How often do Minelab upgrade their flagship?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AusFX

Rowan
Reaction score
So still being new to detecting and only having seen the launch of the new SDC, I was wondering how often Minelab release new flagship models, in other words, how long would it be till the 5000 is replaced as the best of the best gold detector with a new model from Minelab?

That's a good question in the early day 2000,2100 gp extreme, 3000,3500 from memory it was 18 month with the 4500 that was about 4 years and the 5000 is getting close to that regards john :)

Hmm, interesting that it's slowed down!
Rumours normally start to surface months away in a lot of other tech, do we tend to hear whispers about a new model long before it hits the shelves?
I'm both curious because it's interesting to think about and I'm wondering if I should wait for the next flagship or just go ahead and get a 5000 or SDC 2300.

I was told a few months back to wait and hold off and keep saving the dollars .. Maybe in 14 months time . We'll see ..

I bought my 5000 a few months ago, but put the question to the dealer, who told me that a midrange machine was just about to be released which turned out to be the 2300 (The dealer did not divulge any details or identify the 2300) but said that as far as he knew, there was no top end replacement yet. I believe him.

But its like every thing else, something new and better will always come along. I'm happy to use almost any detector as long as I can get out and pursue a hobby that I love and continue meeting great like minded people.

Cheers

While the African gold rush was at full swing, the sales of 4500 and then 5000 were enough to keep Minelab (Codan) happy. Now that's abated somewhat, is there a glut of 5000 on the market and in stock? Plus with the military wind-down in their use of detectors, is that market drying up? Add to that the 4800, the SDC etc, can the market really cope with a new GPX?

The rumours, always rumours, are that it will be a 'significant' change with wireless technology, change of control box, micro chipped coils that will only work on the new detector and make all the old coils redundant (that would be significant as Minelabs can pretty well use just about anything). No dealer is giving away any hints that I am aware of. Seen a few posts on other forums that there is a new one on the way etc etc. Always remember, Australia really is a small market - its the US they need to keep happy and the septics seem pleased with the 5000. The UK or Europe? with their soils you could detect with a stud finder.

Aua fx if you were to buy a 2300 that would be ok as they have only been out a few months as for the 5000 well that's another story they are a very good detector, is a new one due to be released next year ? have a good think of what detecting you intend to do. May be contact a prospecting club and go out on a outing and see what different detectors can do, regards john :)

Great info, thanks everyone!
Old hand - This is more for my dad, although I would borrow it sometimes. The 5000 would be great, best of the best and all, but I get the feeling he might be more comfortable with the SDC, being easier to use.
I'll probably be looking at a better VLF machine if I find consistent work in the UK, or maybe a stud finder as Loamer suggested :p

Think of all the gold you'll miss out on finding and other people are digging up because you are holding off for an updated machine ;)

Ben78 said:
Think of all the gold you'll miss out on finding and other people are digging up because you are holding off for an updated machine ;)
That's exactly one of my concerns :p Dad's in Clunes right now just lazing about when he could be out finding his retirement nugget!

Anything that comes out will not stop the 5k or 2300 from finding gold and both are already very good at that. I imagine the next update will have some timing and stability enhancement but will include more tech features like wifi headphones and GPS.

As for those who are covering old ground and pulling nuggets with the 2300, consider this - there is a patch of ground that I coin hunt - I have put Gold Bug Pro, Teknetics T2, Minelab Explorer SE, Gold Century GC1038 and Fisher F5 all over it and found coins. Hand me any VLF machine and I will go find coins on this patch with it. Most of the machines I put over the patch are fairly high end but any detector out there can miss targets, especially with the plethora of settings available. What finds gold is coils on the ground. Having the best currently available machine certainly helps but on this forum we have seen the cheapest gold oriented machines on the market succeed.

Yes the sdc are a very ease detector to use and I think just about anyone using one will find some gold ,there is a chance of finding a good size nugget with a sdc . The other week a 6 oz nugget was found near Maryborough using a sdc between power lines and Telstra cables regards john :)

Old hand - I run an old 2200D with an AI coil around those areas of Maryborough. very productive.

I have a atx but at the time I couldn't afford to buy the sdc . I would love to have the 8" coil for it tho . but the sdc does find gold and would be perfect for the misses to swing . And she would be happy digging hundreds of holes . my aim would be the gpx5000 at a later date . But I don't go prospecting as often as those that are gping out finding gold on a regular basis plus it's a good 8 hours drive from my door to any decent spot near kal .
Minelab are overdue for a high end machine and technology has moved along in the last 5 years .

Latest posts