Hilux doesn't kick over, any suggestions?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Great start to the family holidays. Drove from Melbourne to Merimbula NSW.

Hilux didn't miss a beat. Woke this morning and she didn't kick over first go. Tried again and was successful. Went into town for a coffee and a look around. When finished in town the kids and Mrs piled back into the truck. Turned the key, weighted for the glow plug light to turn off and got nothing. Tried several times without any success. Jiggled a few wires around and then she kicked over no worries. I decided to go back to our accomodation and give the battery a recharge. She was on recharge for about 6hrs and still nothing.

Has anyone had any issues like this before. I know nothing about cars. I have had the glow plugs replaced about 2 weeks ago and the starter motor about 3 weeks ago when the truck was serviced.

I guess I have to wait until Monday now until I can get someone to come and have a look at it. I'm guessing more around the last lines of an auto elec than a a mechanic.

Any suggestions??? :(

Hi Chucky Boy,
Make sure all the battery terminals are clean and properly tightened.
If the battery's not charging check the alternator output, does the battery light go out when it starts? if it does it should be charging okay.
check the battery voltage, if it's not accepting a charge it might be time for a new battery. most modern cars wont start unless there is at least 12v in the battery.

Chuky boy,
This is intermittent and these can be s%its to solve. how old is the lux?

Basics.

1/. Check that the started motor cables are tight on the terminal screws (where they attach).
2/. Check battery terminals are clean and tight.

If you are in the RACV then ring the NRMA and they will come and possible fault find for free.

If you are not in the RACV and you ring the NRMA the may want you to join the NRMA before they will have a look at lux.

Regards

Ian

Jiggling some wires then it starts isn't a battery problem - a battery doesn't go from bad to good by jiggling some wires. Also, 13V on an idling battery indicates fully charged. I haven't worked in auto electrics for a while, but here are my thoughts:
1. To check battery connections, turn on a few aux circuits (cabin lights and parkers etc). If battery voltage holding around 12.5V, that is confirmation that your battery is OK.
2. Could be a battery terminal connection problem. Again, measure voltage across battery lead terminals with headlights on, and then across the wire lugs - should be no appreciable difference if lugs are correctly tightened.
3. If that's all good, then it may be a starter motor connection problem - just a coincidence that it was only recently replaced? Solenoids don't work or not work by jiggling wires, but the connections can.
4. Check all connections to starter motor/solenoid are tightened. Still not cranking? Now with car in park and handbrake on, CAREFULLY measure voltage across solenoid control input with your missus starting the car. If voltage is present when turning the ignition on, the control part is OK, so that means it's likely from your battery to the solenoid +ve terminal is suspect. If no voltage, then your ignition circuitry/wiring is faulty.
Let us know how you get on. Good Luck.

Could be many things as metioned but sounds like a bad earth, check your resistance from your battery earth to your engine block and also body mounting earth it should be as low as possible, and check tightness of your starter mounting bolts as the earth the starter, and also tap the starter motor with a small to medium sized hammer if it starts time to rebuild it. If it does start by wiggleing wires you need to find that bad connection, All sounds like bad earth of worn starter or loose/dirty battery terminals.

He knows nothing about cars he said"" so probably no tools either id guess, mate try jiggling the wires again,if it starts then one of the wires you jiggled is not done up or loose plug so check all of them

The jiggled wires might have gotten you close to the problem. With the volltage you have it doesn't sound like battery. If you have your lights on high beam do they dim when cranking, any clicking noises etc?

If it's quiet when trying to stsrt and if you have the usual starter setup it might be the solenoid wire, that's the small wire to your starter. It'd attach with a blade connector. Make sure this is clean and firmly attached. When your truck doesnt start check that there is power to it at the solenoid end when cranking.
Jon

Cheers guys l'll have a muck around tomorrow. I've completely disconnected the battery and I now have it inside the cabin on a 240 car charge for overnight. I've got standard tools on me inclusive of socket set, philps and flat blade screw drivers, electrical pliers, multi meter.

Blisters, there is no sound at all when I turn the ignition. It did sound like it gradually got worst. Now I get nothing. When I am doing the resistance test do I go directly from the neg battery terminal to the main engine block. I expect I should be looking for a reading as low or as close to 1 ohm.

Chucky, 1 ohm is way too high. Should be no different to shorting your multimeter leads together. It must be way to small for your multimeter to even register.

It should have a little more than 1ohm but low ohms and the body earth is a little higher ohm reading, if its making a click noise when turn to crank whack your starter starter motor, your solinoid contacts are dirty in it. If theres is no click when crank position on switch check power to the solinoid wire [small blade terminal] if there is no power when cranking problem is back to the ignition switch, If you cant make it start now wiggling wires the bad connection may have seperated or disconected.

Chuky boy ...... You can't win lately. You must be on the verge of finding a huge nugget!
Can't help you with the car, but best of luck with getting it sorted, and enjoy your time with the family. Trust the arm is healing well. Cheers Dignit

Starter just replaced. ?
Have a careful look where the large lead is bolted onto the starter.
Please disconnect the battery if going near this area with a spanner.
Lotsa sparks and smoke. :eek:
It has a lock nut behind it.
I would nearly bet that the terminal is loose in the solenoid housing.
If you turn the key and nothing happens, Check the small wire on the
back of the starter near the large one.
There is a quick fire way of checking with a small screw driver but you do not know much about cars and could injure
or even kill your self.
If you are stuck, Send me a PM.
I am 25 Klm's away up the coast.
Can not have another member stranded in my area. LOL

Thanks tathradj. I've got the battery disconnected at the moment so I'll have a look see today. I really appreciate the offer and really don't want to put you out. I've booked the local auto elect to come out tomorrow but hopefully I can get her fixed up today.

Dig in it I've had a rough month. Arm still isn't any where near healed yet. It is very slowly on the mend. Nearly a month since it happened now. A huge Nugget sounds great right now I think I'm due for that retirement nugg any day now. :cool: