How to remove old oil stains on concrete.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Ideas anyone, I want to get rid of the 4 old oil stains in my garage. This is from previous owners wheel marks.
Have googled but it's a bit hit & miss with so many suggestions.
Gr

There is/ was a Selleys product for getting oil stains out of concrete. It worked pretty well. I just went to see if I had any but I think my son used it to clean up the carport in his last rental house. It was a powder of some kind that you brushed into damp concrete then hosed off.

Thanks Snafu
That's not good news. I want to sell & thought it would look much better if I could remove the marks.
Thought if I bought tiles off Gumtree or dump, could get it tiled. A tiler quoted me $1000 just to lay them. The area is approx 16 sq m. That is out of the question, daylight robbery I reckon.
GR

Thanks Jethro, I know there is a lot of google info about using kitty litter, but there is nothing to absorb being old stains.

Oxalic Acid

http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php/products/consumer_products/timber_care/item/diggers_oxalic_acid

Most degreaser is basically kero and water soluble, so kero or degreaser like that in cans from Supercheap,
scrub it in and leave to soak.
Pressure wash off and then scrub in some powdered clothes detergent with hot water, as thick as paste.
Let that soak a few hours and pressure wash off.

Also there used to be a product called CLR grease magnet or something ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKuzVu3W6Qs

Good luck

:)

G'day

When I had my workshop a pretty little thing in a really short skirt came in selling a product that she said would strip grease from floors, clean this and that, remove stains and so on, so long story short and being mildly interested as the floor was left in a mess from the previous business owner, She said that she would demonstrate the product for me as I was dubious about it being of any use as that the floor was so bad, I invited her to give it a try and if it worked I would buy some, anyway the demonstration was pretty awesome being that she was not really dressed for the task :p but sadly the product did not live up to expectations, I would tell you what the product was but I cant remember now only the demonstration bit, sorry.

cheers

stayyerAU

Ded Driver said:
CLR have a product for "oil, grease & tar" stain removal. Bunnings sell it.
I havent used it so don't know how effective it is on old stains

CLR was moderately effective for me but for old oil stains I find abrasive blast takes off most of it but you have to do the whole floor to keep the same colour.

Last time I did some I used a Wetblast attachment and 30/60 garnet . the tool fits on the front of a pressure washer but its not a 5 minute job.

For removing spilt paint on concrete its 100 % effective.

For old oil stains I would say 80 - 90 % effective.

Thanks everyone, I'll have a go with suggestions on small area then if no improvement just leave it.

Latest posts