Honda Generator Problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Getting all my gear together for the annual gold hunt and pulled my brand new Honda 2000 generator out of the box , put some fuel in to give it test and .......dead as a maggot . Generator was a Xmas present from the kids , bought in Biloela so local people don't want to know . Any other members had trouble with one of these machines ?

Disappointed

Hey what does dead as a maggot mean, is the pull start stuck? if it is brand new it needs engine oil and wont fire up due to oil level sensors, first check oil? you should use run in oil for the first period, if it has oil has it got spark? remove spk plug connect to lead, earth plug base, pull hard and look at plug, there great motors that not much can go wrong with, so check and report back ;)

B5MECH said:
Hey what does dead as a maggot mean, is the pull start stuck? if it is brand new it needs engine oil and wont fire up due to oil level sensors, first check oil? you should use run in oil for the first period, if it has oil has it got spark? remove spk plug connect to lead, earth plug base, pull hard and look at plug, there great motors that not much can go wrong with, so check and report back ;)

That's three agrees.
Obviously a simple problem, Honda Generators are bullet proof.

Nightjar said:
B5MECH said:

That's three agrees.
Obviously a simple problem, Honda Generators are bullet proof.
+5 ................... easy to flood but

I look after 6 x 2kva, 3 x 3kva and 1 x 6kva Honda's, (plus a few other brands) and the Hondas have been by far the best "portable" generators that we have had. Naturally I have my own 2kva in the Campervan. My general starting rules for small generators such as 2kva and others with pull start -
- As previously said by others, check the oil
- Check the fuel and for 2kva make sure that the air inlet on the fuel cap is set to run not off.
- Put the choke on, with the on/off switch switched to OFF
- Pull the start cord 3 to 4 times (nice hard pulls)
- Switch the On/Off to ON
- Again pull the start cord nice and fast/hard. If it does start, switch the choke off and try another few pulls.

Down to fault finding -
Next pull the plug and check if the electrode is wet with fuel. If not then put the choke on again and give 4-5 further pulls on the start cord then put the plug back in and try starting again, by switch on and pulling the cord.

Note if the plug is wet then it is likely that the motor has been flooded. It could also mean that there is no spark, but that is unlikely for a new unit. Simply leave the choke off and pull the start cord a few times to try and clear some of the excess fuel from the motor. Let the plug dry out a bit then put it back in and again try the start sequence without the choke.

Remember that as soon as the motor fires put the choke off or it will flood the machine. Sometimes in very cold conditions a little bit of choke for a few seconds may be needed.

I have found that if a motor is left sit for months without being run then it takes a bit of effort to get the fuel through the carby system. Pulling the plug and pulling the cord with the choke on tends to speed up the process and is less strain on the pulling arm.

Rob

When left for lengths of time...the oil drains away from the cylinder wall...which in turn causes lose of compression.....these engines use a splash method to lubricate.....it can take some effort to get them going again when left for long periods without being started. Iv had to go through it a few times now myself with the eu20i. I simply apply a small amount of fuel/oil mix to the spark plug hole, and slowly pull on the starter rope to oil up the cylinder wall.
Always use the more expensive petrol..high octane as it will burn better and you get a much better tank to run time ratio. If leaving for any length of time..try to drain the carby as the additives in the fuels will caramelize and block the jets....PITA.

Narrawa said:
When left for lengths of time...the oil drains away from the cylinder wall...which in turn causes lose of compression.....these engines use a splash method to lubricate.....it can take some effort to get them going again when left for long periods without being started. Iv had to go through it a few times now myself with the eu20i. I simply apply a small amount of fuel/oil mix to the spark plug hole, and slowly pull on the starter rope to oil up the cylinder wall.
Always use the more expensive petrol..high octane as it will burn better and you get a much better tank to run time ratio. If leaving for any length of time..try to drain the carby as the additives in the fuels will caramelize and block the jets....PITA.

Handy hints Narrawa,
One more is to always pull on the cord and leave the engine on compression, ie: Both valves closed prevents moist air entering engine and causing corrosion and sometimes seizing valves.
Any update Nailfinder?

Full of oil , wet spark plug , miserable spark, drained carby to get fresh fuel in machine , He's one one you all haven't mentioned , No wasp nest in exhaust , Been down at the Honda agent no for two days and still won't,t go . I've worked on small motors all my life and agree Honda would be the pick . repair shop has others with the same problem ??? Will keep everyone posted on the results

That reminds me of a old chainsaw I had, when I got it there was a weak spark, I pulled it apart, and the magneto part that gave it the spark had been set waaaaay too far apart, upon closing the gap it started properly. Also , it sounds dumb but have you tried another spark plug?

To me it sounds like a wasp has nested in the exhaust pipe or the tiny mesh spark arrester could be blocked it really doesn't take much of a block to stop a small engine from starting just a thought as I have serviced many that had this otherwise everyone has given all the advise already that I could think of .. good luck ;)
:lol: oh I just noticed you said it has weak spark then I would check the gap at the coil and magneto .. needs to be about the right width or you will get no spark or vey little...and clean the magnets if they are a little rusty.. also try disconnecting the kill switch wire from the magneto and see if it starts as it maybe earthing out a little bit and trying to stop itself.

Update gentleman, phone call to say it's ready , I asked what did you find ? They said the carby was blocked ( brand new machine ) and it was starving for fuel . When I removed the plug it was wet with fuel I explained how can the carby be blocked if the plug is wet with fuel ? Do these things have a filter ? , And then they tried to charge me $ 110 to fix . I explained that is still under warranty , they couldn't explain anything and started getting stroppy , time to leave . I've sent an email to Honda and they can sort this mess out . Will keep you all posted .

Wow, sounds like you took it to 3 stooges honda, did you leave it with them?

grubstake said:
Are these Honda gensets still actually made in Japan, or have they been off-shored to China?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The only honda,s made in japan are motorcycles these days, your guess would be as good as mine, Thailand maybe?
and outboards, some special parts/transmissions.

B5MECH said:
grubstake said:
Are these Honda gensets still actually made in Japan, or have they been off-shored to China?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The only honda,s made in japan are motorcycles these days, your guess would be as good as mine, Thailand maybe?
and outboards, some special parts/transmissions.

I should have added, If you left it there due to the bill, did it have a made in china sticker, near engine on/off switch, it probably came from ebay
It is still a genuine honda but was not ment for sale in Australia, US, or Europe and has no warranty in these countries, so if that is the case I would pay their bill and pick it up quickly before they find something else wrong with it. :|

I sent a note to Honda about the issue when it first happened and gave them the serial number , it is a Honda imported by Honda and sold by a registered Honda reseller , Motorbike shop in Biloela . They had all the records of its purchase and all our previous Honda purchases, mowers etc. The generator was made in Thailand, so I am hoping that Honda is still the very reliable gear we are all used to . We will find out . Will keep you updated. Heading to Clermont for a weeks detecting tomorrow , so will rely on battery and solar panels .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts