LPG in Cars

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaros

In Remembrance Nov. 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running the Pathfinder Ti V6 Petrol Dual Fuel on Unleaded for a few days to see how it behaves. The oil should change colour-darker i.e.
Does anyone think that this trial will harm the engine because I have had LPG/Unleaded right from the start - new car.
Last year I had to have the whole LPG system wiring replaced because it would not cut in and cost $1500 for that to be done.
I have only had to fill the petrol tank maybe twice a year. The biggest leadfoot is my wife-it's hereditary for her. She would use 3 times as much fuel as I would on average.
Hopefully this will expose any fuel filter probs and save on any future probs I might have on a trip.
I hope I won't be doing any damage--waddaya think?

Keep in mind your unleaded would go stale.
Back in the days of carbies, a mates Dad did what you are suggesting and after running out of LPG on a busy freeway switched to petrol, car cut out had to make dash to emergency lane. When the RACV came they said the carby gaskets had dried out and shrunk.

Swinging & digging said:
Keep in mind your unleaded would go stale.
Back in the days of carbies, a mates Dad did what you are suggesting and after running out of LPG on a busy freeway switched to petrol, car cut out had to make dash to emergency lane. When the RACV came they said the carby gaskets had dried out and shrunk.
That's part of my thought process-to lubricate the gaskets.
Probably nuthin' to worry about as my wife runs it out of gas quite often.

I was once told that the car actually starts on petrol before switching across to LPG and that it advisable to run the car on petrol for 10 to 15 minutes a week to keep all gaskets and seals nice and supple. Someone with more mechanical knowledge than me will come along with the correct recommendations Im sure.

Manpa said:
I was once told that the car actually starts on petrol before switching across to LPG and that it advisable to run the car on petrol for 10 to 15 minutes a week to keep all gaskets and seals nice and supple. Someone with more mechanical knowledge than me will come along with the correct recommendations Im sure.

same same, always start on petrol and switch to gas.

Yes, they start on petrol then switch to gas when preset engine temp cuts the gas in. The initial system switched way to late meaning excess petrol usage. The new gas computer cuts in much earlier-like it. Just that all the short runs during the Covid-19 is causing a lot of short runs so I'm just trying to keep the gaskets oiled up-you know what I mean.

If it starts on petrol and switches to gas, then this should keep the fuel pump and injectors pretty well operational. There should not be any gaskets in a fuel injected system to dry out.
Its still a good policy to switch to petrol occasionally and give the engine some right foot to see how well the injection system is performing if the need arises.

I always put some injector cleaner in every second top up of petrol. She's still going strong after nearly 18 yrs. Lovely machine-time for her 6 mth oil and filter change. Probably do it this week. :)

Latest posts