How to read diggings???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdee all....

I have a Q... One that's been bugging me.

So you goto the field... And you see massive diggings big holes, surfaced areas, gullys that have been escavated but where's the gold?

So you stand atop a hill and you see 20-30 foot or two deep holes everywhere.... Then you have a shaft or a gully behind dug out. I'm so lost with why or what the old timers were after when they dig these 1ft, 3ft, 6ft holes and stop. I've been to a mates property in kerrs creek which has a huge surfaced area and foot deep holes everywhere and that's all... There's no mullock or deep diggings. I don't get what these holes on any field mean. We're they test holes? But what were they testing?? How could they tell from a foot deep hole there's no gold? We're they not after gold ?? Was it just the reef they were locating? How do I know where to look on the fields if it was a gold bearing area or just a test area?

There loaming up the hill, maybe they gave up looking for the reef, as it was easier to feed the family with the alluvial they know is there...Little test holes like that indicate they where loaming . Pan out to see what is there , looking for a richer source ... Or the source.maybe you can take up where they left off, hopefully it's on private property so you don't have much competition.research loaming , it will give you understanding of what your looking at.
Good luck
Barney

Latest posts