how deep

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Guys iam thinking about buying a gold detecter,i have a question for you guys who know all about it how deep wold your average find be lets say in grams i know the bigger ones are down deep just the small pieces of gold. Thanks

It really depends on the machine, the type of ground, the coil you are using and the ability of the operator, it also can depend on the shape of gold as well, so it's a very hard question to answer.

Some pretty big nuggets have been found within a few inches of the surface with detectors, but mostly it seems small nuggets are being found, although that's probably because most of the big stuff was found long ago, there was a nugget of a couple of kg's found not really that long ago, the "Fair Dinkum" nugget, think that was only down a few inches & found with a Minelab detector.
Also in another section of this forum it was posted about a 5oz nugget that was found not that long back with the TDI Pro Oz detector with 20" coil, the nugget was down 32 inches, so some good size ones are still around & can be found at pretty much any depth.

Hi 300, i think it's important to remember that gold can only go as deep as the bedrock (which it can't penetrate or is encased in) or until it settles somewhere it can't sink deeper such as a larger rock etc. Most of the small gold i find with the sdc2300 is usually in the top few centimetres of the surface. It's often trapped in clay (in surfaced areas) etc or attached to quartz or ironstone (often on mulloch heaps) as it doesn't have that much weight to sink deeper through heavier soils. The few bigger pieces i've found have been down on bedrock or encased in reef and never really any deeper than 300mm or so.
But the reason for this is because i target shallow areas because that what my detector is best suited for. If i had a detector that could penetrate deeper i would/could detect areas where the bedrock was deeper if that makes sense? good luck.

Hi guys i can get my hands on a Tesoro Diablo 2 Gold Demon at a good price any imput on the machine .Thanks

Hi 300, the problem you may have with machine is that it is a vlf machine and they struggle in the highly mineralised ground types we have here, if you can try and have a look at getting a Pi machine as they can cancel out the ground noise which in turn will allow you to more easily here the signal when you swing the coil over gold etc.

Hi there are quite a few vlf detecters out there very capable of findi g gold fisher gold bug ,Tesoro Lobo ,Garrett At Gold, Eureka Gold tbese are only a few i know what your saying is is true but the vlf is also capable gold finder my research is telling me the Tesoro Diablo 2 Gold Demon is one of them any more imput welcome

As Jafnob said, a VLF machine will not get the depth of a PI machine in mineralized ground. Back when VLF detectors first came out, there was still a fair bit of shallow gold around so these machines did well.

As time went on and PI machines were released, a lot of the easy gold was removed, making it difficult for VLF machines to produce consistently. If you look around at the numerous forums, Facebook pages, you will see lots of people with good PI machines struggling to get consistent results. If you have a VLF machine, it's even harder.

Latest posts