Hiding under a fallen tree

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just shows ya that it hides well
Found this roughly 8 inches down.
Faint target but worth the extra time to
locate it :)
1377332372_image.jpg

Lovely nugget - nice weight too at 8 inches. Can you please advise detector and coil?

cracker mate. I used to run an 11" DD on a 2200. I switched over to a 4500. A bloke I was with recently said SD users are more tolerant of noises and sounds on the GPXs as we are used to wheezes, grunts and grumbles of the older PIs.

loamer said:
..........we are used to wheezes, grunts and grumbles

These are just the noises I make not to mention the detector noises of the SD. :lol:

I'm running an 11" DD on my SD2200 so good to see your getting reasonable depth on 1/2 grammers. Just bought a 14" DD Pro Elite so can't wait to get out & compare/try it.

Not yet DD. soon mate, and i hope the offer
of you guiding me about the joint is still open.
It would be awesome to catch up with you, dudette and
Ya nut cruncin dog :)

mbasko said:
loamer said:
..........we are used to wheezes, grunts and grumbles

These are just the noises I make not to mention the detector noises of the SD. :lol:

I'm running an 11" DD on my SD2200 so good to see your getting reasonable depth on 1/2 grammers. Just bought a 14" DD Pro Elite so can't wait to get out & compare/try it.

mbasko - 14" DD on the 2200 are magic! If you haven't run one before you will be surprised at the results. An excellent patch hunting coil and you can fairly zip along and cover ground. I found them a bit more quieter as well on golden triangle hot ground. I did well on both the 11" and 14" DD on trashy ground with the discriminator on. They keep going where monos fear to tread (in my humble opinion).

Sounds good - haven't run one before but did some research before buying it & kept coming back to the 14" DD, even though there's some good coils about with some good results. I think it will be a good match for the 2200 & some of the ground around here.

Mbasko - my settings. Deep (shallow is just too noisy), fixed, discriminator off (90% of the time), both channels, threashold just humming. I used to ground balance frequently just to keep the 2200 on its toes. I also ran the 7.2v battery set-up. After you get used to the 14", try (hire or borrow) a 18" DD for deep ground and patch hunting. Then you will notice the 2200 runs like a dream and gets little noise. It is still deadly on smaller pieces close to the surface. I have a very experienced friend who did very well with the 2200 in the early days with an 14" and 18" DD and he swears they are the optimum coils for the 2200.

You running an audio booster on the 2200? Probably not a bad idea as they can give it a bit of an edge. They are a lovely machine and me and my detecting mates that have GPXs have kept their 2200s as well. I will admit that starting the 2200 up versus a GPX is two different worlds. the GPXs are bang - away you go - the 2200 fxrts, splutters and takes its own good time to get going, as does the user. My grandson runs my 2200 now after learning on a VLF - he loves how 'quiet' the PIs are in comparison.

Good luck mate -I am sure you will do well.

Thanks Loamer I will give those settings a go. An 18" DD was next on my shopping list but will be a little bit before I get one. I use the little ripper 7.2v battery & wireless booster set up. Also have a back up 6v & super sound booster. Usually I prefer using a speaker but have found, after using the GMT & being used to constant noise, that headphones are better with the 2200 - I believe I can hear targets at more depth when testing with headphones rather than the speaker.
I can see how your grandson appreciates how quite the PI's run. Thought there was something wrong with it to start with :lol: . The GMT screams through an amplified speaker allowing you to keep the gain + vsat high with a lower threshold but the 2200 is very quite/subtle in comparison even through a booster.The GPX must be a dream to operate.

KD sorry to highjack your thread mate and again congrats on your find!

That's a great find I can't wait to find a nugget like that with my 2200 that the wife doesn't know I've got yet :lol: just have to wait a bit longer as she does with clothes & shoes and say I've had it for ages a mate gave it to me remember I showed you months ago ! :D

Dont be sorry mbasko. Its all good mate.
Cheers guys.
The are that is known to be flogged isnt!!
Until you flog it :)
If i can find 3 bits in 10 metres and coils have
detected the place for 30 years then i dont believe it :)

KoD

loamer said:
Mbasko - my settings. Deep (shallow is just too noisy), fixed, discriminator off (90% of the time), both channels, threshold just humming. I used to ground balance frequently just to keep the 2200 on its toes. I also ran the 7.2v battery set-up.
Exactly what I use, the button mod makes ground balancing a breeze.

Found a nice one too near the base of a tree at Sandstone a few months ago and a bit of a job getting to it too. We took a photo of the hole!

Goldandsand, sounds just like our household. Must admit I've done that with the dress and shoes but as I'm the main detector operator, I also bought my 2nd hand 4500 in front of hubby when he thought we were only going to look!! Just a quick - I'll have it thanks - and it was all done. Best thing ever and next trip is in the planning. I also bought an X-terra 705 in Kalgoorliea few years ago after our hire time was up as I hated the thought of still being in the area not having one. Other half had really hurt his back getting into a vehicle we bought and we had to stay put for a couple of weeks. It was good practice time anyway.

Nice work. The first guy to ever take me detecting and show me the ropes before sending me out on my own always used to say if you see a tree branch or log, move it. Chances are the guy before you didn't.

Well done mate.

Latest posts