Baz or look at Manpas paintings or MB's improvising skills plus many many more such examples and one is humbled very quickly 🙄🤣🤣🤣

Bogger can you send your mob number via PM please...:) And I understand what you are saying.. Perfectly described the way dumb me can understand.. Thanks Mate..... So the search continues...

Thanks everyone for your answers...:)

I haven't seen the compliance plate so cant say what tyre size should be fitted....... But I feel would be a handful on road..

My thoughts that it would affect the stability at highway speeds...He did these mods after it passed for rego... And is selling Un-registered.. Which means I will need to get the rego done... Not Yearly in QLD, but still I really dont think any roady fella would pass it.... He is being very coy when i asked some hard Questions about what he has done ... ...:rolleyes: You can sell a van 'as is' in QLD... No rego no roady... Then the onus is on the new owner to obtain all the paperwork and checks...

I understand the ATM, Tare and AGM and what im looking for in a van... Just need to find the right van at the right price... Covid prices are still around unfortunately......
Thanks everyone for this very good advice...👍👍👍👍👍

LW...

Last edited:
Just need to find the right van at the right price... Covid prices are still around unfortunately......
I would have thought that bubble might have burst by now, but be patient, mate. With rental costs and mortgage rates steadily rising, it's gotta be only a matter of time before people start looking hard at their caravan/camper that only gets used once a year and making a rational decision to sell it.

LW as you looking to purchase, pay particular attention to Tare and ATM / GTM specs as many vans have little difference available, meaning load carrying is very limited, some with only 400 kg to 500 kg payload. Keep in mind tare does not included water tanks full or gas bottles etc. Take a 150 kg out of 400 kg for water and gas and your not left with a real lot to load? In short you can carry stuff all in them :rolleyes: Also check if specs given are ATM or GTM as a 2000 kg ATM van will carry more than a van with a 2100kg GTM (with same tare) as GTM usually allows 250kg for tow ball weight where as ATM does not include ball weight in it's max figures. That is why many Van manufacturers use GTM figure as it makes van look more appealing specs wise. GTM will always be higher than ATM. Good luck in the quest bloke. 👍
Some vans i have seen only have a load of 250kg... Thats just the rocks i will be collecting... :)

Bogger can you send your ph number via PM please..🚙. Changed phones and some numbers didnt cross over

LW....

I'd be very wary LW, if any modifications have been made to any registered vehicle if not approved by relevant authorities, it automatically becomes illegal on public roads.
Close to every night over the Christmas Holidays on our news were Caravan owners on their roof with their pride n Joy spread over the road in 10,000 pieces...

Bet they were well and truly overloaded and thats the first thing an Insurance Company will look at... Is your Towing car suitable to tow that load and the vans weight as well......... Lucky i have a 2500kg rating on my 4x4 so i can tow most Vans that We are looking at... Not interested in anything over 16ft... For a newbie thats heavy enough for Me...

LW...

Close to every night over the Christmas Holidays on our news were Caravan owners on their roof with their pride n Joy spread over the road in 10,000 pieces...

Bet they were well and truly overloaded and thats the first thing an Insurance Company will look at... Is your Towing car suitable to tow that load and the vans weight as well......... Lucky i have a 2500kg rating on my 4x4 so i can tow most Vans that We are looking at... Not interested in anything over 16ft... For a newbie thats heavy enough for Me...

LW...

Most people I know that have owned a van and used it regularly change up so often I never know what they are going to be in next year. Nothing is perfect, every camper, van or motorhome is a compromise in some way. We have the Isuzu motorhome and there are quite a few things I could improve but we built it while we were working but since them we've not had a regular income so it just has to do for the foreseeable future.

Take it over the pits.
Get it approved or run with the wolves 🤣

Exactly what We are going to Do..... Next Year.... We got our Lease Re-newal .... Not as bad as I expected.... So We are staying on for 12 more months...

Gives Us time to get sorted....

Then We can "Run with the Wolves".....😁😁

LW....

Latest posts