How long till your first (nugget).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sill havent got my first nugget but I've only been detecting for a few weeks now and been to the goldfields in NQ once as I only just brought a gpx4500 .Found rings and coins at the beach though getting more familiar with the detector :p

When he upgraded to a new Minelab, my uncle gave me his old Garrett A2b. But unlike him I found nil with it though I spent a small fortune on batteries.

A year or so later I purchased a new XT17000 from John Dyer and excitedly drove all the way to Ophir, put it together and started practicing on junk targets in the camp ground at Summer Hill creek.

About a metre away from the wheely bin, what I thought was another beer bottle top turned out to be a beautiful 2 1/2 oz water worn nugget at about two inches.

How I made it out of the camp ground with that nugget I have no idea, as being Easter it was packed and I think I must have showed everybody.

It was a full two years before I found my next bit with a detector.

Hey Jethro.....you dont wanna share which corner do you. At Whroo atm and have had no luck at all. lol.

Within 5 minutes parking my car on a main rd leading
To an airfield 10 metres from my parked car on my very
first Hunt with my first outing with the Tesoro Dingo back
in the 90's.

In fact i picked up 4 or 5 bits from the one mullock heap
within The first 15 minutes.

How times have changed.

After 10days in the Triangle I'm about to go home still a virgin. My $3300 ATX is still nothing more than a very expensive stick. I have a couple of days at Ararat to change things around but the time is running out really quickly. Then its over and out for another 12 months or so. Thanks to those who offered help. Bless ya.

Hey Tassie Daz,
If your still around Dunolly on the weekend send me a PM I might able to show you a couple of spots.
cheers deepblue

Got my first nugget second Saturday out my
Machine 2100 .had gold fever ever since.
Found it in the middle of a road , pure
ass had no idea what I was doing .
Never give up the chase its the best bit
sometimes. :)

Which two mines in South Australia were thought to have supplied uranium ore to the UK, for the development of the british atomic weapons tested in Australia, and where are they located?

As a hint, one old minesite has reasonably recent interest in being developed by uranium miners, but the labor govt placed a moratorium on the area, preventing any future exploration or development of the site.

Got a GPX 5000, was fortunate to go out with a real pro as I had no experience on the 5k. In one hr he had 8, I had none, listen again he said do you hear it? Frustrated I listened again, went out and heard that sweet lilting warble, dug down and got a dirty brownish red pebble, popped it in my mouth and a spot of yellow appeared, in the jar. Once you get the first the rest come easier but the big deep ones are the challenge.

hooroo

So does anybody else wanna throw in their thoughts on what classifies as a nugget? I personally think I'm still hunting,(still getting excited at small sub gram bits) though I haven't been in the game for very long. It'd be interesting on what people think realistically classifies as a nugget.

P.s, sorry Redfin no hard feelings but I don't think I like your fathers scale, well I kinda do but if that's the standard I'll be forever nuggetless I think!

took me about 3 months to find a piece .8 of a gram. Shaped like a little grain of rice. It was on the side of hard hill at Goldsborough about 7 years ago. That was with a GPX4000
I reckon we find a small nugget once about every 7-10 times we go out so we don't do it for money just the love of the bush.
Seemed that we found more with 4000 than the 4500 and the 5000 that we have progressed to.
We did have lessons which helped heaps too. :p

Hey mat a nugget is a nugget bud sub grammar or
not.what you need to do is just don't pick up the
smaller ones going dooh!could of been bigger,have
a look around you big brother can't be far away. :)
Or my cockaspanial his name is nugget! :lol:

Well if sub-gramers are contenders I may have just popped the cherry yesterday. Found myself a 0.2g piece yesterday... Looks good and i was a bit chuffed when I found it, and I'd say it classifies for me at my level of expertise and experience but it ain't no paper weight so is it a nugget? It seems it really is an eye if the beholder thing, one person is calling 1gram a picker, the next person is calling 0.1 a nugget.

Matty84 said:
Well if sub-gramers are contenders I may have just popped the cherry yesterday. Found myself a 0.2g piece yesterday... Looks good and i was a bit chuffed when I found it, and I'd say it classifies for me at my level of expertise and experience but it ain't no paper weight so is it a nugget? It seems it really is an eye if the beholder thing, one person is calling 1gram a picker, the next person is calling 0.1 a nugget.

Does it matter? I don't think so. Do a dictionary meaning for nugget and you will find the answer to be something like a small chunk of gold.

We can get technical though.

I can't wait to find my first nugget with the 3500. Its out there you just need to get to the right area and walk over it.

Wolfau... No it doesn't matter, BUT I'm interested in what people think the benchmark is, it doesn't have to be a black and white answer, just an opinion. I like fishing and catch my share of snapper, but if it's under 3kg Its not a snapper but a pinky. I don't always have to ask questions based on seeking information for personal gain do I?

Latest posts