In the Army now

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWright

Steve Wright
Reaction score
G'Day All

I know this is way off topic but I can't resist.

We just got back from a couple of days in Wagga at the Kapooka Army Base, where we watched my son march out as a newly minted soldier. Went through the whole bit and even was one of the squad members that won the Challenge. I can't imagine how tough that 80 days was but it has turned him into a new person. we went into town after the marchout and everyone came up to us and asked how it was going. When he said he was finished they all shook his hand. One shop assistant answered when I asked how they knew he was at Kapooka said " the haircut and the good manners".

We live in Canberra and a little over a year ago he returned home from several years living in Asia. He tried for over a year to get a job here or anywhere for that matter. He has two degrees in Asian languages and politics, speaks two Asian languages and thought he would be a shoe-in as the Goverment said everyone should have Asian languages and experience - remember that one? One day at the Army recruiting centre and they said "come on in". Anyway after over 600 applications the Army took five (that is only 5 out of 600), and only two marched out from the whole region. Now that's a tough gig.

Good on the Army is all I can say.

araluen

Congrats SWright.
Your son did well to get through it and come out with a challenge award.

I spent four years out there as a photographer, so I've got a rough idea what the recruits go through.
Although on a completely different level :)

I always loved watching the recruits change over the 80 days of training.

And I must say I grew a lot of respect for our Army and the job they do.

yes my youngest 2 daughter and son if he doesnt make it to the NRL will certainly be considering military. even doing cadets. because of the end result. awesome stuff.

Congrats to your son SWright. My son actually heads off to Kapooka on Tuesday. I think it will be a very big shock to his system.

Dunno about conscription but a year or so of cadets can be a huge positive influence on the youth, glad to hear a great story SW, you should be proud.

Good on your young bloke, Araluen. The green machine changed my life and he is now part of an army that is one of the most respected and most professional in the world. He has also earned the right to be called a digger and to be part of their legacy. Good on him ;)

Cheers

Col

Tone ,

Well done on your 24 years service dig...good work.

I enlisted in 97' and discharged in 07', 10 years was enough for me with a deployment thrown in.

Aruluen, give your son a congrats for us, it will be by far the most proudest moment and achievement in his life. Its good to see the younger generation of aussies willing to step up and serve the country.

All young people who can't land a job on "civvie street" should consider the services.

Cheers,
Matt

sounds like your son has his head screwed on right. joining the army was something i always wanted to do but kept putting it off. well done to him

Thanks Everyone. Willo1 - tell your son that this will be very tough, there is a lot of yelling and set tasks designed not to win. The invisible bit of rust on your weapon is perhaps my favourite and the answer to EVERTHING is "Yes Corporal!" My son told me its all about staying at it and not quiting no matter what they throw at you. Also the food is s&#t.

araluen

Thanks Araluen, I will let him know. He has been over there a few time with Cadets as well as up to Singleton Army base. He will hate the bit about the food, he loves his food....

i joined in 89 and left in 96 and i can remember Kapooka like it was yesterday,the food gets better once posted to a regular unit.I can remember the cooks at kapooka cooking for 1000 recruits 3 times a day they were complete mental cases LOL.

I spent a couple of years as an Instructor on the other side of Wagga at the RAAF Base.
It's amazing the change that you see in the young men and women during the short time that they spend in recruit training. On saying that though, we did get the odd one or two, that no matter how hard we tried, they were just not cut out for service life.

18 years in the RAAF so far, and no plans on getting out just yet.

I also had 10 years in the army, joined in 1977 and can still recall all of my platoon staff by name. They seem to have some sort of an affect on you. Loved every minute of it (well almost). Anybody that is joining today should be very proud as it appears to be very hard to get accepted these days.

My son marched out of Kapooka and said he really liked the experience. Sent off to Watsonia and is likely to spend some time there in a holding unit while his security clearance is going through. Here is going to be a Bear! but need TSPV and they now tell him he is unlikely to be cleared because he spent time oversear teaching english to Koreans - typical backpacking experience. So he is doing all the courses he can. did 9mm pistol course and is now up at Pucka doing driving courses.

Araluen

Swright, mates son just done his marching out parade around easter. was going to go down but shift work really is a handbrake at times. anyway mates son (luke) reckons the food was allright. so if the food only gets better he is going to enjoy it :)

G'day

My wife and I wnet down for the marchout and I can tell you that the food is no different to when I went through - some of the dishes served up were probably the ones we did not eat back when I was there. I have only ever seen chicken a la King at an arny base and there it was.

araluen

Latest posts