Hi from Brissy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisJoe

Joe
Reaction score
Hey guys, Joe here from Brissy
Have been lurking accross several alluvial forums for a number of years and slowly getting my gear together so I can start to head out.

Interested to tag along with anybody who can teach me first hand about the process of searching for the ellusive yellow friend.

Welcome aboard Joe.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Nugget.

Thanks guys
Tomm, nothing as yet lol still trying to gte permission to spend funds on gear.
But I will be making my first sluice over the coming weekends, and will also be making a highbanker like Wal's fantastic setup as soon as I can source from sheet ally

Welcome to the forum Joe, looks like you need to do a bit of work on your persuasive powers. Not much information written in the forum about how to convince the wife a high-banker is of more value than a new pair of of shoes.

Best of luck with it, and be sure to share any secrets with us all if your successful. Good luck with your new found hobby and look forward to the progress.

Cheers Wal.

Hey Joe
Contact Bruce who does gold panning and metal detecting lessons out at Glendon Camping Area about 40km's west of Warrick. (http://www.glendoncamping.com.au/)
Spend a day with him and you'll learn a hell of a lot and help you get started and go home with some gold to boot.
I've pm'ed you his mobile. Just give him a buzz and line up a day. It's about 2.5hr drive from Brisvegas and just out past the Thanes creek fossicking area.

Hello and welcome Joe. The best bet is to try and get your wife to join in the hunt. Once she finds her first bit of yellow the job is half done.
Pretty easy to persuade her when she has the yellow fever as well :p

Thanks Eldorado a couple more posts and I'll be ableft to read the PM.
I asked her last night if she would like to go "camping" because she has asked me before about it.
she said "with who" as if I was going to invite our friends who have a boy who runs wild. And I said just the 3 of us, which she replied no way I'm not going out to the Bush by ourselves lol.
I said it would be to a camping ground etc and if she wants she cam bring our friends with the wild child.

I really want to get into it, as I'm a tinkerer and a designer, and if I'm not keeping myself busy building or designing things I go crazy lol, so building sluice and highbankers will keep me occupied with minimal expense.

Hey Joe I'd chuck his number up here but don't think its that wise to publicly post someones number on the internet.
@ more posts and you'll see your pm. :cool:

I would love to go out for a hunt but alas I have a very biiiiiggg hole in my backyard and half the house is gone..........but I got a new shed though.

We will work something out for sure.
Cheers
Brad....

Bet you wish your house was in the Golden Triangle....You'd be out there every day putting that stuff through the Hi-banker and leveling it nice and clean. Not to mention running around the yard with the detector during Smoko. :eek:

Cheers Wal.

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. My partner and I are new to this forum too and we also have not long been into prospecting. We noticed your post in the gold area of the forum so thought we would let you in on a few places. We have just began a big road trip right up to the Cape, we made our first stop out near Warwick at a little place called Pratten. The Qld Prospecting Club have a private campground and claim out there on 800 acres of land; there is also a public designated fossicking area at Thanes Creek. If you drop into the council offices in the Town Centre of Warwick they can provide you with a prospecting/fossicking permit and some info on Thanes Creek; the Qld club has a forum where you can find further information on their 800 acre site. We have also come across a great book that covers the Northern NSW/QLD border area "The Forgotten Country" by Isabelle Wilkinson; the book is all about the Gold Rush era's. She tells how the many reefs/deposits in the area were basically forgotten or abandoned as more viable or easy workings and employment opportunities became available(Very interesting read). We found quite a bit of flour gold at Thanes Creek but no big ones, I'm sure there are some real clangers out that way though. We cut our visit to the area short as a Mini Tornado ripped through the Pratten while we were there. I've marked a few areas on the GPS to return to there.
Good Luck
:)

Not wrong Wal, but alas it is only sandstone under the old girl.
I still have a few bkts to go thru and this weekend could see me doing a few.
Cheers
Brad

Latest posts