Is it really that easy to Sluice for gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep it's that easy, once you get the flow rate and angle of the box right it's just a matter of feeding your classified material through the sluice.
Still got to pan the final cons though.

That video pretty much sums up sluicing, it's definitely a lot quicker than panning. Although it's not difficult to run a sluice as such, you do need to run gold bearing material through it to produce results.

I guess I got my thoughts wrong on how hard it can be from watching those documentaries Jungle Gold - Gold rush and Bearing sea gold haha, After watching his video it does look straight forward and not as expensive to set up.. I guess it all comes down to research and hitting the right areas :cool:
Thanks guys

So why on earth do I walk for miles and miles, getting lost in the process, swinging a detector, and get nothing! All I need to do is find a gold bearing creek. Now that's a thought!!!!!!

Tassie Daz said:
So why on earth do I walk for miles and miles, getting lost in the process, swinging a detector, and get nothing! All I need to do is find a gold bearing creek. Now that's a thought!!!!!!
We share the same thoughts mate lol.. It looks fun digging up a river

Nugget said:
That video pretty much sums up sluicing, it's definitely a lot quicker than panning. Although it's not difficult to run a sluice as such, you do need to run gold bearing material through it to produce results.

Yup pretty much neatly sums up sluicing but could have done without his unfortunate comment at the 12:43 mark. I'm sure he didn't mean it literally, just bravado!

casper

Psssst: did you notice the Pelican pick he was using.

TenOunce Tone said:
And here in lays the problem.. finding that elusive couple of square meters of the elusive gold bearing creek!!

Cheers, Tone

Add on top of that a creek that is flowing.

I would sluice up where I am, but everything is dry as. So stuck with dry panning or using a detector.

Merely an observation but old mate could have saved himself a bit of time, putting the whole lot in one bucket left me scratching my head. Id separate the mat and pan that out, and put the rest in another bucket and just stick to what was in the mat first putting it all together just means it ends up in the same pan. Good overview though. Credit to Tones comment, the tricky part is finding a decent spot to process, i thought the guy might do better, he seemed to have the right idea. When he said you have to watch for glass i figured he was digging the right spot, its something i target in on, glass and lead shot seen to drop in the same spot as good gold, not a certainty but its a correlation that has paid off in my observations. Sluicng its alot of fun, very addictive chasing colours in the streams and creeks, go for it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

yep sluicing is in my opinion one of the simplest most enjoyable ways to prospect, with a little know how to setup and playing in a good gold bearing area with the right equipment the serenity is priceless.

Yep, by the creek, water gurgling by, in the cool, and trapping tiny lumps of yellow. What could be better. Well, what we all wish we could find, that's what........1,2 or 55 ozs in the shape of an alpacas head that's what. Sadly only the very fortunate find them. But the rest of us keep hoping, don't we.

To answer your question...I was up at Tuena last week. I took my AT Gold and pans and river sluice.

Now it was my first time and I thought I'd swing in the area I was in to find a spot to start digging...to put through the sluice. Well, I set up my sluice in 20 minutes (you just can't throw it down...you got to move rocks and get the flow right.)

So I detected for 90+ mins and didn't get any good beeps. I gave up and grabbed a pile of dirt that looked good and filled my pan....I then put that through my river sluice. took 15 mins. I got 10 nice colors when I did the clean up at home.

I had more fun in the 15 minutes and didn't even know if I had any gold. I was actually a bit pissed as I thought I was just washing rocks. So I'm personally leaning towards sluicing...it's just more fun. I may get a highbanker soon too.

It looks fun and Defo sounds fun, I'd happily give it a go but I live near the city and it's a loooooooong drive to reach the gold areas :(

BTW...Went I was finished with my clean up, I had my 10 colors in the plan. I put the AT Gold detector over them and not a sound. That was a eye opener.

Ok heres a question, Maybe Nugget you will know best since you live not far from me, Where's the closest place to me I could sluice at ? I live near the CBD in Sydney next to Airport ?

GOLD Billyen said:
BTW...Went I was finished with my clean up, I had my 10 colors in the plan. I put the AT Gold detector over them and not a sound. That was a eye opener.

If the gold is too small it won't be picked up by the AT Gold, this is also dependent on the coil and settings being used.

BrisJoe said:
TenOunce Tone said:
And here in lays the problem.. finding that elusive couple of square meters of the elusive gold bearing creek!!

Cheers, Tone

Add on top of that a creek that is flowing.

I would sluice up where I am, but everything is dry as. So stuck with dry panning or using a detector.

maybe you could plan ahead, dig small dam and line it with a tarp or concreters black plastic from bunnings, rocks as dam wall, clay to seal it, silt fence set up above your sluicing to keep water clean, dig small water races to increase catchment, a small rut starts a bigger one, this also will concerntrate fine gold into your dam over time if where you build your dam is gold bearing ;) :cool:

Danmuss said:
Ok heres a question, Maybe Nugget you will know best since you live not far from me, Where's the closest place to me I could sluice at ? I live near the CBD in Sydney next to Airport ?

Do a search on this site on reviews of sluices.
There's different styles, brands etc.
Have a look at the MacKirk sluices. Very simple, light & catch the finest gold. You'd be pushing to find a bad review on them...

As for where to buy a sluice, check out some of the site sponsors or in our trade directory.
Most places post out if your not local to them

Latest posts