Holden rodeo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know but I have a 03 v6 LT with only 102k on the clock and it seems unstoppable in Average 4x4 conditions. Bush beach etc. :Y:

The rodeo will most likely have the 3lt turbo isuzu engine, good motor. I have a MY11 Isuzu D Max with that engine and it has 306 000 kms on the clock now. The only problem I have had was the water pump at 265 000 kms.

Cheers

Doug

What year ?

Rodeo was a GM / Isuzu badged holden from 1988 - 2003 , due to a huge number of warranty issues and huge legal bills over the years as GM fought to deny that any issues existed , they had a falling out .

Isuzu D-Max is the new baby , a rebadged redesigned vehicle .

Which one are you looking at ?

You never know what you will find if you google search for holden rodeo common faults

Weak clutches , lightweight chassis that will crack if you tow a lot , average brakes , short lived harmonic balancers , cracking exhaust manifolds in the Petrol version , lousy rear springs rated at 1000 kg payload 250 kg payload etc

CreviceSucker said:
What year ?

Rodeo was a GM / Isuzu badged holden from 1988 - 2003 , due to a huge number of warranty issues and huge legal bills over the years as GM fought to deny that any issues existed , they had a falling out .

Isuzu D-Max is the new baby , a rebadged redesigned vehicle .

Which one are you looking at ?

You never know what you will find if you google search for holden rodeo common faults

Weak clutches , lightweight chassis that will crack if you tow a lot , average brakes , short lived harmonic balancers , cracking exhaust manifolds in the Petrol version , lousy rear springs rated at 1000 kg payload 250 kg payload etc

I ve had two..One was the old 2.8l D in swb..it was a bit under powered, but I loved that vehicle and it did everything I asked and was just the right balance between on and off road for what I wanted it for..

I then got one of the newer models with that common rail engine..what a bitch!. I had no end of problems with it including the engine blowing due to the oil issues you mention..swore I would never have another Isuzu again just because of the way I was treated :mad: The problems almost finished Isuzu as a brand in the UK and it took years for their reputation to recover..

In fairness, the later DMAX seems to have a much better general reputation and although it has some "issues", very few of its direct competitors are completely trouble free either. That said most are streets ahead of that old common rail diesel design....

aussiefarmer said:
Still plenty of old rodeos on the road so that says something, I never liked them but I never had one, friends that did loved them. I think the first Colorado's were lemons , I know of 3 that were.
Yep heard the same about the first Colorados .But i do own and drive an old rodeo 3.5 lrt petrol it hasnt let me down yet. Mine goes where im needing when i want it to .

I've got a 2001 petrol, 3.3 lt fuel injected. I can't speak highly enough of it. If I had to pick something I would say fuel consumption, but I work it hard with some big towing loads, like 3.5 tonnes, so yes it will use a bit of fuel. Have learned to turn the aircon off and that saves a noticable amount. And I've found that it runs super well on E10 94 octane.

As I said, I can't complain and it works bloody hard. Very comfortable to drive which is good because I regularly do a 700 km round trip. Haven't used 4WD much but when I have it pulls your head off. As good as I've driven.

Phoenix76 said:
I work it hard with some big towing loads, like 3.5 tonnes

A bloke up the road has one, good knockabout vehicle, but pretty sure he said max towing capacity if 2 tonne braked.

With Holden being going, going........., I personally wouldn't touch one. Think future.

JD3 said:
With Holden being going, going........., I personally wouldn't touch one. Think future.

Plenty of spares around at the moment, won't be long and we'll be hearing how they fetch 20k+ at auction :eek: WTF a Rodeo :argh: who'd of thought. Same might (I use might lightly) just happen with the Jeeps in about 100 years :playful:

RM Outback said:
JD3 said:

Plenty of spares around at the moment, won't be long and we'll be hearing how they fetch 20k+ at auction :eek: WTF a Rodeo :argh: who'd of thought. Same might (I use might lightly) just happen with the Jeeps in about 100 years :playful:
:lol: Or end up like these in several yrs time under "destroy my holden! Too many sensors to keep em on the road with todays cars, as soon as they stop making them they're done. Why you see so few 80s 90s fords and holdens on the road now. No sensors left. Thats why I wouldn't touch a Holden no matter how cheap. Theyre done.
They only commit to 10 yrs parts and with a see you later by Holden I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Its 10 yrs with current makers. Not folders like Holden. Even the makers of the sensors say they have a max 10 yr lifespan.
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/XJXI2Gv5vYc[/video]

clint3 said:
Im looking at the rodeo diesel or 05 triton 2.8 diesel

Go for it clint3 :Y: I couldn't resist replying to JD3's post :D first thought was the latest Jeep thread. To be honest the smart purchase is what your happy with :Y: what ever it is is it worth it :| if you think so it is. Put simply as far as Rodeo's go there's heaps of spares if needed the big spend is if you can't do repairs yourself. There' was/is a truck load of rodeo's on the road and that tells you there's plenty of parts knowledge tools and ability is the cost saving to keep it on the road going forward.

As for the Jeeps I've heard some horror stories more than likely 3rd or 4th hand. The above relates to buying 2nd hand anything, Jeep, Toyota, Rodeo, Ford, Mercedes whatever. I've just bought Kate an 08/200 Cruiser and I'll back it in I'll be spending some extra coin on it. Why did I buy it because she liked it and it was well priced, I don't have all the tools to deal with it but most I can handle and have a good support system of knowledgeable people to reference issues. What ever you do don't buy a truck :lol: :eek:

clint3 said:
Im looking at the rodeo diesel or 05 triton 2.8 diesel
Tritons are good but stay clear of high klms, check to see if feul filters have been upgraded or doubled up, put simply most modern desiels any brand are throw away due to cost if feul system fails, if you have time pull the air hose off the intercooler and wipe your finger in it and see how much carbon crud is in there, as the pollution plumbing feeds it all back through.
We have 2x 2011 tritons as far vehicles , bought cheap with under 100,000 klms on them , bought to be used and abused around the farm , both are holding up well with just over 110,000 klms now.

JD3 said:
RM Outback said:
JD3 said:

:lol: Or end up like these in several yrs time under "destroy my holden! Too many sensors to keep em on the road with todays cars, as soon as they stop making them they're done. Why you see so few 80s 90s fords and holdens on the road now. No sensors left. Thats why I wouldn't touch a Holden no matter how cheap. Theyre done.
They only commit to 10 yrs parts and with a see you later by Holden I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Its 10 yrs with current makers. Not folders like Holden. Even the makers of the sensors say they have a max 10 yr lifespan.
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/XJXI2Gv5vYc[/video]
Lol.
I have an 03 v6 Holden Rodeo and it was not made buy Holden.
They have been gone for many years :) :lol:

Latest posts