LAVA ROCKS WITH METAL MINERALISATION

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey brothers just wondering if in your prospecting adventures if many or any of you have come accross lava stones with iron mixings.
They looked awesome already by my curiosity got the better of me and i broke some with my lump hammer

To find inside the lava stone where there air pockets are the iron had formed metal balls.
Looks awesome
Has anyone else found similiar?
I have read that not only iron but gold also can be found inside as the lava melts both the metals and they solidify together..

Busy holding baby will take photos and post asap

1601852482_screenshot_20201005-095708_gallery.jpg

Nice find :D :perfect: :clap: :clap: very interesting I've never seen anything like this :Y:

goldierocks has a sticky thread in the gemstones and minerals section for helping identify minerals.
Whack a pic up in there... hes a pro at this stuff.

Awesome and unusual rock you have there SydneySteelfixer are the round balls loose or attached to the inside of the rock, some have a goldish appearance.

cheers dave

Hey dave i just tried gently to remove the steel balls they seem solid in there.
And when i broke the rock in half none broke or fell out.
I will take clearer photos later.
I have several more of the same rocks which i have not broken yet. I will show then before and after later maybe tomorrow when i crack them open.
My kids are being killers today :/

I believe the orange/gold may be rust. Although gold has been found in volcanic lava stones before.
I am happy it has caught your guys curiosity also and i am not alone on this 1.
Cant find any siniliar photos of same thing online either

Before making assumptions you want to be sure it's volcanic by magnifying the matrix to identify it's mineral composition.

I don't know of any magnetic steely looking material that would precipitate out like that. If the balls were a result of precipitation you'd have some form of crystallisation and holes, also some precipitation along lines of travel.

These balls also congregate along a density change in the host matrix and rust out where exposed to the elements.

If I were to guess I'd say the balls are iron trapped in slag as part of the steel making process.

Slag is used in construction/roads etc. so can be transported. Search for images of pig iron slag and compare it to what you have.

Latest posts