How much does it cost in fuel to drive to Kalgoorlie, for you?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
like AussieAu says, we like to try and pick the weather pattern when leaving NSW, and heading to WA, we look for a big High Pressure in the bight and that gives eastish winds and opposite pattern for the return trip

View attachment 12676
Dave, I always thought you left we I did so you would get sucked to WA from the back of my Troopy.

The wind makes all the difference. It's nearly always against you so seems best to turn around and try on another day ;)

I had a Mazda T3500 ex-school bus and fitted new tyres to the front before leaving for the east. We struck strong SE wind all the way. The left front tyre was worn out by the time we hit Melbourne because of the constant correction of the sideways force. The wind from the roadtrains hits you hard when it's coming from their direction and the force of it blew the rear emergency exit window in. If by chance it's in your favour then it can cut you fuel consumption in half if driving a big rig.

However the Nullarbor crossing can be grate if you take your time and enjoy the drive. On one east to west trip about ten years back we were in a single cab Isuzu truck without working aircon (now the bus) returning west from the auction. We knew we were in for nasty weather after leaving Melbourne on Christmas eve. We camped overnight on the site of the Sudbury music festival, froze our buts of and had the wind turn our little dome tent inside out. We bought enough foil windscreen sun protectors to do the front back and sides. While west from Ceduna we had the foil covering all the glass except for the little patch I needed to see out of.

When we stopped at the Ceduna blowhole the birds were camped about the perimeter of the hole with their wings spread appreciating the cool draft from underground, they never moved when we walked up close for a look. Meanwhile other birds were under the truck taking advantage of water dripping from our leaky water bottles on the back. When we got to the dry tanks (destroyed by vandals) further west Mrs M placed a bowl of water out for the birds but only the bigger ones fought over it so she placed another and another. She ended up with four bowls of water and did her best to keep the crows and galahs away enough to allow the little birds to drink.

When we arrived at Balladonia they told us it was 54°C in the shade. Enjoy the drive, we did.... 😂
Good to know Moneybox. We will be driving a Mazda T3500 across to WA next month. Wondering how it would go. Good to know for the return journey.

Latest posts