Hilux doesn't kick over, any suggestions?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, I feel your pain.

Wife's car hasn't started for four months. Thousands of dollars spent. Several mechanics have failed so far, most refuse to even look at it. Just one BS excuse after another...

I offered to 'fix' it myself with a miners pick. The wife refused my kind offer. She hasn't forgiven me for 'fixing' my computer with fire. Found gold in the ashes though ;)

I'm lucky if I can sneak away for an hour a fortnight with MY car to do some prospecting. Cabin fever has set in. It takes three hours to walk up the shop for durries...

All I can say mate is best of luck with the car and I hope you mend soon so you can find that nugget that's waiting for you to stub your toe on.

Hooked up the battery today. Triple checked all connections were tight. No go. I did notice that a crackling arcing sound coming from a solenoid. I gave it a few taps with the pliers and the crackling sound seemed to drop in and out. Solenoid looked abit sticky. Got a auto elec booked in for tomorrow. Hopefully it gets soughted.

Resistance tested anywhere from 0.1 to 0.4 ohm from battery neutral to random spots on engine body.

Everything else seems to work fine, head lights, radio, elec Windows, aircon/heaters.

Since you have a auto elec coming it's probably just info but I was wondering if you cleaned all the ground connections i.e. unbolt clean and and tighten up again? Lights, radio etc. are earthed to the chassis but the starter is earthed to the engine and requires a lot of current earthed back to the chassis which in turn is earthed to the battery. Your resistance readings look a little high for cable size vs distance so the engine to chassis ground cable sticks out to me.

With the solenoid you could hook a cable directly from the battery to the solenoid blade connector to fire it to rule out the wiring/relays controlling this as well.
Jon

rhino rt said:
the best way to check it is to put the volt meter on ur earths and crank the engine if the volts stay steady then there is no short
rhino

Nice, spot on. That'll test your resistance (volt drop) across each cable.
Jon

Check your fuses. My sone had a similar problem with his Landcruiser. He had it towed to a garage and all it was a faulty fuse.
Also if your car is an automatic, there is a switch to prevent the car from starting if not in park. If you pulled on some wires, check the wires running to the gearbox and your gear lever as well. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted. BB

Good news...

Some of cheep replacements work well... But at least with an Original you will have more chance of it starting every time...

Similar problem with a truck recently, previous mechanic replaced starter motor to the tune on 3k and all it was, was a faulty starter solenoid, sparky would have sorted it for you, hope it all turned out well!

Good to hear you are back in action Chucky,

On Friday my car went out in sympathy with the wife's car so we were carless for the weekend. She was driving of course...
Thankfully, today both are back on the road.

Again, it came down to a non genuine piece of Chinese 'near enough is close enough for a precision part' crud. Old mate in Daylesford near the railway bridge did a great job. He even swapped out the offending part with the one from his own car.

Guess what I will be doing tomorrow? :D

Latest posts