Holden Gone!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blame is easy! I'd like to see people come up with some creative ways to boost the economy and create jobs. Maybe we need to think outside the box rather than spend millions on sticky tape to continually repair the broken box. Just so you know I have no idea how to do what I am suggesting. Need to leave it to smarter people!

Bushranger said:
Blame is easy! I'd like to see people come up with some creative ways to boost the economy and create jobs. Maybe we need to think outside the box rather than spend millions on sticky tape to continually repair the broken box. Just so you know I have no idea how to do what I am suggesting. Need to leave it to smarter people!

I hear that, need to get rid of the US model, that capitalist bs has run its path...

Sw1fty said:
Bushranger said:

I hear that, need to get rid of the US model, that capitalist bs has run its path...
Its seems more and more people are coming around, maybe the revolution isnt as far off as some think. Only problem is it would take high unemployment and maybe some hunger to get it over the line.

Balx said:
Sw1fty said:
Bushranger said:

Its seems more and more people are coming around, maybe the revolution isnt as far off as some think. Only problem is it would take high unemployment and maybe some hunger to get it over the line.

Thats nearly here...

Sw1fty said:
I call shenanigans!!!

forces in the USA want to kill off our manufacturing purely to stimulate the US car makers.

do we have enough people , skills and infrastructure to set up our own aussie car maker ?

the hell with buying them off the US.

Okay ?

sneak in and buy all the holden plant at auction and tool up to make our own

HeadsUp said:
Sw1fty said:
I call shenanigans!!!

forces in the USA want to kill off our manufacturing purely to stimulate the US car makers.

do we have enough people , skills and infrastructure to set up our own aussie car maker ?

the hell with buying them off the US.

Okay ?

sneak in and buy all the holden plant at auction and tool up to make our own

If I was able to, I would hire all the workers from there tomorrow and do just that
Opportunity for a real aussie billionaire to show their patriotism ;)

Quite frankly, I got laid off from the mining industry this year, and they don't get propped up by the government to the tune of millions of dollars every year, nor any assistance outside of work to find a new job, why should any other industry be treated any differently? Many people in my industry are currently out of work, forget about the the BHP's and the Rio Tinto's, there is much more to the industry than two companies.

Manufacturing in Australia is headed for the wall, you only have to look at the US as a model for what lies ahead for us. Wages and salaries cannot increase every year without affecting the bottom line of many companies, you only have to look at how many iconic companies have closed up shop and headed overseas during the last few years (Mmmm, Minelab sending manufacturing to Malaysia vs Aussie jobs for example).

Don't blame the liberals, labor had its chance at doing something for the long term, but ultimately failed, but they also knew the writing was on the wall. Company after company shut up shop and moved their base abroad under the labor govt, they stood by and did absolutely nothing to entice them to stay in Oz. At least the currently govt recognised that Holden is simply unsustainable in the Australian and world market. ....and wasn't it labor that introduced policy regarding FBT on novated car leasing arrangements that nearly shutdown the industry overnight, am guessing a lot of their cars were also sourced from holden.

Lets face it, looking at the big picture, Holden isn't the first and won't be the last company walking out of Australia.

This is a result of our so called fair trade agreements. How can Australian businesses compete against other countries when our workers get paid much more then the rest of the world? If we as a nation are going to retain any of our manufacturing industries and pay our workers a decent wage then Tariffs must be applied to imports. This has to start with applying Tariffs to key industries like Smelting, machining, farming, Automotive, etc.

The way it is going at the moment Australia will not be able to manufacture its own Arms to fight an Invasion force in the future. I no this sounds far fetch, but believe me its possible. We must protect Smelting and machining industries because once there gone they are so hard to re-establish. The knowledge will go with them. Look how much we lost from our old timers in gold prospecting, if it was another 50 years we would not know how to prospect. All ready we lost so much knowledge from the old timers in this regard.

Sorry to bring this up, but if the cap fits were it. How many people on this forum have purchased metal detectors from overseas? Well by saving a few bucks you are just adding another nail to our small business coffins and your children's future. The Government needs to apply the GST to all purchases to provide a FAIR TRADE TO OUR SMALL BUSINESSES. Our Government are signing Fair trade deals with other countries left, right and centre.

Has Fair trade deals really done this country any good?

Sorry to ramble on, but its a sad day for all Australians to see Ford and GM Holden close their doors.

Balx said:
Sw1fty said:
Bushranger said:

no

all it would take is 20 thinkers to get together a facebook page , twitter , linkedin etc , all the internet tools we have now , and shake the tree

devise new strategies to wipe out corrupt politicians , give federal police new powers so they can actually charge and get convictions on the Tripod'ites , Obeid'ites and other corrupt maggots , confiscate all their assets here and hidden overseas and return them to the taxpayers they belonged to.

sit down with the Lowy Institute Think Tank and give them doorways to rewrite government policy structures , piss off abbott and give him a job behind the counter at macdonalds in dubbo .
find out who the journalists were who chopped down Rudd in the public eye under Rupert Murdogs instructions and charge them and their masters off shore with conspiracy for toppling a legitimate goverment , weed out the deadshit pollies and send them surfing in W.A with a pork chop tied to their ankle ( joking ) , give support to the talent we do have in govt , get rid of dead wood in public service , get rid of antiquated rules that suffocate business , put a cop in every council to flush out corrupt councilors from helping their bent developer mates while obstructing honest taxpayers from legitimate development applications

um . yeah .

would anyone out there support this or are they running to watch the reruns on TV of "Days of Our Lives" coz thats more credible ?

They have to adapt and do something else like everyone else does. At least they had time to prepare and will probably get a good package.

I spent a year driving a taxi whilst I did a new qualification to pay the bills. There isn't job security anymore but you can survive.

At least it isn't the US with a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.

Typically looking after No1, corporations are not interested in us or the country other than for what they can get. Pure greed.
If we were all the same, this forum would not exist.
Can only hope it is a phoenix in Aussie colours.

Is that the end of V8 supercars?

richo966 said:
who is the winner here the liberal party kill the car industry strike a blow against labour unions same as labour did to the nt cattle trade

Aussie car makers have been on thin ice for at least the last decade, this is why they need government funding to keep their doors open. It can't really be blamed at 1 particular side of government, it's just the way the market goes. So many other car companies who make offshore and bring ion cheaper cars that people can actually afford.

Have been disapointed for a long time that Holden would not use Australian made automatic transmissions (produced in Albury NSW) but are happy to ask for Australian taxpayer hand-outs!

With no real need to protect the local car industry anymore, I'm guessing any levys/taxes on imported cars may be dropped now. I see the pollies are already talking about replacing their chauffeured Holdens with BMW's now. The luxury car tax should also go, making cars like BMW's more affordable to the masses considering they are just a common car in Germany. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Sw1fty said:
Don't blame unions, without them we would already be a third world country and the Global Financial Crisis that was caused by bad banking practices and corporate greed, would have driven us to a very bad situation had we not had the money in our pocket to keep business, big and small, running

Hear Hear!,,

slowflow said:
Typically looking after No1, corporations are not interested in us or the country other than for what they can get. Pure greed.
If we were all the same, this forum would not exist.
Can only hope it is a phoenix in Aussie colours.

Is that the end of V8 supercars?

Hopefully ,

There is not too much of any road car in the current V8 super cars & the sooner we go back to proper production car formulae the better, wether it be Ford/GM or European Marques

Braddo said:
Have been disapointed for a long time that Holden would not use Australian made automatic transmissions (produced in Albury NSW) but are happy to ask for Australian taxpayer hand-outs!
Hit the nail on the head there!!

One of the reasons i'm writing this from sunny Australia and not bleak Northern England is that in another time and place the cotton manufacturing industry was thought by the owners and investors to have got too costly, this was around the late 1830's and production gradually went offshore to INDIA and in the process throwing thousands of cotton factory workers in Northern England into poverty. My 5 times maternal great grandfather, his occupation: "Cotton Twister" found himself and his family in the poorhouse and "offered" as bounty immigrants by the parish poor law relief committee to a shipping agent looking to fill ships bound for New South Wales, basically as a convenient solution! "to relieve the burden on the parish". The ship was filled and the bounty collected by the shipping company on arrival in Botany Bay for every live 'landed ' immigrant - except one, one Mary Smethurst 42 years of age who died on the voyage out and was buried at sea somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.... John her husband landed at Botany Bay in 1842 with a handful of children - and today we, their descendants prosper.

So why this story? ..... what is happening in our time has happened before, more than once, and it is market forces at play, aka the working of the capitalist system that we live under and as depressing as it is the way forward is "accept, adapt, achieve".

casper

" when the going gets tough - the tough get going "

Latest posts