Highbanker Specs - Question for Wal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I now have all materials to build the walbanker and have cut out the template....just need clarification on the following:

Cable tray.....where it slots into the end of the hopper, are the sides reinforced with angle or are they just folded down.

The angle that is screwed down (between the bread crate and mesh) doesn't look to be equal angle - is it something else?

The carpet - I noticed the top end still has the outer edge attached. It hasn't been cut away from the weave. Is this so that the angle sits properly over it?

I have worked out everything else and have found a place to do the bending for $10 a fold.

Appreciate your help.

Pen :)

G'day Pen,

Just went outside and took a couple of pics of my Gold Version banker. (my sapphire banker is with a mate).

I hope most of the fastening system is self explanatory from the pics.

Side angles clamp crate and mesh in place. (fixed with lock nuts at front and released with wing nuts at rear).

U channel holds crate to mat and bottom of sluice.

Sides of cable tray are reverse folded.

Back of cable tray is supported by angle and bolted to rear of sluice.

If you need any advice or more detailed information please send me a PM and I'll talk you through it.

Cheers Wal.

1392707665_dsc_8003_1024x685.jpg

1392707745_dsc_8005_685x1024.jpg
1392707770_dsc_8006_685x1024.jpg
1392707826_dsc_8007_1024x685.jpg
1392707890_dsc_8008_1024x685.jpg
1392707913_dsc_8009_1024x685.jpg
1392707941_dsc_8010_685x1024.jpg
1392707993_dsc_8012_1024x685.jpg
1392708062_dsc_8013_1024x685.jpg

Hi Wal,
Bloody brilliant piece of engineering mate. :) :)
I see now the difference in the "Gems" version to the "Gold" Version.
This is what I am going to build and I can see a way to make the sluice do both just by changing the mats etc.
I was out at Oullen Ford the other day and was delighted to speak to a fellow having a go right beside the road until a car come along.
As the famous saying goes, "I'll be baaack" LOL

Seeya Soon.
Doug

Thank you Wal.

Seriously....you must be getting so tired of us infidels (learners) for the time you spend helping us - but I gotta say how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge....and for anyone else out there reading these Posts, if you have ever tried to put a 'walbanker' or elsewise together when you haven't done so before, then you will know it is not that easy. Wal.....I went to a place yesterday who sold me the alum 1.6 and they told me there was a person recently that purchased same to build a highbanker - that person ended up building 4 - one was for that person and the remaining 3 he sold overseas.....hmmmm - You really should Patent your 'Walbanker'. Don't let anyone else take your expertise away from you. The pics have sorted my dilemma's out. I will post the finished product..... :p

The "Gold" version can have the expanded sections swapped to suit different locations and have catwalk installed to catch sapphires. I custom set my catch section to suit the locations I'm working on. ;)

Spend a lot of time explaining the system to guys in the States and really don't mind sharing the concept with my fellow prospectors. Getting too old to worry about Patents. There's many systems out there that work, so happy to add another to the drawing board.

If you need any advice on trapping layouts for specific locations just send me a PM and I'll throw in my two bobs worth.

Cheers Wal.

Newprospector said:
Hi wal how much does it cost to build a high banker

Just depends on what you're building mate. If you source your own materials from scrap metal yards you can build a small Banker for as little as 50 bucks. To build a top of the range banker and have the sluice welded and folded can cost you over $400. The internals of the system i use are about as cheap as you can get, yet you can spend as much as $200 on just a gold mat like the "Hog Mats".

General rule is research your riffle systems and choose one that suits your area. The banker doesn't have to look impressive, ;) it merely has to be efficient in the trapping section.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
The "Gold" version can have the expanded sections swapped to suit different locations and have catwalk installed to catch sapphires. I custom set my catch section to suit the locations I'm working on. ;)

Spend a lot of time explaining the system to guys in the States and really don't mind sharing the concept with my fellow prospectors. Getting too old to worry about Patents. There's many systems out there that work, so happy to add another to the drawing board.

If you need any advice on trapping layouts for specific locations just send me a PM and I'll throw in my two bobs worth.

Cheers Wal.

Right you are. Thanks Wal. I can see an end in site and can't wait to get out there and try it out. I have some spare materials so am also putting together a small flat sluice....
:)

Hi Wal
I'm new to this site but love reading all the post.
I would love to build/ buy a high banker like you have but I know as a single female my ability is limited.
Do you currently make the high bankers to sell?
If Not, I live in the southern highlands could you recommend someone that could I'm prepared to travel.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jazie :)

G'day jazie, I build a few for forum members only, so when you get 10 posts up to enable the PM system send me a PM and i may be able to help. All the very best,

Wal.

Hi Wal or anyone who can help?

I am having trouble sourcing the mesh - both catwalk and standard. All I seem to be able to get are full sheets and they want an arm and leg. I have all other materials and have already folded the alum ready for welding. I went to our local metal recyclers also. No joy. Roofing places and everywhere else - no joy either. I live in the Gong and would be happy to pay postage and other costs if someone can help. I am building the highbanker for both gold and sapphires/gems so do need both types of mesh. Size of HB is 1500 long, 270 wide tapered to 210.

So very close and yet so far..... :|

Best regards, Pen

Send me a PM Pen, and I'll see what i can do. Just about to head to St Georges basin for some fishing but will be back Sunday evening. Can organize it early in the week for you.

Wal.

Hey Wal, I sent a PM but don't think it was sent. I have had a few probs trying PM's before, not sure what the issue is?

Pen :)

I don't think i have ever seen you using the expanded angled mesh in any of your videos before Wal. Is this a new layout you have gone with? And quite a large one at that. You seem to run it without mesh under it also, don't think i have ever seen that done. Have you got a video showing it in action? Thanks :)

Showmethemoney said:
I don't think i have ever seen you using the expanded angled mesh in any of your videos before Wal. Is this a new layout you have gone with? And quite a large one at that. You seem to run it without mesh under it also, don't think i have ever seen that done. Have you got a video showing it in action? Thanks :)

My "Gold Only" version has an aluminium sloped expanded, and this is the type I mainly use in high ironstone areas such as Tuena. I run 3 different versions depending on the areas I am working. The gold only version has the crate at the end of the sluice and the expanded between that and the end of the slick plate.

I never run any mat under the expanded and rely on displacement theory to clear the heavies. As nothing displaces gold it always stays under the expanded and only a very small number of flakes make it too the crate. I highly recommend the expanded sits on the sluice bottom only, with no restrictive mat, carpet, ribbed rubber etc under it.

The last 2 vids I posted show the gold only version in action. Will try and do a demonstration of this version in the next vid showing exactly what is going on in the catch zone.

Cheers wal.

Evening Wal,
I have used expanded for some years now but I didn't know you could get the mesh in alloy.
Who would sell this stuff as it is and would be much lighter than the steel mesh that I use, also what sizes does it come in?
Quite a production line happening there Wal, well done.
Heading out for 4 days digging on this coming Sunday, 4 glorious days digging.
Cheers and Happy Hunting
Brad....

The particular version I use has the specific height to width ratio I need for a banker of my dimensions. It's extremely hard, if not impossible, to get hold of in off cut form and only sold in full sheet form. You need to be extremely lucky to get any change out of $500 for a sheet. I get mine from an engineering firm who supplies my company with commercial facade materials.

Best of luck with the digging over the next 4 days and hope the gold cooperates for you.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts