how much petrol per day are people using with highbankers ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone give me figures on how much petrol they use in their pumps per day ?

a few people here are using Honda WX10 pumps and a few other chinese ones

how many litres or tank fills do you go through in the 1 1/2 " ( 38 mm ) pumps ?

ta :p

G'day Headsup,

I have been doing timed digs whilst I muck around getting my HB right, these digs are for 2hrs. I have a 2.4hp Chinese jobbie and have been running it at 1/2 throttle and I'm using under 2 litres in that time.

Cheers

Col

The wx15 holds about a liter of fuel and we rarely run more than a tank and a half on a full day. So i guess that's about $ 2.50 a day average. :eek:

Cheers Wal. :)

WalnLiz said:
The wx15 holds about a liter of fuel and we rarely run more than a tank and a half on a full day. So i guess that's about $ 2.50 a day average. :eek:

Cheers Wal. :)

LOL !

awesome !

There was me thinking i would be carrying 10 litre drums of fuel when i go bush

5 litre drum will do me i think , i dont want to carry more than a few days of food on my back anyway so it will match up well.

thankyou people

Mines 2 inch 7hp pump 3.5 litre tank usually runs for two days idle maybe 7 hours per day average. I personally have a 600ml bottle of fuel as backup just incase.

My 2stroke Subaru uses about 1L per day day, i mix up a 2L container each time to last 2 days.

DD

Honestly that's a whole lot less than what I would have thought. I really need to buy or build myself a highbanker soon :lol:

5 Litres of fuel lasts all weekend no worries, just dont let the kids get hold of it near a fire :(

Cheers
Brad......

I run a 95cc pump......1" outlet with either 15m or 30m of layflat or both together. This is the Maximum length due to its friction loss.......100kpa for the 30m and 50kpa for the 15m........100 litres per minute optimum pump operation
Any further than that i change to it a 38mm (1" 1/2") still same friction loss but larger volume of water. Optimum pump operation 250 litres per minute........that is a lot of water
Now it becomes a little more complicated. Pump efficiency.
3.0m lift pump efficiency 70%
5.0m lift pump efficiency 60%
7.0m lift pump efficiency 45-50%
So it is an accumulation of a few things that dictate how much fuel i will use.
Keep the suction hose as low and close to the water supply as possible. Shortest suction hose as well.
Keep the supply line as short as possible and as straight as possible.
If you need to move water a long distance from the pump start with a 38mm for 30m then with a reducer 38 to 25mm......then add another 30m of 25mm layflat.........you have eliminated the friction loss by using the 38mm hose first.......so you can push that much further.

With all this taken into account i will use 2.5 litres per day (8 hour shift with 2 people) 5 litres per 16 hrs.
That works out at $7.70 or 48 cents per Hr.
I run pump at 1/4 throttle.

Now let's say you have found a great spot to prospect that is 130 metres from your water supply.
Impossible to run water that far efficiently with out a quite large pump.
So here is how you can do it for just $1.00 per hr
You will need 2 pumps..........1x20 litre bucket and 2x38mm layflat at 30m.......2x25mm at 30m layflat.
Set first pump as normal 38mm to 25mm LF hose.........into your 20 litre bucket.......then using second pump as normal just pump from the bucket to the high banker.
Will take a little setting up as you will need to supply the bucket with the same amount of water that you are sucking out.
The water level will stay the same.
It will not matter if you stop water at HB as the bucket will just over flow.
Using a couple of handheld UHF radios will speed up the set up.......once it is running correctly never need to adjust the throttle on pumps.

Now how many of us work side by side on the creek with our prospecting mates working all day for just a few grams.
His pump at 20 feet from yours.

Remember what Wal is always telling us look on the fringes past where all the normal HB LIMITS ARE?
How many of us has worked that far from water supply.

130m or 230m is always possible with this method. It is called RELAY PUMPING.

Most of us have pumps work together for a bigger reward.

Footnote.
You can also just make a pond line it with a plastic HD sheet will do the same job.
Hope this will give you different outlook on how you can also just.

There is a whole lot more i can add eg. pumping up hill then using gravity to help the second pump.......pump even further.
Cheers for now
Thesmithy (Brian)

beautiful Brian

all good science there . where did you learn all that ? are you in the irrigation business or have you been "long time prospecting" ?

thanks for your time and effort in putting together that post

24 years hunting the yellow stuff on and off.
My trade is Master Farrier / Industrial blacksmith.........toolmaker.........give me a drawing i will make it.
FireFighter with a Fire & Rescue NSW...........it sort of helps to know how to move large volumes of the wet stuff.
Cheers.
Brian.

Latest posts