Impact crusher upgrade/replacement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday guys,

I'm thinking of changing my impact crushing rig some what to improve the speed at which it will smash the rocks into nice small mess grade. Currently I am using 6 segments of hardened steel chain that while very easy to swap out as they wear I think they tend to deflect as they impact the ore dropped in, well I think they do I am not going to put my head in there to check. I saw on another website a company using a swing arm mounted in a similar fashion to what I am currently using and it was faced with 2 AR (abrasive resistant) plates but they attached it in a way that left the bolts protruding from the face plate and my thinking is these will wear quite quickly and be a nightmare to change out after loosing there shape. I don't want to wield the plates on as it might ruin the strength because of the heat and make change outs a very long process.

Here's my questions

1. Can AR steel be drilled and tapped as ive never worked with it?
2. Anyone know of a supplier in the Perth area that custom cuts AR Steel that I wont need to sell one of my kids to pay for it?

I'm contemplating changing the entire setup and if I do I'll shoot up some pics as I build it.

Cheers for any help

If you want to drill the AR (or Bisalloy), treat it the same as Stainless Steel. In a drill press, as slow as it can go, and with as much pressure as possible, without snapping the bit of course. Use Trefolex. cutting compound or a vegetable based oil. If you let the pressure off at all, and the drill spins on the metal, the material will work harden straight away ( you'll see the drill bit glow red.... cactus).
You can also spot anneal the area, heat only the spot to be drilled to a dull red and let cool in air. Should drill fairly easy now. Not sure of who is who in Perth, yellow pages for any engineering company in the mining game.

What about hitting up a mining engineering place or maint contrator for a second hand tooth from a ore digger..

Just a thought

Cheers, Tone

Good ideas, second hand tooth would probable work, not at wide as I intended tho but could stagger them as it might even help feed the ore through. Only problem I could see would be getting the balance close so that the machine didn't rip it self apart.

Cheers, really looking forward to it now think I might start fresh and start from scratch.

Nightjar said:
The cheapest and simplest method would be to cut mild steel plates to your requirements then purchase a packet of hard facing electrodes.
Tack the plate to a strong back before hard facing to reduce distortion.
yes, that would work too, nice one.

Yeah might be the easiest option, should be able to keep the balance issues to a minimum as long as they weight the same. I'll give it a go and see how it performs.

Skara said:
Gday guys,

I'm thinking of changing my impact crushing rig some what to improve the speed at which it will smash the rocks into nice small mess grade. Currently I am using 6 segments of hardened steel chain that while very easy to swap out as they wear I think they tend to deflect as they impact the ore dropped in, well I think they do I am not going to put my head in there to check. I saw on another website a company using a swing arm mounted in a similar fashion to what I am currently using and it was faced with 2 AR (abrasive resistant) plates but they attached it in a way that left the bolts protruding from the face plate and my thinking is these will wear quite quickly and be a nightmare to change out after loosing there shape. I don't want to wield the plates on as it might ruin the strength because of the heat and make change outs a very long process.

Here's my questions

1. Can AR steel be drilled and tapped as ive never worked with it?
2. Anyone know of a supplier in the Perth area that custom cuts AR Steel that I wont need to sell one of my kids to pay for it?

I'm contemplating changing the entire setup and if I do I'll shoot up some pics as I build it.

Cheers for any help

G day mate

Try cutting edges, they are in Melb and most states. They supply wear parts for earth excavation, try locking at what we call chocolate blocks,they are for armouring digger buckets for excavation in rock, some of the manufacturers make bolt on ones, and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Hope it helps

John

How did you go with the impactors Skara?
I can help you out with hard facing MIG wire or even wear plates.
I'm just south of Mandurah.

Jake

Latest posts