Inglewood Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Katabatic said:
condor22 said:
If you are navigating obstacles, it would then become difficult to detect. :)

Some of the best detecting can be had in the vicinity of obstacles....'cause every other bugger goes around them :)

I was referring to using a GPS to navigate at the same time. We all have to step over the fallen branch or duck the low hangers lol.

Just remember to walk in a straight line to get out at Inglewood. There are track all through out the area and there isn't more then 400 metres between any of them. The greatest distance would be if you walked north from Gropers gully. But if you do walk that much you wouldn't be detecting very well. I can remember going out with a group of detectorist and the group leader suggested that the gold was in a certain direction and about 5 hours of waiting for one member to return. A police car pulled up and out jumped the certain individual got lost and was picked up walking down the highway 15kms from Inglewood. Not sure what he found but he covered a lot of ground. This was long before GPS and mobile phones.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That pretty well covers most of the GT detecting areas in the same way. It might not be the track your car is on but it will probably lead to it. I checked my Vicmap topo a few years back, there were very few areas not within less than a km from a track in any direction, most half that or less.

Okay - so against my better judgement, we went back to the devils forest, this time armed with the SDC 2300 and 5000, both with small elliptical coils to get some swing-ability.

We went deeper into the beast and spent half the day in that area. The plan was executed; prepare and hike in BEFORE detecting to keep us on track and in shape for a long day.

Mistake 1.) Forgetting my neck and back issues regardless of any "plan" :rolleyes:

Mistake 2.) By comparison, the 5000 detected so much more ground noise, iron stone/hot rocks etc...it became annoying :mad: - the GPZ was much quieter.

We drove (light blue) through a camp area that turned into a washed/surfaced area before we found ourselves driving up a creek bed! Then marked our waypoints, hiked (light grey area) further up the creek and turned right into the scrub.

I'm not for one moment suggesting it's not worth the visit, but today cemented the predicament my body's mobility finds itself. It's all open flat-ish land for the foreseeable future. Still, we have only scratched the surface in this forest noting there were other more accessible areas to investigate.

I dug a few shot gun pellets. The wife had more success with the 2300 not experiencing the ironstone and ground noise as much, but spent her day digging mostly lots of tiny trash.

That bush is so thick, I tripped a few times and bush held me up before I could fall any further. Also, there was more evidence of detectorists among that bush than I thought given how thick it was.

There were random old timers diggings that had bought up much ironstone and gravel - places I can see gold might want to hide among. The lower areas, and creek bed leading out were mainly clay wash with patches of gravel.

1612402551_inglewood-again.jpg

Who knows, you might find me posting again that I ventured into this region in the future. But for now - my back and neck have said to give it a break 8.( I'd want to be looking at areas of less ironstone or use the 7000 with smaller coil, easier forest, and smarter planning.... :)

Sorry to here about your physical issues. You say your wife had more success, did she find any yella dirt, lol.

I don't have any physical issues as such except age; :) but have found lately that if I use my 5000 all day especially a bigger coil, I suffer the aches next day. So I now swing the 5000 in the morning and the 2300 in the arvo, or the 2300 all day depending on location.

condor22 said:
Sorry to here about your physical issues. You say your wife had more success, did she find any yella dirt, lol.

I don't have any physical issues as such except age; :) but have found lately that if I use my 5000 all day especially a bigger coil, I suffer the aches next day. So I now swing the 5000 in the morning and the 2300 in the arvo, or the 2300 all day depending on location.

Good to hear you have a workable combination going there, do you find it takes a while to readjust when changing?

Unfortunately no color, we had plenty of time coil-to-the-ground but struggled with the iron/stone content in this area. Did the right thing, worked areas thoroughly, cleared certain spots, poked coils under everything. The SDC got more targets but no color.

The 5000 was nice and light to swing, like really noticeable but the ergonomics didn't suit my back running with headphones and battery on back plus general grip weight layout. No color though.... It's specific to me I know, but I now find the 7000 easier to swing and hear targets (I run a tweeked WM12 - secret).

The weight balances better for my particular condition, in saying that, I have a Z-Search on order and a light weight CTX 3030 battery - but only gets half the power so need to change it more often. This will make life easier I hope???

A-team said:
but I now find the 7000 easier to swing and hear targets (I run a tweeked WM12 - secret).

Honestly can't understand why you'd want to a a modded 5000 when you have a GPZ in your arsenal.

SDC will find small gold closer to the surface (but will also get larger ones but not as deep as the GPX/GPZ).
The GPZ will find that same small gold that the SDC picks up AS WELL AS the large deep nuggets (and cover a larger area).

Sadly ironstone will be found everywhere, have to learn to ID it quickly and move on rather than dumbing down the machine.

If Inglewood was a bust for you, hope the next area (or your next Inglewood trip) pays off.

OH .... have no idea what a tweeked WM12 is but it doesn't sound good.

I use the Proswing harness with duel support bars for both detectors as I have had shoulder injuries years ago. This takes the load off my shoulders which are the first parts to ache from overuse.

I don't find any issue swapping between them either way. I usually go to Vic in April for a few weeks and again in August, so between say Oct and April I rarely get any use form them. It takes me a day or 2 to get back into it April, but I've found colour almost every day especially SDC.

My trip this year (all things falling into place re the virus) I want to look for the small stuff with the 2300. Re the GPX5000, I got a new coil, Detech 18" concentric, which is DD and Mono depending on mode setup along with my 15" Detech mono which found the 3gr in my Avatar pic. Going to try looking for some bigger deeper colour with it and am researching some areas for the trips.

I've briefly swung a 7000 and found it a "heavy" detector to swing.

Re Inglewood, I have tracklogs of the areas I've driven, I'll screen shot them and post.

Teemore said:
A-team said:
but I now find the 7000 easier to swing and hear targets (I run a tweeked WM12 - secret).

Honestly can't understand why you'd want to a a modded 5000 when you have a GPZ in your arsenal.

SDC will find small gold closer to the surface (but will also get larger ones but not as deep as the GPX/GPZ).
The GPZ will find that same small gold that the SDC picks up AS WELL AS the large deep nuggets (and cover a larger area).

Sadly ironstone will be found everywhere, have to learn to ID it quickly and move on rather than dumbing down the machine.

If Inglewood was a bust for you, hope the next area (or your next Inglewood trip) pays off.

OH .... have no idea what a tweeked WM12 is but it doesn't sound good.

Actually have decided to sell the 5000, open to decent offers!

The ironstone at this particular area, I have never experienced before. And I've been to quite a few places prospecting! The signals weren't wavy, they were strong and definitive - to the point I was smashing every one looking for the yellow inside. It was weird...

WM12 - nothing serious, just can hear it better!

I had a crack at Inglewood yesterday after reading this thread. Jesus Christ it is dense in some areas.

I just got a 4500 so I wanted to test the 17 nugget finder advantage that came with it. Nice coil, but maybe too big for the density of bush. I didnt get a signal in the three hours I was there.

I spent the arvo swinging the sdc around big timber gully I think trying to find the Sebastian shaft and mullock heaps to try and score some easy targets but no luck. Plenty of highly mineralised hot rocks that made very sharp tones on the sdc.

Maybe next time. Maybe Ill swing the commander around a bit or maybe Ill pick up an evo at some point.

Dandyrack27 said:
I had a crack at Inglewood yesterday after reading this thread. Jesus Christ it is dense in some areas.

I just got a 4500 so I wanted to test the 17 nugget finder advantage that came with it. Nice coil, but maybe too big for the density of bush. I didnt get a signal in the three hours I was there.

I spent the arvo swinging the sdc around big timber gully I think trying to find the Sebastian shaft and mullock heaps to try and score some easy targets but no luck. Plenty of highly mineralised hot rocks that made very sharp tones on the sdc.

Maybe next time. Maybe Ill swing the commander around a bit or maybe Ill pick up an evo at some point.

Great for having a crack at Inglewood, that bush is killer thick....especially north and east.

As I understand it, this place still has a lot of small stuff waiting to be found. As you can see by the maps, it's a huge area, and well worked - I finally found a new - more open area and found a tiny piece.

The dense bush areas holds many surprises that can only be found with a small coil and some crawling on hands and knees. The other areas, if you spend your time low and slow - you "might" get a bit. We ended up going elsewhere and did much better though.

We used GPZ's there the last time and had little to no problems with the ironstone. Previously we had a GPX and SDC that struggled.

Did Someone say "Inglewood" Love the place, Angry bush is my favorite place to spend a day in

Would load my back pack up and head in at about 9:30am and wouldn't come out till 3-4pm

You don't need a 7000 in this bush the 2300 will do just fine as the ground is very shallow in the scrub and there is no way you can swing a coil any bigger hen a 8-10" coil.

Ally Flats has been good for many years now but after the reason Control Burn I'm sure many have given the once over again.

I was there that first weekend of the Burn and boy there were alot of vehicles passing our campsite.

Did not end up with any big lump but still manage to pick some bits off my old runs there.

David

I haven't been to Inglewood for a few years. Did several trips there and found a collection of small bits in various locations. This thread reminded me of one occasion where the bush got thicker the further I went. I ended up disoriented, stressed and scratched up. With the help of yelling to my detecting buddy who was just in earshot I managed to get out of the thickest scrub. We also had UHF comms. No phone signal.

Was a worry for a while that I was not seemingly getting out of the thick stuff. Detecting gear also made it harder. Had to strip it off to concentrate on getting out.

It all happened to easily and quickly.

Cheers :8

Just wondering if there are any/many areas that are shallow enough around Inglewood to run the sadie coil (nf 8" x 6") on my 4500? Def sounds too dense and scrubby for the 15" nf (mine's spoked as well so catches EVERY twig). Hoping to head out that way next week, will be my first time around Inglewood

My Daughter got hold of a Gold monster for a week are there any mullock heaps near Inglewood, Tarnagulla area she could try her luck?

Hi NED, loads of places to search in and around the area. Having said that I would strongly suggest you do some training first. The GM first time out can be very frustrating and appear to be hopeless. However, once you understand it and know the signals you will have some success. Loads of places offer training in the area.

good luck.

Latest posts