Hi from canberra looking for Gems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk=Gem

Dirk
Reaction score
hello to all

My name is dirk from canberra looking to find gems/ anything to get out of the house and adventure anyone knowing their stuff i would like to come on adventure to learn the ropes. any knowledge would be awesome and will be taken on board

cheers dirk

hey banksy thanks for the welcome are you after Gems and sapphires or more the gold scene i just want to go fossicking with someone and learn ?? do you or anyone you know go often into the bush prospecting i just want to learn what to look for how to pick a sight or is it just luck ??

G'day Dirk. I'm a newbie today too.

There are two lapidary clubs in Canberra. Check them out. Active lot. Have own premises, courses, shows, meetings.

I am possibly going to need a second bod to go fossicking sooner or later. There is easy to get at stuff up at Grabben Gullen but not v interesting to me. I go to the Alps. Know where to find ruby and sapphires there. When its warm there are a lot of snakes they say, so not wise to go alone.

I have had a substantial timber holding up there and own some land in Tumbarumba too. I never saw a snake in 10 years. I did see a big male american cougar on the first day though. Could damn near touch it it was so close. They are there. Luckily I was in a car. It was more surprised than I was. Will never walk around there unarmed now. Panthers up there too.

Travel a lot to New England and there are some of the best sapphire patches in Australia close to where i stay. Trouble is Im new to it as you. Have been an opal man. Still am. Just that when I do market research I find markets for sapphires and all sorts of things Australian in my travels. Have sold to some of the biggest names in jewellery, but opals only. They seem to like my work. About to get active in Asia.

Have also done the trade gemmology course they ran at Canberra TAFE for a few years back.

wow didn't know we got rubies this far south never really thought of it though