Kalgoorlie Super Pit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nightjar said:
To North of the Charlotte Mine at the top end of Hannans Street a conveyor projects out over a pit they are back filling. No where near the size of the Super Pit but they are filling a hole.

Isn't that the top end of the old stope called the Glory Hole? I think it goes down to the centre of the Earth or possibly China, whichever comes first!

What is amazing (when having a closer zoomed inspection at the photo) is that some of those boulders are as large, or larger than the big front loading excavator at the base of the pit. That's insane! :eek:

One of my previous jobs was to set up and manage slope monitoring radar systems (Groundprobe) to monitor any slope movement from possible wedge failures, faults etc up at Mt Whaleback. Not sure what they were using in the Superpit, though I am sure they would have had some fore-warning that that section of the pit was going to eventually fail, hence manage the risk via closing off to area personnel and equipment.

That's a damned big pit up at Newman being 5kms long by 1.5kms wide, and roughly 500m deep. The radar system was pretty sensitive as it would pick up movement from blades of grass growing on the benches on the opposite side of the pit, and was alarmed for any slope movement within a predetermined range.

This is the trailer mounted radar rig that I used to tow around to different parts of the pit, basically just set it up to cover an area of interest, and the data gets relayed back to the office via a repeater higher up in the pit. If the alarm goes off due to excessive movement, that section of the pit is evacuated and closed, and is then assessed by the Geotech engineers.

That is just one method of monitoring slope movement, there are many other types of equipment used in conjunction with the radar for greater coverage of the pit.

1540461493_groundprobe.jpg

Hey goldpick, is there a warning on the ground probe radars about going in front of them when they are active?
Or are they low energy output?