It,s not 1918 anymore..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the last 6 months I have come across camps used by detector operators who are still living in 1918..The worst example was Anzac weekend in Tibooburra .where some one camped ,they did clean up their camp site but through the rubbish in the creek..30 plus empty beer cans, Carlton mid..a packet of sultanas ..and a one used 4 slice toast cooker, must not have worked..The car had big chunky tread and I recon they were towing a camper trailer..Not good practice...my next example in Tib was some one who had instant noodle,s and coke cans for lunch and thought it's ok to bury your rubbish, no it's not 1918 take it home with you..my next example guy has a camp and burns his rubbish in the fire ,tins so mini Tuna..again it's not 1918 take it home..If you can take it out into the bush then you can also take it out of the bush..

I don't understand it, i'm now just over 60 years old and when i was growing up it was quite common to see people of an older age then just throwing their rubbish out of cars etc when travelling on holidays etc. My kids are now in their early thirties and i know how much it was drummed into them at school etc and on the tv about littering, and it seemed to get better for a decade or so, but imo it's now getting worse again.
I'm often amazed at how much litter is left at campsites in the scrub and along many rivers and lakes by people who are actually in the bush because they want to be there. I don't understand why they would want to trash something they obviously enjoy?

AtomRat said:
Unfortunately, because they just don't care.
Maybe, but why do they bother going bush, if they don't care as you say, why not just stay at home?
Instead of teaching about transgender relationships and respecting individual sexual and religious choices and so forth in schools, perhaps it's time to teach about basic respect for the bush and other peoples property, because it's becoming obvious that parents have dropped the ball again!!

I want to know what happened to good ol bloody Clean Up Australia Day. It used to be massive here when I was in primary school. Everyone and their families gathered and had bags and picking up tools supplied. Oh that's right, privatisation of our tips and recycling depots. The govt can blame it on themselves for such acts of disgust. Picking up, cleaning up and disposing of rubbish has always been such a major thing in my life and how I was brought up, my children are the same. They don't understand why when we go out, the gutters are clogged with take away, the grass littered with lolly wrappers and cans.

They go bush because its where they can eff up, not get told off and move onwards to the next spot. 80km of 4x4 tracks removed in one forest here due to just 4x4 and their mess and dumping. Now there's even more being sealed by rock, dozer holes..just all blocked due to idiots and still continues. If it gets blocked..they simply pull the rock out the way or make a new track.

Your correct about what's going on in schooling, even my daughters school is a disgrace of floating rubbish and teachers and parents ignore it like its normal. Its not what we can see, its what we can't see as well. It all breaks up into micro plastic which is causing major major concerns. At least some countries have started trying solutions, like banning plastic bottles, why hasn't australia.

Its the same at land based fishing spots, grubs everywhere. I picked up a garbage bag full of crap, including a bbq chook frame left in its woolie bag, burbon and cola cans chip packets etc, at a patch that has been flogged. Was at another area a few days ago, and found no rubbish at all, but I reckon I will once the grass is burnt. Good thing is, I reckon blokes who leave metal rubbish on gold fields have no intention of returning to that spot.

Same here. Cadell swimming hole was infested with terrorists over Anzac/school holidays. I drove through yesterday. The designated wheelie bins are full, but the filthy pigs have just piled the rubbish up and up and up- you could barely even see the bins. One good gust of wind or a fox and it's everywhere. Perhaps we need a dedicated rubbish arm of the police force?? At the very least some hefty fines and enforcement.

davent said:
Its the same at land based fishing spots, grubs everywhere. I picked up a garbage bag full of crap, including a bbq chook frame left in its woolie bag, burbon and cola cans chip packets etc, at a patch that has been flogged. Was at another area a few days ago, and found no rubbish at all, but I reckon I will once the grass is burnt. Good thing is, I reckon blokes who leave metal rubbish on gold fields have no intention of returning to that spot.
I wrote an editorial in the magazine last year i think it was where i was basically calling for all anglers who care to start screaming and shaming the 'bottom feeders' at Seven Gates at Lake Eucumbene who were trashing the lake shore so badly that the place was/is in danger of being shutoff to the general public.
You know what? I got two replies only from readers in responce!!! Now i know people care because they tell me about what's going on and where, but most don't care enough, or are prepared to do anything about it, they just want to go out and relax and pursue their hobbies without having to fight and protect their chosen hobby/sport. Basically they want to complain and have somebody else do something about it.
Well, i've got news for those people, it's almost too late not to take a stand, the 'self righteous city greens' have a strengthening voice, do care (in their own bamby/nanny state way) and won't rest until a lot of the practises us bush goers now take for granted are banned or restricted to the point where it won't be worth trying to find solitude in the state forests or remaining wilderness areas.

If those of us that cherish our outdoor lifestyles aren't prepared to stand up/call out and shame those that do the wrong thing then for the sake of our bush perhaps we do deserve to loose our access, and if that's the case, we'll have no one to blame but ourselves and our own apathy.

I am amazed at the items of rubbish I find when hiking into places let alone the remote spots I get the Hilux in and not so remote spots where you see 2WD access and this is not rubbish that has floated in with floods or run off, its camp leftovers and discarded items.

We do rubbish runs from our camp when needed and and a final cleanup before we pack up which includes disposable items that has been left from the previous mobs and final day is a detailed cleanup of smaller bits overlooked.

Our footprint is minimal and only evident from new ash from fire pits. We dig one foot holes to have a dump in away from the river and tracks which is then filled, if digging in the same spot a few months later for a dump there is no evidence of paper and contents as its all biodegraded. We even set up a shower and bucket water away from the river so there is no discharge into the system and disperses to filter through the ground. Clearly others don't have our morals.

I am utterly disgusted every time I go upstream/downstream and find booze bottles and cans, chip packets, cigarette packets even takeaway coffee cups clearly just thrown from vehicle windows and the worse having seen which is common someone had a dump on the track with paper everywhere. Even people having a shite right in the middle of these little isolated camp spots which would house a family, couple of mates team or a one man band, disgusting!

I love talking to the locals that have their properties back up onto the rivers every chance I get when going into these place and they are clearly angry and frustrated and lobby to have access restricted at every annual council meeting because of these bad irresponsible apples, young and old.

We should be taking more photos and posting them for awareness. I have seen a few threads on here regarding this matter during the years so perhaps a sticky needs to be added to condition folks and educate.

I will be taking more photos from now on.

Yeah i agree yass. I do more remote flyfishing than prospecting, and one thing i see constantly, other than tbe usual rubbish dumps of littering pigs, is from otherwise respectful fishers.

What they must do is clean up their rubbish, pack up the camp site and get ready to depart, then before they leave they finish a couple of cans, bag od chips, couple of fags, then toss them into the fire they just put out.

Soooooo many times i see these fireplaces with 2-4 empties and a snack wrapper and always fresh butts. Really peeves me off to think they clean up, then toss the last on the ground as they depart. Drives me nuts, i try to clean up, but its soooooo common.... Rant over.

Another problem that rears its head when discussing and publicising these matters on forums like this and others is that us as detectorists, anglers, hunters, 4WDers etc become paranoid that 'the self righteous greens' and 'anti this and anti that brigade' will use what we say here against us.
Well, that may be the case, but if we act like ostriches and don't speak up and call out the bad eggs and bad practises we might as well just bow and submit to those that want to shut us down. The 'meek and silent majority' will never inherit the earth when it comes to standing up against those that want to trash our bush or shut down legitimate outdoor hobbies.

Wolfy said:
Yeah i agree yass. I do more remote flyfishing than prospecting, and one thing i see constantly, other than tbe usual rubbish dumps of littering pigs, is from otherwise respectful fishers.

What they must do is clean up their rubbish, pack up the camp site and get ready to depart, then before they leave they finish a couple of cans, bag od chips, couple of fags, then toss them into the fire they just put out.

Soooooo many times i see these fireplaces with 2-4 empties and a snack wrapper and always fresh butts. Really peeves me off to think they clean up, then toss the last on the ground as they depart. Drives me nuts, i try to clean up, but its soooooo common.... Rant over.
Yep, i'm a flyfisher also, and we as a group tend to think of ourselves as above other anglers. But from my experience there's plenty of our ranks who also don't give a shite.

And what about all the diggings you come across where some lazy #%^* has dumped a whole trailer or boot load ....... Everything from tyres, furniture, metal ...... Even the kitchen sink.
No attempt to even dig a hole. Just dumped in plain site. I dont know how people like that can live with themselves. They obviously have a kangaroo loose in the top paddock. And like so many things these days it just the minority and extremists that are the offenders and destroy the piece and tranquility of the world. I'm sure authorities understand this, but it doesn't help the situation.
:mad:

Dig'n-it said:
And what about all the diggings you come across where some lazy #%^* has dumped a whole trailer or boot load ....... Everything from tyres, furniture, metal ...... Even the kitchen sink.
No attempt to even dig a hole. Just dumped in plain site. I dont know how people like that can live with themselves. They obviously have a kangaroo loose in the top paddock. And like so many things these days it just the minority and extremists that are the offenders and destroy the piece and tranquility of the world. I'm sure authorities understand this, but it doesn't help the situation.
:mad:
That's where you look to find the incriminating evidence, all you need find is an address on a bit of paper in amongst it all, they are after all dumb enough to dump there, so may also be dumb enough to leave a paper trail too. ;) ;) 8)

SCROUNGER said:
Wolfy said:

Yep, i'm a flyfisher also, and we as a group tend to think of ourselves as above other anglers. But from my experience there's plenty of our ranks who also don't give a shite.

I hate it when i am trying to enjoy my solitude and 'wilderness' experience but when you look at the ground its littered with fag ends, bottle tops and ring pulls.

Thats even without the usual dunny paper, tinnies and other crap.

SCROUNGER said:
Another problem that rears its head when discussing and publicising these matters on forums like this and others is that us as detectorists, anglers, hunters, 4WDers etc become paranoid that 'the self righteous greens' and 'anti this and anti that brigade' will use what we say here against us.
Well, that may be the case, but if we act like ostriches and don't speak up and call out the bad eggs and bad practises we might as well just bow and submit to those that want to shut us down. The 'meek and silent majority' will never inherit the earth when it comes to standing up against those that want to trash our bush or shut down legitimate outdoor hobbies.

At least if somebody were to peruse our pages it would be quite obvious that some behaviour is not typical and we do have standards... Self imposed ones at that.

I would welcome anybody to have a look and see that we as a group are probably more angry about these bastards than they are!

Sad thing Wolfy is that the green machine and the do gooders will take all that stuff and lump us all in the same boat when they try to exclude the detectorist from the few places giving us access. All we can keep trying to do is to campaign for access and against the rubbish dumpers.

Latest posts