Internet coverage out bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any info on using this technology on Android yet?
if you mean using your android to make phone calls over the starlink internet connection, then yes we do it all the time, just set your phone to use WiFi calling and you can receive and make phone calls, no different to when using the phone in town on the normal connection via Telstra or whoever your with

if you mean using your android to make phone calls over the starlink internet connection, then yes we do it all the time, just set your phone to use WiFi calling and you can receive and make phone calls, no different to when using the phone in town on the normal connection via Telstra or whoever your with
Dave, I was referring to Hippyty79's testing of his iphone and the grubstakes referenced comment:
"Present bright spots on the horizon are that the latest generation of Apple iPhones - so far in North America only - can in an emergency utilise existing satellite links to get a message for help to authorities. Also, Starlink are starting to experimentally test use of their ever-growing satellite constellation to transmit/receive calls directly to/from mobile phones. The future for simple, universal remote area comms looks promising and probably within the next 10 years."

For a rough comparison of the ranges necessary for the earthbound equipment, these are the orbit heights above Earth of the various well-known communications system satellites:
NBN Sky Muster (geo-stationary/fixed orbit) = 35,768 km
Iridium (Low Earth Orbit) = 485 km
Starlink (Low Earth Orbit) = 340-614 km

Geo-stationary satellites orbit at the same speed that the Earth rotates, so they are always at the the same place in the sky above, but a very long distance away. Low Earth Orbit satellites move across the sky, so a phone using them is constantly tracking the nearest members of the satellite constellation and switching seamlessly between them to maintain its communications link. This is basically the same thing earthbound mobile phones do with cell towers as the phone is moved from place to place, but over a much greater distance with the satellites.

Dave, I was referring to Hippyty79's testing of his iphone and the grubstakes referenced comment:
"Present bright spots on the horizon are that the latest generation of Apple iPhones - so far in North America only - can in an emergency utilise existing satellite links to get a message for help to authorities. Also, Starlink are starting to experimentally test use of their ever-growing satellite constellation to transmit/receive calls directly to/from mobile phones. The future for simple, universal remote area comms looks promising and probably within the next 10 years."
I’m not to sure about android phones, from a google search the latest Samsung was rumoured prior to its release as going to have emergency satellite sos, but never came through.
I’m not sure how the technology works and if it’s something a firmware update could activate?
Its active in Aus with iPhone 14 onwards though, at the moment you can sos to emergency services and send your location to friends and family that you are sharing your location with on the find my phone app, once every 15mins.
I still wouldn’t substitute it for a plb, you’ve only got to drop and smash the screen and your knacked, but it is a bonus having a bit of extra assurance, particularly if the issue isn’t life threatening, eg breakdown, twisted ankle, bung knee.
Here’s a read up on it.

https://www.apple.com/au/newsroom/2...satellite-available-in-australia-new-zealand/

Latest posts