In The Blood

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the past couple of years I have been researching my family history and only just recently discovered that my great, great grandfather spent time on the Turon. His name (John Dixon) is listed on the Sofala District Electoral Roll, 1860/1861.No idea how successful he was on the gold, but according to family records, he along with 2 sons (one being my great grandfather also named John) moved on to the northern rivers of NSW where they got into cedar cutting.

A bit of a bust up in the family saw my great grandfather move south where he tried his luck gold prospecting in the Barringtons up from Nundle and underground at Monkarai, north of Dungog. From all accounts, he had some success because he was able to purchase land near Gloucester and also a couple of thousand acres near Nowendoc during the 1880's. My grandfather (John - again) was born in 1893 and after seeing service in WW1, he wandered around the country for a few years scratching for gold, spent a bit of time in the PNG highlands and finally settled in Bathurst where he wasn't far from the gold.

I always wondered why I had a passion for the yellow stuff and it seems that it's in the blood.

How about others? Are you genetically programmed to chase the elusive mineral or is it just something that seemed to be a good idea?

Jeff

No gold history in my family as far as I know. We grew up just over the hill from the Gold Creek reservoir near Brisbane and I think it was just the fantasy of getting out there one day and finding a nugget. I used to heard cattle through the water reserve for a local farmer and never came across the mines although I know my brothers did.

I think a lot of people who have had family here since the 1800's would be pleasantly surprised to learn that they had something to do with gold mining, somewhere along the family line...

My family ancestry research revealed a couple of these people.

My great-great-great grandfather, James Macpherson Grant MLA, mined at Bendigo for a while, and ended up being on the defence team that defended the Eureka Rebellion guys in court, and got them off. He also wrote the Land Bill, directly related to miners owning land.

My mum's great uncle was John Campbell Miles, who discovered and named Mt Isa. Say no more...

My grandfather was a gold, gems and opal miner.

My mother panned for gems.

And now I do...

Yeah, I reckon it's in the blood! :)

Nice bit of family history with a bit of pedigree as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Steve

My great great great Grandfather Joseph migrated from England to Australia on the "Moffatt" in 1841.
From there he went on to work as a farmer on MacArthurs Farm Menangle before his wife Ellen passed away in 1854. After this Joseph gathered his large family & moved them to Hill End NSW where in 1856 he was listed as a Gold Miner of Golden Gully, Tambaroora. He died at Golden Gully 1906 (the headstone incorrectly says 1890 - placed later when other family members were buried in the same plot) & is buried in the Church of England cemetery at Tambaroora. His occupations in Australia were listed as farmer, gold miner, prospector, coach builder/wheelwright & had interests in transporting goods to/from the goldfields. His sons & daughter's were all involved in goldfields activity. His son James (my great great grandfather) moved onto Clarke's Creek (Windeyer) marrying a girl from Hargraves. He worked on & owned several gold claims in the area some with his son James (Jnr) my great grandfather. They also had a pub, did bookwork for the miners & transported gold into Mudgee.
Another great great grandfather, Capt Gray, sailed his own ship over to Australia from Scotland. He sold his ship then built & ran one of the first pubs at Circular Quay in Sydney before selling up to chase gold at Windeyer NSW. His daughter married my great grandfather James (Jnr). Capt Gray was injured in an underground mining accident dying from these injuries. He is buried at Windeyer cemetery.
On Mum's side there were also a few gold miners that were around the Bathurst area but I don't know a great deal about them.
My family to this day is involved with mining in the area, & also outside of the area, in one way or another. There are a few of us who like to prospect/fossick for gold etc. as a hobby. I think it does get in the blood!

One of my ancestors through marriage was gold commisioner of NSW during the gold rush, though my ancestors had more to do with the golden fleece than with mining.

robmoto said:
Snafu , at Sofala one part of the land adjacent to the river is called Dixons long Point maybe a conection there perhaps.
Dixon's Long Point is actually West of Hill End on the Macquarie River.
It's where the river crossing is on the 4wd track between Hill End & Orange.

Latest posts