Holes or slots?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question,should I drill holes or cut slots in my spray bars?How far apart and how big?

Do 2 spray bars & determine which works best in your sluice & area. See walbanker for slots. Calculate supply tube cross section and use that to calculate the number of holes requires. 6 mm holes worked on my sluice.

I was wondering what the outcome of the project was, if there was any noticable difference between holes or slots. Its interesting, possibly having slots with the same actual "area" exact amount of space the 6mm hole would have might give a fanout effect of the water maybe? The water spraying out might cover a wider area onto the sluice tray. Ive thought about since i saw the post last night but cant really determine if it would actually make a noticable difference apart from the slots being a little harder drill into the spraybar.

Eldorado said:
Quick question,should I drill holes or cut slots in my spray bars?How far apart and how big?

Good question mate, but the answer is a hard one. It really gets back to the type of equipment and configuration within that equipment you will be running. Along with the type of wash you will be processing. For me holes work the best in the equipment i have and the wash i am working clay mostly, but in saying that the size of the slots and jetting holes comes into play. I have found 2 mm jetting holes works great for me with plenty of pressure and cutting power and very fuel efficient which is another point which must be looked at when deciding. Cheers Jemba

Wall banker

On the riser place a 30cm length of 4cm wide masking tape. Measure in from both ends 10cm and mark with a pen. Divide the section between these at 2cm intervals, giving you 14 slots, and cut these slots using a "drop saw" from one side of the masking tape to the other. This will give you the right sized slots.
From Wal Dec 2015

Latest posts