I think the world has finally gone mad!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The simple way to resolve the issue is throw the Bleeding Heart in with a Silverback and Shoot Them, I'd save the Gorilla then :eek: :D :D

Seriously throw them in there and then Ask them shall we soot it, I bet the Colour of their Daks will answer that question first. People have no Idea How Strong a Gorilla is, the bloody things have about an 80" chest maybe more, Back in his hay day Strength wise they would make ARNIE look like a 5 year old, People have no Idea just how strong they are and they are All Muscle. I have seen one close up, I'll take my chances with a Lion Thanks, The fastest way to Pi$$ a Silverback off it to just look him in the eye and that kid would not of known that. It does not bare thinking about what he could of done to that child,

I'm with you SCROUNGER

john

SCROUNGER said:
Yep it's a tragedy that such a magnificent animal was killed, but i reckon it would have been a greater tragedy if the child was.
I reckon the zoo can make a good case for shooting the Gorilla instead of trying to dart it, not so sure that the pollies over in the west can make a similar case for destroying a great white because it may have been the one that took a bite out of that poor surfer though.

Well both cases show what happens when we go in to their world, As humans we are not built to deal with such powerful Critters and suddenly we are the victims,

It does make a person rethink our options,

John

Ridge Runner said:
It does not bare thinking about what he could of done to that child,

I'm with you SCROUNGER

john

I agree mostly with what you write here RR, however, in fairness to the situation, postulation of 'what coulda?' lays at both sides.

What could the outcome have been with an earlier response/intervention?
What might have happened had the newish obtained gorilla been quarantined for a longer period allowing 'carers' to become closer, therefore possibly have the gorilla release the child?....etc et al.

A lot like nonsense laws supposedly in place for our 'protection'...your doing 5km/h over the limit and get fined because of 'what if?' (insert example here)....it didn't happen so a fine is punishment for something that didn't happen and therefore the argument often lectured by LEO is moot.

Suppositions are a bug bear for me, so please don't take this as a personal attack :D

Gypsy

Right action taken IMO. Hopefully a lesson learned. An overhaul of zoo's safety parameters is probably overdue. The common sense folk of yesteryear are no longer common.

Killing sharks for no reason is not something I support. Money better spent on research for a shark repelling solution. It's the same rubbish at both ends though with an MP suggesting we cull crocs just because someone decides to go for a swim in croc infested waters right around feeding time.

GypsyGoldAu said:
Ridge Runner said:
It does not bare thinking about what he could of done to that child,

I'm with you SCROUNGER

john

I agree mostly with what you write here RR, however, in fairness to the situation, postulation of 'what coulda?' lays at both sides.

What could the outcome have been with an earlier response?
What might have happened had the newish obtained gorilla been quarantined for a longer period allowing 'carers' to become closer, therefore possibly have the gorilla release the child?....etc et al.

A lot like nonsense laws supposedly in place for our 'protection'...your doing 5km/h over the limit and get fined because of 'what if?' (insert example here)....it didn't happen so a fine is punishment for something that didn't happen and therefore the argument often lectured by LEO is moot.

Suppositions are a bug bear for me, so please don't take this as a personal attack :D

Gypsy

In all fairness the Zoo should have had A childproof enclosure and the Kid should have been put on reigns and the whole situation would never have happened, and if the Gorilla was back where he belongs then he might still be alive if the poachers never got him first, Hindsight is a wonderful thing and prevention is better than the cure and all the above would have made a difference, and I can only imagine what people would be saying if they had not shot the Gorilla because they are extremely violent when they are upset, All the do gooders should just shut their traps, and those that won't keep quiet should be put in the same situation I bet their views change in under 2 seconds, These Ivory Tower Bunny Hugging A$$ holes need a reality check, As humans we are No match for a Silverback no matter how big we are and when we put our selves in these positions by accident or on purpose If we want to live then it boils down to Kill or be Killed, The Gorilla has no knowledge about Animal rights or in our case Human rights and I don't think he gives a crap either,

As human we make up Laws that involve Animals but we forget to make the Animals understand, He is not a Cuddly like monkey first and foremost He is a Wild Animal and a Bad tempered and a big one at that. No matter what if the Gorilla had killed the child then the parents and the Zoo would have been wrong and if they had Killed the Gorilla the Parents and the Zoo would be Wrong again, Well it's just hard luck as Humans we protect our Own Gorilla's 0 Humans 1,

Harsh as it sounds This is what we Do and who we are, Let the monkey huggers go and break the news to the parents when it happens next time and it will, Just like that stupid Idiot who was in love with the Teddy Bears in Alaska, He was told to stay away But he claimed that he was there to protect the Grizzlies, well that back fired Because he also got his Girlfriend Killed because they Eat him and his Girlfriend and Guess what,, The wild life people Shot the Grizzly Bear that Eat them, So all his BS cost the life of the Bear because if they had not gone there and done as they were told then they would be alive Now and the Bear would have been fishing and doing Bear Thing and died of Old age instead of Lead Poison. Why kill it after the fact, I have now Idea but this thing with the Gorilla was to prevent the Death of a Human.

The Point is No matter what the out come we put Humans first. Is it Nice No, But nore is seeing a Child being torn apart or killed and there is about a 98% chance that is how it would of ended and I for one would not sit around and hope for that 2% to come true,

John

Ape's and monkeys can be extremely dangerous, look at the lady who's pet chimp ripped her hands and face off in the USA, was very nasty.

I believe animals should not be kept in cages for us supposed evolutionarily evolved apes to sit and gawk at.

Parents should look after their kids and stuff like this wouldn't happen.

Not blaming anyone, just making a few observations.

Nice rant Scrounger, seems to me that other than stir some emotions, you have only said what (in my humble opinion) the majority of people would have been thinking.

Yes it was tragic for the gorilla BUT given the circumstances I believe somebody made the right call. Everyone is a critic after the event. Perhaps we could ask the kid what he thinks should have happened.

Just my thoughts
Bob

Heatho said:
Ape's and monkeys can be extremely dangerous, look at the lady who's pet chimp ripped her hands and face off in the USA, was very nasty.

I believe animals should not be kept in cages for us supposed evolutionarily evolved apes to sit and gawk at.

It's funny you should say that, I watched a documentary where Chimps used sticks as Clubs and hunted other Apes and Eat them, they can be very Nasty indeed,

Well If a Chimp did all that to a woman Imagine what a Gorilla being 6 or 8 times bigger maybe more could do to a Human, It does not bare thinking about, it's just Horrific.

John

Ridge Runner said:
Heatho said:

It's funny you should say that, I watched a documentary where Chimps used sticks as Clubs and hunted other Apes and Eat them, they can be very Nasty indeed,

Well If a Chimp did all that to a woman Imagine what a Gorilla being 6 or 8 times bigger maybe more could do to a Human, It does not bare thinking about, it's just Horrific.

John

Mate it's just an unfortunate thing to happen all round, it's a case of no one wins and everybody loses.

Anyway as to the topic title, the world has gone totally mad, that's why I just enjoy my little part in it and stay away from the nutters and extremists on either side of which ever fence I'm sitting on. ;)

SCROUNGER is right the world has gone nuts, being over here for so long I am often shocked by some of the Nanny State things you Guys post, And some of those things sound totally Alien to me as for what I thought Australia stood for and all the things I know to be true have become a memory, Which Is Why I often put my foot in in here, I don't mean anything bad but what I know/knew is history and I feel I am loosing what I once had and the old school Aussie's that I grew up with have all but gone,

Political correctness at it's finest has stolen my heritage and all the things I knew and when I come home I will be the tourist and have to learn all over again, because of my straight talking ways that don't work here and it has all but gone at home, No wonder you Guys spend as much time as possible in the bush,

John

The only people really qualified to comment are the zoo keepers and the parent of the child. While the "justice for Harambe" stance is admirable I am sure that if any of these armchair critics' children were put in that enclosure in that situation with Harambe, they would immediately be voicing a different opinion on Harambe's rights over the protection of their own child.
Jon

I met a youngish couple the other day when I walked their young fella home with his dummy still in his mouth,Mrs S spotted him (mothers instinct) and I told him that I would walk home with him ,... he was around 15-18 months old and was standing by himself on a busy corner next to the highway looking at the traffic like he was going to cross the side road off the highway, I asked him if he knew where he lived, and we both walked off together, the first house we went to no one was home, so I eyeballed him and said if you don't live at this house, which one is yours, so off we went again to the next house, the one with the driveway gate open, so out the back we went with me co-eying to find his Dad out the back, rest of the family inside and no one the wiser that the young fellow was even gone at all ,... but very happy to get him back ,... I'd recon they'd all be happy that I wasn't Harambe (or Rolf Harris for that matter) ,... I guess there is a potential difference between us and the Monkeys and Apes after all ,... made us all feel good to have been that little fellows gaurdian angels in his time of need (even if he did know the way home). ;)

SCROUNGER said:
Colmaca said:
Yep the worlds gone Mad when A prospecting forum talks about this wasted space crap :)
My apologies for wasting your time Colmaco, but i did warn everybody in the first post not to read any further if they weren't interested ;)

Well we are social creatures by nature so it is only natural that we will throw other things in to the Mix, And I am good with that, Aye.

john

silver said:
I met a youngish couple the other day when I walked their young fella home with his dummy still in his mouth,Mrs S spotted him (mothers instinct) and I told him that I would walk home with him ,... he was around 15-18 months old and was standing by himself on a busy corner next to the highway looking at the traffic like he was going to cross the side road off the highway, I asked him if he knew where he lived, and we both walked off together, the first house we went to no one was home, so I eyeballed him and said if you don't live at this house, which one is yours, so off we went again to the next house, the one with the driveway gate open, so out the back we went with me co-eying to find his Dad out the back, rest of the family inside and no one the wiser that the young fellow was even gone at all ,... but very happy to get him back ,... I'd recon they'd all be happy that I wasn't Harambe (or Rolf Harris for that matter) ,... I guess there is a potential difference between us and the Monkeys and Apes after all ,... made us all feel good to have been that little fellows gaurdian angels in his time of need (even if he did know the way home). ;)

Nice story, But over here you have to be very careful doing that sort of thing, because of political correctness and the like of Rolf Harris, for the past 10 or 15 years I have always made sure to get the attention of another adult before I walk up to a child like that, Here it can backfire in a big way, to the point now where most adults will not get involved and because of this PC we are now putting others at risk. It's sad but true,

John

I was probably lucky that the parents were busy being glad they got their young fellow back then. Too many times they go missing or get run over and killed, I'd like to think that we were the first to spot him, be sad to think that others would spot him 8) and just keep driving :eek: ,.... that sort of thing shouldn't happen in my world. :D