HI im Andy from Sweden

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey , me and a friend are planning to go to Australia in 2014 , and of course we have like 193612842 questions , , but ill just try to fish a couple of answers in here. I have a Whites GMT , and i know it aint that good in your highly mineralized soil and i am now waiting for the new Garrett pi to hit the shelfs ,,,, if anyone of you reading this have a GMT please tell me if its any point at all bringing it to Australia. I could also buy a minelab gpx 5000 at a good price. but am waiting to see what the new garrett is about. As they have been in AUS testing it out. Thanks in adv. for any help and great to be on the forum.

Forget to say that we are comming to gold prospect ,,,, but maybe that was obvious.
Also can you help a tourist out and tell me where i can get info on where i am alowd to prospect ,,,after i have the permit of course

G'day Andy, it all depends on which state you plan to prospect in, as there are different rules for each state. Have a good look through the prospecting rules and regulations page, plenty of info there. When are you planning on visiting Aus? It can get very very hot in the Aussie gold fields in Summer.

I think a few of the members here use a GMT and do well with them.

You need to research a lot, I live about 3 hours from the goldfields and still have not found any nuggets with my GPX 5000, I love the hunt so hopefully soon. What I am getting at though is it is hard to find, I think a lot of tourists come here thinking it's easy only to be dissapointed they never found anything. Even if you don't find gold try to enjoy the experience and the Aussie bush. Be careful of our critters as some are extremely dangerous.

You can also book gold detecting tours over here for a reasonable price, doing one of these courses/tours almost guarantees you'll find some and learn a lot also. We have gemstones here also, it's great fun hunting these too.

Hi Andy, here in WA you can get your information at the same place you get your miners right from, which is the department of mines & petroleum, miners right is $25 here.

Hi , thanks for answering ,
Heatho , ,, and what gold field do you live 3 hours from , maybe you shouldnt go there any more hehe.... and yes if we find gold its like a bonus in the adventure , but i think its better to try and come prepared than just come to AUS and just then find out you want to prospect ,,,, ive been researching for about 3 years. But still havnt found answers to some of the basics about the rules ,, its too complicated, or im just dumb or both :p . Lived in AUS for 5 years in my youth , so i know about the critters you are talking about ,,,,one i really HATE is the Redback
:
:
gadgetman45 ,, yes i was thinking about that maybe asking there would be a good idea.

No worries Andy, still lot's out there, it's just difficult to find. I'll keep going back just because it's hard to find. :) If it were easy I'd get bored pretty quick.

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. I'm sure with your attitude, you will do well as you've done all the research and know what to expect.

Heatho, you're right, it's the thrill of the chase that keeps everyone going back for more. Bringing home the colour is an added bonus, a very very welcome bonus :)