Human nature

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last saterday week i was at home when a young bloke about 30 came knocking at my door, he had run out of fuel and was pretty dasperate. I said he could be inluck as i normaly have a spare jerry can of diesel, as we are 40 ks out of bendigo and there is not much open around here at the weekend. So i got the can and hose and went over and fueled up his nice shiny duel cab.well he was so grateful, so was his mate and missus. It was about now they decided that they had no money, but they would go straight home to kangaroo flat and come straight back and pay me.Ow and what do you drink as well. All good aye , i7well I'm still waiting, just the entitled generation i suppose. Am i supprised not really, i could have held their swag or push bike but i decided to trust human nature. I only hope that the next time i get a call for help i can forget this lot.
Jim. :argh: :mad: :N: :N: :N:

You'll get your just reward Jim :Y: by virtue of helping others one day you will be on the receiving end of a good deed. Good on ya for doing what comes natural to most people :perfect: :beer: All the best when you get out with the detector mate.

Sigh

What does it really gain them. They lied. They stole $30 of diesel. And probably worse, they have no self respect.

At 30 ish i would have thought they'd be grown out of such petty behaviour.

I would have done the same as you Jim - you help and trust people until they prove otherwise - and over such a pittance.

Good work on breaking the gold drought!

Years ago we towed a guy in a ute. into Alice Springs about 30 kms. Said he water pump was gone . Left him at a service station , we went by a few hours later and he was gone .

We never checked his water pump , there was no sign of water underneath . He never lifted the bonnet . We were running on diesel but had a can of petrol for the bike .

Be wary of people that say they are broken down , we should have shown him the 303 to keep him honest ! I am still sending him bad Karma , if he is still alive !

Mike678 said:
Years ago we towed a guy in a ute. into Alice Springs about 30 kms. Said he water pump was gone . Left him at a service station , we went by a few hours later and he was gone .
We never checked his water pump , there was no sign of water underneath . He never lifted the bonnet . We were running on diesel but had a can of petrol for the bike .
Be wary of people that say they are broken down , we should have shown him the 303 to keep him honest ! I am still sending him bad Karma , if he is still alive !

In Kalgoorlie in the late 80's, if you were travelling on the Trans-line road that follows the railway tracks eastward, a group of indigenous were known for camping alongside the road with their 'broken down' car, looking for a tow back to Kal. Apparently, the vehicle didn't have an engine in it, but most good samaritans didn't think to check, so it still provided a useful means of transport for the owners!

They also liked to spend their money on grog . Drive home along the Alice Springs road , run out of petrol , and wait for some body to come along and give them fuel .

Same ploy used all over the state {WA} in to 70's, usually one laying down feigning an injury.
If you were silly enough to stop the hordes would appear and ransack your car and pinch everything not bolted down.

Redfin said:
Same ploy used all over the state {WA} in to 70's, usually one laying down feigning an injury.
If you were silly enough to stop the hordes would appear and ransack your car and pinch everything not bolted down.
We were warned about this same scenario when travelling to Darwin 20 years ago.

StoneTheCrows said:
Karma reynard
what goes round comes round.

Your conscience is clear knowing you helped someone, they will feel guilty eventually and get bitten on the arse down the track.
Karma will happen to them if they show up here doing that. We have had a spate of burgleies in the district which is unusual in such a low crime area. What the mongrels are doing is showing up to people's rural houses with an empty jerry and knocking on the door. If the owners are home they say they have run out of fuel and just seeing if they can borrow a bit if the owners are not home they steal everything. I hope they don't come here with some bull :poop: sob story. My driveway is long one and would take some time to run back down.

No guys i have no doubt that they had genuinely run out of fuel. I never wanted anything except the cost of the diesel and a thankyou.
But it annoys the hell out of me how little simple kindness means to the entitled generation. I have a word of warning for them,
Dont ever mistake kindness for weakness.
Jim

Mike678 said:

I heard of a couple that travelled the nullabor just like that. They would say they were broken down and get towed to the next town. Turns out there was never an engine in the car

:/

Latest posts