House solar panels

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Noticed several houses around here lately have been getting only 6 solar panels installed.

Is there some sort of rebate or discount I'm missing out on anyone know about?

I'm in country NSW if that makes any difference?

Cheers!

I think that would be a small 1500watt system?
Research that in your area?
Or better still!! Go knock on someones door and ask?!

I think there is a rebate in NSW . Do a Google to find out .

A lot of the newer panels are a large size and a high number of watts .

Theres a forum about this on whirlpool.net.au
I hope its alright to point you there. So many experts and so much information about solar on there :Y:

We had our system installed about 5 years ago. (Before the rebates were introduced in WA)
A very helpful company representative asked for our past 12 months power bills.
From this he calculated a 10 panel system is all we required, more was just a waste of money. (Have seen residents with 20+ panels, will take them a decade or more to get into credit.)
Has now been running faultlessly for this time.
We are still in credit to the tune of about $250 from the $600.00 handed out to householders with the onset of the covid.

The down side is the countless emails and phone calls from Solar companies trying to get in on the act. (Block block) :playful:

All depends on the size of the panels . Hard to compare unless you know the size of the panels . Yours might be 250 watts , theirs might be 150 watts each .

Pitstop said:
Theres a forum about this on whirlpool.net.au
I hope its alright to point you there. So many experts and so much information about solar on there :Y:

I would take what is written on whingepool with a grain of salt.

I didnt let a salesman calculate anything, i just filled the roof of the house and the shed with panels, ( 78 ) and added two 13 kw batteries.
It cut my power bill from $1300 per quarter to $2300 credit in nine months.

steve f said:
I didnt let a salesman calculate anything, i just filled the roof of the house and the shed with panels, ( 78 ) and added two 13 kw batteries.

How many years will it take you to pay off the installation and truly be in credit?

steve f said:

What was your outlay to achieve that please?

I have a 13.5kw setup with 2 inverters. The install was done properly not just smashed together like most cheap systems.
Cost just under $10k. Should be making totally free power after 3ish years

Nightjar said:
steve f said:

How many years will it take you to pay off the installation and truly be in credit?

It will be five years, I have ten years until retirement so basically l Only done it so I can spend the electricity money on home brew and fuel for prospecting trips

I'm yet to hear of someone who's actually in front with solar.

Hope someone can prove me wrong

Upside said:

you will never be in front with panels alone, you need to have a battery to store the power from the day to use at night.

Go the mighty blues. :clap: :goldnugget: :trophy:
Sorry. Tried to delete. Wrong topic
Anyway. Let's run with it.
Not the first time we got off topic here ;) :p

We had our 5 kilowatt system fitted in June 2017 by local contractor for $4300, it took about 4 months to get all the necessary meters fitted by by Origin and within 6 months we were in credit, only a small amount, but not having to pay. Since then we have received up to 21 cents per kw on our output until about 9 months ago when they changed the system, but we are still getting a small amount of credit each time and at present our saved credit is about $1300 to $1400 and also we have withdrawn $400 cash from the credit, so we figure that we have paid for it in 3 years, still have a good amount of credit and even if they change the system again (fee on output from our system) we will possibly last at least another 4 to 5 years without having to pay a bill. Only 2 people in the house, but lots of power hungry equipment which is only used during daylight. No battery system fitted. :Y: :Y:

Graham

steve f said:
Upside said:

you will never be in front with panels alone, you need to have a battery to store the power from the day to use at night.

We are grid dependent living in Sydney. No batteries. There is a minimal amount of fees for line maintenance. We accept that. Our electric bills before the solar were 800-1100$. After the panels we are usually around 100 to 200$. My wife recons we paid off the panels last year. We only have a 6.5kw system but it is cost effective. The next project is to put the hot water system on the solar with a power diverter. That should reduce the bills even more as we have peak and off peak metering.

Latest posts