Land rover 6x6

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally69

Paul
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with one of these, at 5.6t it may be overkill for a prospecting rig but they look like they could be set up for some serious time in the bush.
1400157070_image.jpg

I have seen a lot of ex army vehicles being auctioned off at Grays Online Australia, don't know what they sold for though.

This is one of a handful on Grays, they are a 4 cylinder diesel. I am thinking I will see how much they are going for this round.

Know nothing about land rovers, so I am in research mode.

as any 6 wheel drive 4wd the two rear main tyres tend to chew out a lot quicker than the rest i have learnt this when i was a soldier as being around these land rovers a lot they are a great 6wd very well maintained some are 6wd as some are only 4wd with a lazy axle at the rear good luck

That looks cool but bear in mind higher maintenance being a 6x6 and at 5.6 tonnes it'd suck off road especially once you have it loaded with provisions. I'd have some concerns taking that thing out bush

Am thinking the 5.6t must be a full-loaded weight rating unless they are armoured; they do not look like they are.

With about a tonne of gear needed fit it out as a camper; am thinking it should hold a reasonably light footprint with the four wheels on the rear. They come with a good recovery winch setup but of course the main idea is to get a rig that will not need to use one.

Pintle hook on the back and a trailer to suit would be good for a quad although power and fuel economy could be a show stopper.

The big question......worth a gamble???

Yeah good point it's probably in gvm weight not kerb. Still extremely heavy for what it is. My 416 UNIMOG is 3600kg and has a gvm of 5 tonnes.
Will do 600,000km+ between engine rebuilds. I think I'll stick with that if I need a capable prospecting vehicle. 170cm deep water crossings are no trouble. If you do find yourself stuck with one though it's self rescue or need a tank to come and get you as chances are no other 4x4 will be able to reach you.
u1100top.jpg

the army stuff is varied

I have inspected about 70 % of these army auctions and found some of those 6x6 LR's that had a genuine 3500 km on the clock , and others with 190,000 km

they will be still selling those off in 10 years time , as they can only sell some as the replacement mercedes G wagons arrive in service

there has been other posts here on the topic , so search for "army" so i dont have to repeat myself

HeadsUp said:
the army stuff is varied

I have inspected about 70 % of these army auctions and found some of those 6x6 LR's that had a genuine 3500 km on the clock , and others with 190,000 km

they will be still selling those off in 10 years time , as they can only sell some as the replacement mercedes G wagons arrive in service

there has been other posts here on the topic , so search for "army" so i dont have to repeat myself

Thanks HeadsUp

It was those posts that got me researching in the first place; some of the chassis in the last auction were so clean you could just about eat off them, very low miles. You say they keep rolling through the system, so I am thinking I will take my time on this one and take a tape measure out to the next auction and have a good think about how I might approach a conversion.:rolleyes:

lol i remember that episode and yeah it's an absolute beast. I haven't found enough gold to pay for even a test drive in one of those. As far as 6x6 go I've always wanted a pinzgauer 712 6x6. A true 6x6 with diff locks and portal axles all round. There were a few very low k (as new) examples sold in oz a couple years back but I let it slide thinking they'd be available later on. I do know a few tour companies bought them and run them for extreme rainforest tracks in far north queensland

Wally69 said:
Has anyone had any experience with one of these, at 5.6t it may be overkill for a prospecting rig but they look like they could be set up for some serious time in the bush.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1400157070_image.jpg

if you do get one , first thing to do is weigh the front and back axles

then find out the maximum legal axle capacity for the state where you live

sit down , calculate the weight of everything you dont need that could be stripped off it

calculate the weight of a body ( aluminium is best option for weight saving and fuel economy )

add the weights of everything you might carry , and position those to get even weight distribution left and right , while getting the best weight distribution front and rear too

dont put too much weight on the front axle as it will bog in soft ground and wear out the brakes too

try to proportion load evenly over the axles

if you plan it out carefully first you could get yourself one awesome touring / camper rig

many of them come with a big winch

i saw two of these that sold a while back for around $15,500 , one of them had a genuine 3500 km on the clock , the other one 57,000 km

they are turbo engines in the perrenti's too

Philthy said:
Wally,

Drop me a line for any info that you need.

I've spent 18 years in the Military working on these.

Cheers
Philthy

It is good to know I now have a resident expert on tap, appreciate the offer.

Just found out they are classed as a light truck in NSW and I will need to upgrade my licence, thinking this means the rego and insurance will be hefty as well.

What is your general opinion of them Philthy, would you have a crack at converting one or go for something else?

I think they would be a great camping rig if set up right, the 6x6 can tow a fair bit too. We have a heap of the 1250kg trailers that should be going up to sales soon. We put a 1000kg generator in them and it tows quite well.

If you could score one with the Ambulance pod on it, then even better, its got cupboards, storage and beds.

The biggest issue that we've had on them are the wheel seals going, but that could also be poor maintenance.

My current breakdown/recovery vehicle is a Hino 4x4 truck with duals on the rear. Its fitted with a dual compartment cargo area. The first one has a side load full height roller door and can easily fit a quad bike and ramps. The rear has tool trays, small lathe, drill press oxy torch ect. A honda 3kva generator is built in to the truck along with extra air tanks and it has dual 24v / 240 v power. There is also a full length hydraulic side door on the second area so when thats up, it provides an awning area. Thats a serious toy to buy when it eventually goes to auction. We have actually spoke at work on how we would set it up as a camper. The front cargo area fits a double bed.

Latest posts