Identifying crowns land in NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been scouring the internet trying to work out how to distinguish crown land from private land, but really have no idea.

I have been looking at SIX Maps, Dept of Land Registry, and Dept of Crown Land (which is ironically the most useless site out of the lot). But can't, for the life of me, work out whether land is private or public.

Is there any secret out there to determine which is which?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks DrDuck, that's awesome!

Unfortunately the spot I was eyeing off tonight is private. So back to the searching for me. 8.(

Thanks Hippy, saw that post earlier tonight. Grabbed the Tuena maps while I was at it. :cool:

Yes, just because it's crown land, dose not mean you can freely acces it. In nsw, a massive amount of crown land is leased out . And is off limits without permission.

Good point mudgee hunter. And that raises the follow-on question: how do you determine whether you can prospect on crown land? Sometimes the land is labelled either on a map or with signs, which makes it easy, but all too often crown land is nameless. Is asking crownland.nsw.gov.au the only next step?

mudgee hunter said:
Yes, just because it's crown land, dose not mean you can freely acces it. In nsw, a massive amount of crown land is leased out . And is off limits without permission.

"Crown land" is just basically a bad Google search term for finding land to access hey.
I think even fence to fence on railway track lines is crown land!
And it is too vast an area to refine.
Are you surfing a particular area?

I'm currently researching areas just west of Sydney, say from Mudgee to Goulburn. As DrDuck says, finding crown land is easy on Minview; the harder part of the research seems to be finding who manages it. In a separate "Help with Six Maps" thread, mbasko mentioned that nswlrs.com.au sometimes indicates the land manager, but I'm yet to find an example of that.

mudgee hunter said:
"Crown land" is just basically a bad Google search term for finding land to access hey.

mudgee hunter said:
around here i think john holland rules the roost :rolleyes: anything rail they control :power: :power: have seen private property signs :poop: so the rail corridor just may be out of the question 8.(

If you have a particular area say "windeyer" e.g..
Type that into the forums search tool. Top left of screen next to your inbox.
A good start for a reference.
Another good source is the old Douglas Stone book for a rough idea of what is known to have gold in that area.
And yes...... a lot of his maps are now on private property !
So don't take it as gospel.
Keep a recon trip simple for being able to move on.
Don't take a camp set up and pin yourself to one place.
Swag and tin food it.
You will explore better if you are not tied down to one spot. Letting you explore till near dark.
Start a thread in "members meet ups" , you might meet up with a local from there, and get a good head start.
Or even ask members if they have Info of an area...... "A" to "Z" to look, ... except Maybe "X" spot!!!
:lol:

Thanks for the advice.

mudgee hunter said:
If you have a particular area say "windeyer" e.g..
Type that into the forums search tool. Top left of screen next to your inbox.
A good start for a reference.
Another good source is the old Douglas Stone book for a rough idea of what is known to have gold in that area.
And yes...... a lot of his maps are now on private property !
So don't take it as gospel.
Keep a recon trip simple for being able to move on.
Don't take a camp set up and pin yourself to one place.
Swag and tin food it.
You will explore better if you are not tied down to one spot. Letting you explore till near dark.
Start a thread in "members meet ups" , you might meet up with a local from there, and get a good head start.
Or even ask members if they have Info of an area...... "A" to "Z" to look, ... except Maybe "X" spot!!!
:lol:

:Y:
ctxkid said:
mudgee hunter said:
around here i think john holland rules the roost :rolleyes: anything rail they control :power: :power: have seen private property signs :poop: so the rail corridor just may be out of the question 8.(

Rail corridors can only be accessed by people who hold a rail card :Y:

Retirement Stone said:
Rail corridors can only be accessed by people who hold a rail card :Y:

And a SL Key!! ;)
SL key?
1574466259_images.jpeg-1.jpg

Get a MASTER KEY!!! :lol:

Latest posts