Poverty Point- Drake area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if any members have been out to Poverty Point recently?

Not looking for any secret locations but is it worth a visit? Would you be able to run a sluice or is it only suitable for panning?

Access appears to be either

1. down Rocky River road and then up Poverty Point firetrail or

2. Along the Bruxner towards Tenterfield and then in through Timbarra Rd

Is either way accessible? We have been skunked a few times trying to access spots in Girard. Once on a public road which went through private property where the landowners have installed a locked gate. Other times we have been on firetrails which have been blocked by fallen trees.

Its a fair way out so would be good to know in advance if it's even accessible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

How did you go, did you make it up there?
Never been myself but have done a bit of research. One of those places that I'd like to explore but whenever I'm in the area I just end up going where there's guaranteed gold with guaranteed access haha.
From historical records the gold appears to be associated with pyritic granite, and was extremely fine. They would sluice the decomposed granite soil. They also sluiced out all of the watercourses up there. Probably worth a look out of curiosity, dunno if there'd be any gold to find though. There are a few small creeks near there which might be worth investigating. Just need to check up on no fossicking zones as there are some active mining exploration leases in the area.
I know the gated road you are talking about, I wish that gate wasn't there. Nuff said about that.
In Girard have you tried to access Mt Richmond? I haven't

Cheers

I'm not sure I'd go to a lot of trouble to get to a place called Poverty Point. Could be a sign of things to come...
Like Starvation Creek - it lived up to it's name as far as finding gold there too. Zip!

Cheers,
Megsy

This place is very hard to acess poverty point fire trail is private property and the gate is locked the area sits at 900m to 1100m elevation and the climb from Rocky river road is treturas at best you can acess the area from Timbarra road just out of Tenterfeild but it's a long run in and I hear that a local farmer has installed a locked gate the whole area is contaminated land from a spill in the early 2000s the area is under a regeneration by the lease holders and I'm pretty sure the area cannot be accessed.the gold is pyritic from decomposed granite very fine gold and nothing left up there that is accessible

This place is very hard to acess poverty point fire trail is private property and the gate is locked the area sits at 900m to 1100m elevation and the climb from Rocky river road is treturas at best you can acess the area from Timbarra road just out of Tenterfeild but it's a long run in and I hear that a local farmer has installed a locked gate the whole area is contaminated land from a spill in the early 2000s the area is under a regeneration by the lease holders and I'm pretty sure the area cannot be accessed.the gold is pyritic from decomposed granite very fine gold and nothing left up there that is accessible
The gold there is in the granite so its hard rock mining, I worked at the mine till the fearals forced the mine to close and put me out of work, there was no spill, just a rumour started by the payed activists to create fear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts