I think the world has finally gone mad!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had enough!!! This is a rant, so don't read if you don't feel like it.

On the ABC (aka A BULLSHITE NATIONAL BROADCASTER CHANNEL) last night i watched as a so called 'intelligent' commentator tried to stir up some sort of conversation about whether or not the tree hugger loonies out there had it right to say the life of the gorilla in the USA that has been shot is just as important as that of the child that was saved.

GIVE ME STRENGTH

And now i've just read that online petitions at have more than 676,00 signatures demanding "justice for Harambe' the gorilla, and the family is even getting death threats.

Wouldn't happen in Australia, don't bet your house on it!!!

At least in the animal kingdom you know where you stand in the whole scheme of things.
The animals are born to be a hunter or the hunted. Humans can be both as we've seen with the gorilla or with the poor bastard that just lost his leg to a shark in WA.

You see a herd of gazelles and one minute they're fleeing to avoid being eaten by a lion and after one is killed the gazelles go back to calmly feeding again while the lion eats its victim. They don't hate the lions, they just know to avoid them as much as possible.

In the human race we have another level (call them the bleeding heart, self righteous greens if you will), those that feel the need to tell everybody else how they should live their lives and how we shouldn't hunt and kill animals for food or in defence and at the same time threatening other humans with death.

mods, please feel free to edit the section regards greens if it's out of line.

What I come to see with it all, was that they had a quick snap decision to make before the kid recieved serious injury, which the use of tranquilizer would have most llikely provoked. There was no choice and I'm sure it was a tough one at that, but animals are animals and you cannot predict their exact actions just like nature. The boy survived, the zoo should have had better or even sealed enclosure with the forethought of such an occurance to happen being an animal enclosure. This wouldn't have ended in any other way, but could have been prevented, I'm suprised he didn't get too badly knocked up from the 10 mins he was dragged about. The moment before the gorilla fixes his pants, the boy is just looking up at the ape in awe..I can't even imagine what he was thinking at that time. I also believe, like the gorilla experts have claimed the gorilla was not being agressive to the child at any point and more of caring nature.. but this is where it draws the unpredictable line.

On a side note- school crossing attendants have been warned today not to wave to drivers anymore as it causes distraction... :| :rolleyes:

Yep, crazy, and now we've got our new Australian of the year, David Morrison who must be having a 'i'm no longer important and getting any media coverage day' saying that we need to stop calling females guys, fair enough, but as an old bastard, both my wife and i get called 'guys' just about everytime we buy a coffee at an inner city trendy cafe. It annoys us because it sounds so American, not because of our gender!
And we shouldn't call women girls, shite, heaven forbid, or say we shouldn't say 'i'm not your mother' because its gender based and offensive? What, to mothers?

Go back into the bloody army and do some good instead of supporting a ridiculous politically correct fringe element trying to get some airtime because they are feeling neglected and have nothing better to do with their lives except trying to change everybody else.

Words shouldn't offend if there is no intent or harm intended. But if they do offend then the individual victim should call it out on a one on one basis without the need for some dogooders telling us all what we can or can't say within the bounds of common decency and respect for others.

AtomRat said:
What I come to see with it all, was that they had a quick snap decision to make before the kid recieved serious injury, which the use of tranquilizer would have most llikely provoked. There was no choice and I'm sure it was a tough one at that, but animals are animals and you cannot predict their exact actions just like nature. The boy survived, the zoo should have had better or even sealed enclosure with the forethought of such an occurance to happen being an animal enclosure. This wouldn't have ended in any other way, but could have been prevented, I'm suprised he didn't get too badly knocked up from the 10 mins he was dragged about. The moment before the gorilla fixes his pants, the boy is just looking up at the ape in awe..I can't even imagine what he was thinking at that time. I also believe, like the gorilla experts have claimed the gorilla was not being agressive to the child at any point and more of caring nature.. but this is where it draws the line.

On a side note- crossing attendants have been warned today not to wave to drivers anymore as it causes distraction... :| :rolleyes:

Good post AR

I was kinda thinking trank the ape but you make a very good point about that, it's one of those things firstly most of us weren't there and even more relevant is that it wasn't us who had to make that heart breaking decision to kill the ape, supposedly for the childs saftey.

Secondly in my mind *** what was the F***ing kid doing in the enclosure, where were the friggin parents ?????? It may sound harsh to appoint some or most of the blame on the parents but seriously some of them are apparently brain dead!!!! Yeah yeah yeah some kids are little buggers and will disappear in a heart beat, but if the little bugger has a tendency to run off then they need to be more vigilant, they were at the zoo for f***k sake!!

I apportion most of the responsibility of the death of old mate gorilla on the lack of responsibility of the kids parents.

We obviously both need to vent Scrounger

RIP Harambe

Well as Dropbear hinted at, in the 'olden days' natural selection would have kicked in and most likely 'unsuitable parents' wouldn't have even reached child bearing age. These days that isn't the case and the world seems full of people that seem almost incapable of speech let alone bringing up children.

Don't get me wrong, i hate to see any animals killed needlessly and just for the sake of killing, but i'm not against hunting for food or to reduce pests etc.

In this case the parents may be guilty of neglect and of letting their child getting into the enclosure and unfortunately the gorilla has had to pay the price to protect a human, and especially a childs life. Should all otherwise responsible parents be held responsible if their child takes off and gets hit by a car, wanders off into the bush near home and dies as we unfortunately so often witness?

That's why we have the nanny state we do because the parents of today are too bloody scared to let their kids be kids and explore, the parents want to wrap their kids in cotton wool because their little Billy or Missy may break an arm or get taken by some weirdo that you simply can't protect them from.

I wonder how the people who are throwing death threats to the parents would feel if a gorilla escaped and held the possibility of harming their child or loved one?

I'll wait for the result of the investigation before i comment with the facts laid bare...

I do have an 'opinion' on this matter, but to date everyone else is doing a fine job of exposing those, and mine won't add anything more to the conversation, considering i wasn't there...

I do hear & understand Scrounger's pov though...i'd really rather not see this thread descend into a seething mass of 'political bashing'..i can go to FF for that kinda chat. :D

Gypsy

GypsyGoldAu said:
I'll wait for the result of the investigation before i comment with the facts laid bare...

I do have an 'opinion' on this matter, but to date everyone else is doing a fine job of exposing those, and mine won't add anything more to the conversation, considering i wasn't there...

I do hear & understand Scrounger's pov though...i'd really rather not see this thread descend into a seething mass of 'political bashing'..i can go to FF for that kinda chat. :D

Gypsy
Yeah, i should try and steer clear of giving political opinions GGA, i apologize if i've offended anyone.
I just get so frustrated with 'blame the victim' mentality that seems so prevalent these days, and it just pushed me over the edge when i see people seemingly prepared to see a child injured or killed because they don't think it's right to kill an 'innocent' animal to save an 'innocent' human.
Anyway girls and guys, have a great day :lol: :lol: ;)

It would appear that the only one that did nothing wrong was the Gorilla, he never harmed the kid and was probably protecting him in his own way.

The zoo should be closed down if they can't build an enclosure that a little kid can't climb into.

The parents need to take a long hard look at themselves for not keeping an eye on their kid.

Magilla said:
It would appear that the only one that did nothing wrong was the Gorilla, he never harmed the kid and was probably protecting him in his own way.

The zoo should be closed down if they can't build an enclosure that a little kid can't climb into.

The parents need to take a long hard look at themselves for not keeping an eye on their kid.

Fair call Magilla, especially regards the zoos security. Maybe we should go the way some want (no mention of what groups) and close down all zoos because they are so cruel and inhumane. If you want to see exotic animals you'll just need to have the finances to travel overseas and hope the ones you want to see haven't all been wiped out for food or because of clear felling jungles.
Just saying ;)

SCROUNGER said:
Yeah, i should try and steer clear of giving political opinions GGA, i apologize if i've offended anyone.
Vent away Scrounger, i wasn't directing my post to any individual.
There are a number of issues with this circumstance that are worthy of comment, and i too have attached 'feelings' of my own about the outcome here. I could easily see the topic going feral and beyond the OT.

I read elsewhere the Zoo had only recently obtained the gorilla, and as such, based on a behaviorists pov, perhaps the Zoo had not done all it could to have ensured they were capable of having the animal 'on display' for public consumption.

On the surface of that info. one would be excused for thinking the lure of the $$$ preceded the undertaking of 'correct & proven procedure'?....

10 Minutes is a loooong response time for a localized incident, and it is the Zoo's responsibility to ensure the safety of the public.

Again, i will await the outcome of the investigation and rely on the facts.

As to closing down the Zoo's...there has been calls from animal groups (mostly city slickers in offices) to do this for decades, yet it fails to understand the 'conservation & preservation of species' these institutes provide. Many species would be extinct without them.

How they build their 'business' model is another argument for a different thread.

A sad tale all round imo. ;)

Gypsy

That's exactly my point GGA.
As usual it's the bad eggs, be they parents, zoos, drivers, hunters etc etc that seem to get the attention and in the end everybody else who is trying to do the right thing seems to get mixed in with the swill.
The zoo SHOULD be put under the spotlight and held accountable, as SHOULD the parents, but not to the point imo of having death threats made against them.

Ahhh, the semantics...i concede, the point of 'death threats' eluded me in my first reading. Yup agreed, no need for that, they will be going through their own hell right now even based on what they imagine 'could' have happened.

It's a good thing the shot was 'on target'...else the Zoo would have had an even bigger sh!tfight on their hands.

Yep it's a tragedy that such a magnificent animal was killed, but i reckon it would have been a greater tragedy if the child was.
I reckon the zoo can make a good case for shooting the Gorilla instead of trying to dart it, not so sure that the pollies over in the west can make a similar case for destroying a great white because it may have been the one that took a bite out of that poor surfer though.

Interesting discussion, and this is an issue bound to stir up strong feelings. I found this commentary, by a zoo keeper with experience with gorillas, very informative:

"I have watched this video over again, and with the silverback's postering, and tight lips, it's pretty much the stuff of any keeper's nightmares... I keep hearing that the Gorilla was trying to protect the boy. I do not find this to be true. Harambe reaches for the boys hands and arms, but only to position the child better for his own displaying purposes.

Males do very elaborate displays when highly agitated, slamming and dragging things about. Typically they would drag large branches, barrels and heavy weighted balls around to make as much noise as possible. Not in an effort to hurt anyone or anything (usually) but just to intimidate. It was clear to me that he was reacting to the screams coming from the gathering crowd."

Read the whole thing...

http://distractify.com/animals/2016/06/01/zookeeper-explains-harambe

The one issue this incident does highlight though is...you can't legislate 'stupid'.

It appears there was 'stupid' on both sides of the occasion...on one side the Zoo, and the other the Parents.

All the 'fluff' in msm about the fathers history etc won't help in finding answers, and the gorilla won't be coming back, so the outcome of any investigation at best will see the Zoo making different decisions and changes (perhaps) to the 'enclosure'.

I don't see the parents receiving any punitive punishment but i have been incorrect in the past. :8

That was the article i read DD...and taking from that, HAD the response team been on hand earlier, terminal velocity may not have been required....but now we will never know.

Gypsy

Latest posts