Honestly who's in profit.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any hobby costs money. Most are just a constant drain on the wallet.

Although I've spent more than I've found, what I have found gives me two bonuses.

1. The thrill of the find, which is as strong on around nugget number 200 as the first, and

2. Unlike my first comment, I've found around $2.5k worth. I'm still looking to offset the other $8.5k of equipment with the "big one". :) So, if anyone knows where it might be..............

Trips to detect are a holiday for me, even though retired, so I don't count that expense.

Only ever came out in front on 1 trip theoretically because I won't sell my finds, never care what it costs to get out and enjoy the peace and quiet of being in the bush, never care if I find gold or not but when I do it's as thrilling as the first nugget I found.
I just enjoy getting away when I can, that's the real gold and anything more is purely a bonus.
RDO tomorrow, Landcruiser is packed for a 4:30am departure, 3 days of fun and prospecting with a couple of mates camped in the bush far away from everyone and everything.........that's GOLD!!

you're lucky to have summer.and we have winter.
1610012093_whatsapp_image_2021-01-06_at_19.58.40.jpg

As Dihusky observes, prospecting is a relatively cheap hobby. Blokes spend a fortune on boats that sit on a trailer and catch a few fish a couple of times a year. Imagine how much per kilo those fish cost when you include the cost of gear that is manufactured more to capture anglers than fish (and don't get me wrong, I was a keen fisho for years).

But the point is it's not the financial return that is the point for most of us. Calculated on wonderful days out on the creek, chats and beers around the campfire, good companions who you can trust, emerging from a warm swag or tent to light the fire for a brew on a frosty morning, and a bit of gold from every trip, I reckon I am very much in profit.

DrDuck said:
But the point is it's not the financial return that is the point for most of us. Calculated on wonderful days out on the creek, chats and beers around the campfire, good companions who you can trust, emerging from a warm swag or tent to light the fire for a brew on a frosty morning, and a bit of gold from every trip, I reckon I am very much in profit.
You nailed it DrDuck. Great times that make you feel alive eh. :Y:

A few years back -2013- I became a member of this club but soon after I had back problems which so far has me with a titanium spine and the inability to twist or bend too much. I bought all this gear for the hobby and am realising I probably won't be able to go out to the fields anymore. I probably spent close to $6000-00 on gear to get into this hobby for some serious detecting.

I would say that I'm in front due to expenses I would have incurred whilst going out detecting and all the mounting costs associated with the hobby.
Still, i read all the posts of the membership about their travels and finds which I enjoy immensely. So I am in front due to fuel costs ,car wear and tear, tyres, electronics etc.
When you look at it, it is a relatively cheap form of enjoying life. Having a wife that loves camping is the biggest asset I have to my enjoyment.
Jaros.

Latest posts