Hidden security cam.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive read on here about people using video cameras while out to keep an eye on their campsite or highbanking gear etc. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some models or perhaps what to search for. My searches seem to bring up domestic home type ones.
Gaz

There have also been people caught by mining companies and farmers sneaking around were they shouldn't be as well,Mostly shooters etc.But yes i have a trail cam i often point at the camp.
\

Thats what im thinking Atom , there would be many uses for them . My first use is trying to source a major building leak at work. Everything looks in order but we get flooded every big downpour , so i wanted to leave it to view what the water flow on the roof is doing . Then use it while away camping.

Some cheapies on Ebay but hard to say what the quality is like , and who knows if they are truly water proof. Some over the 300 buck mark , id want 2 so i can watch the other incase it gets stolen lol.
I was thinking they can record continously in video which i would need for my first use , they only seem to have about 10 minute record time . Im still keen on the idea for using it while im away tho.

Shop around gary. I've seen the Scoutguards from $350 in the shops to $160 on ebay for the same model.

You should be able to increase the record time by increasing the sd card size, you might be able to change resoloution and frame rate per second, lowering both will also increase record time, you might also be able to set it up to record only on movement instead of continuous recording, this will also help to record only the things you want too see.

Im not too knowledgeable on the trail type cameras, but I do know some makes and models work on a PIR (passive infrared detector) that when it detects movement it takes a photo and stores the photo on the sd card, obviously not what you are after, so keep an eye out. :)

GaryO,

I use a few trail cams , just on my way out but will add to this post later tonight when I get back. Should be able to put you on the right track

Andrew

What's the budget?
Still heavily involved with security guys I've gotten some great deals from the smaller guys doing direct imports....do you want record or stills?
There's some wicked stuff out there but depends on how the price tag makes you feel.

GaryO ,
As others have asked what type of budget do you have?
I run a few cams some self made out of Sony digital cams but these only are capable of stills and have a white flash which would give the game away.

I also run a couple of commercial cams have tried a few different brands but keep coming back and using a Lil acorn
Can set up for stills ,video or both with length of video how long between shots ect.
These cams have great colour day shots in both video and stills and night shots in black and white.
Black flash and infrareds fore night shots and pick up noises through the microphone.
as with all things there is always someone who wants your gear so I mount mine in a tree pointing down to feature I want to capture deer trail preach tree ect.
as most people don't tend to look up when surveying an area.
Not saying that it guarantees you may not loose it but a bit of camo around it so it doesn,t stand out like the proverbials , been very fortunate myself and have never had one go missing,
Heres a link to the Lilacorn site for you to have a look at also a link to another site with plenty of information on both commercial and homebrew cams, have not bought a commercial cam for a far while as I have to many H/Brew cams as it is and prefer to make my own up .

www.ltlacorn.com.au
http://www.hagshouse.com

Hope this helps
Regards Andrew :)

Edited to note these are movement and heat sensor cams

Choose a camera with infra red built in.
Set it to motion sense.
Place it around 7 feet above.
Idea is it is just above eye level.
In motion detect, It will only record when some thing comes into it's field of vision.
Very Effective.
Especially when you have a small sign placed that the intruder reads it when to late.
" Smile, You are on a Candid Camera. "
Use two with a cross field but make sure the second one is very well hidden at 10 Feet above ground level.
Thieves have a mental aptitude of zero. :lol:

Trails cams are pretty good & there's some reasonably compact models around these days. Just make sure you get something with decent quality pics & video, specially if used at night, some I've seen have pretty crappy night shots that makes it hard to see what in the pic, not to bad for deer hunting but would be hard to see a persons face with detail. Also, make sure they last a good amount of time with the batteries, some are very power hungry & make sure they are pretty water proof as well.
From what I can remember, Moultrie trail cams were meant to be one of the best available, well thats what alot of deer hunters liked to use anyway, but they were more expensive, the cheaper Acorn cams were meant to be alright from what I was told & a pretty cheap price too.

My budget is probably up to $200 or there abouts.
I like the idea of home brew setups, and Yobskins dash cam idea sounds good to. Im sure i could mount something in a weatherproof box if needed.
Love the feedback guys :)

Latest posts