How much does it cost in fuel to drive to Kalgoorlie, for you?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently purchased an second hand 2005 Forester, trying to work out some of the costs. I'm in Adelaide but interested in hearing from those who are driving from a further distance.

And just remember that XLOOX’s example is one way. Double whatever you workout to get you home. And then add some more for moving around whilst you are over there.

What is your average fuel consumption around home? 10 litres per hundred km?

Petrol Spy is an app you can get on your phone that gives you pretty much ‘live prices’ from individual fuel stations across Australia. There is definitely a few to avoid on the Nullarbor.

C574D42D-0868-40E4-82E5-EB75957E96DD.png

we look at it this way, and have been across and back like 14 times from central west NSW, it is 3050km to Kalgoorlie one way and it takes about one oz of gold to get there and back is the way we look at it.

years ago on the first trip in 2009 when gold was around $1000/oz and diesel was, well way less than now, it still took about an oz of gold to cover the trip.

and our last trip in 2023 and gold up around $3000/oz and diesel probably averaged $2.50/liter lowest $2.10 and upto $3.00 along the Nullarbor roadhouses, it still works out that one oz of gold covered the trip, at about $1400 each way

we have a 2015 D-Max with a dyno tune to get more power for towing a big van and get about 18km/100 average, depends on the wind direction and speed you travel at of course.

this is the new van but the last few trips was in a similar van same size and weights, but give an idea of our setup
Siloa Art at Merriwa.jpg

Last edited:
The wind makes all the difference. It's nearly always against you so seems best to turn around and try on another day ;)

I had a Mazda T3500 ex-school bus and fitted new tyres to the front before leaving for the east. We struck strong SE wind all the way. The left front tyre was worn out by the time we hit Melbourne because of the constant correction of the sideways force. The wind from the roadtrains hits you hard when it's coming from their direction and the force of it blew the rear emergency exit window in. If by chance it's in your favour then it can cut you fuel consumption in half if driving a big rig.

However the Nullarbor crossing can be grate if you take your time and enjoy the drive. On one east to west trip about ten years back we were in a single cab Isuzu truck without working aircon (now the bus) returning west from the auction. We knew we were in for nasty weather after leaving Melbourne on Christmas eve. We camped overnight on the site of the Sudbury music festival, froze our buts of and had the wind turn our little dome tent inside out. We bought enough foil windscreen sun protectors to do the front back and sides. While west from Ceduna we had the foil covering all the glass except for the little patch I needed to see out of.

When we stopped at the Ceduna blowhole the birds were camped about the perimeter of the hole with their wings spread appreciating the cool draft from underground, they never moved when we walked up close for a look. Meanwhile other birds were under the truck taking advantage of water dripping from our leaky water bottles on the back. When we got to the dry tanks (destroyed by vandals) further west Mrs M placed a bowl of water out for the birds but only the bigger ones fought over it so she placed another and another. She ended up with four bowls of water and did her best to keep the crows and galahs away enough to allow the little birds to drink.

When we arrived at Balladonia they told us it was 54°C in the shade. Enjoy the drive, we did.... 😂

If you can, try and plan your trip for a weather window with consistent tailwinds like this coming few days.... as in weather maps like you see here, with southeasterly/ easterly winds.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/4day_col.shtml
Your Forester should return around 8 or 9 litres/ hundred kms. at highway speed with favourable winds. I would also carry a 20 litre jerry of fuel to stretch your range if needed.
Pick a weather window showing a strong Southwesterly change approaching for your return trip.....
Good luck and safe travels.

What is your average fuel consumption around home? 10 litres per hundred km?
I'm not sure because I've only just purchased the Forester. They say it drinks a bit, probably above average. One online source says 9.6 to 11.4L/100km.

If you can, try and plan your trip for a weather window with consistent tailwinds like this coming few days.... as in weather maps like you see here, with southeasterly/ easterly winds.

Your Forester should return around 8 or 9 litres/ hundred kms. at highway speed with favourable winds. I would also carry a 20 litre jerry of fuel to stretch your range if needed.
Pick a weather window showing a strong Southwesterly change approaching for your return trip.....

If you are going to carry a jerry can in an enclosed vehicle then I suggest you use a steel can. Our boot area is closed off from the bus interior but if I carry a plastic can of fuel I know it's there. I often woke with a headache and it took me a while to work out the problem. The plastic jerry can appears to be sealed but the fuel leaches through the plastic and then makes its way through the plywood petition into my sleep space.

I can carry a metal jerry can with either diesel or petrol and never get a sniff of what's inside. The other issue is that the plastic jerry cans fail in this climate. On a couple of occasions I walked past the shed or truck and smelt fuel, the plastic cans split and sent out a fine spray of fuel. Now I only use them on rare occasions where I can empty it straight away. I've bought all metal jerry cans.

like AussieAu says, we like to try and pick the weather pattern when leaving NSW, and heading to WA, we look for a big High Pressure in the bight and that gives eastish winds and opposite pattern for the return trip

1707165720160.png

Do you guys think the right tires can save fuel? I've got city tires on them ATM, not planning to go major off road so hoping I can use them for highway travel.

I'm not sure because I've only just purchased the Forester.
Probably the first thing to work out. 8 litres per hundred km versus 14 litres per hundred will make your calculations very different.

Do you guys think the right tires can save fuel?
Absolutely, but what you have on is probably going to be the best re: fuel consumption. Going chunkier, wider or a larger profile will all use more fuel 👍

Latest posts