Hi everyone,new here and looking to get into a bit of prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sauce,
Welcome to the forum.
There's a fair few GPX's around on the used market at the moment.
Depending on budget you may be able to aim for a GPX 4500?
Minelab no longer service/support the GPX 4000.

Gday mate,
Ah ok,around $2500 would round it off I’d say for now.Any other options for around that price?

I've seen both GPX 4500's & SDC 2300's down around the $2500 mark.
Both good detectors & worth aiming for in that budget range.
GPX will give you more versatility.
SDC is more of a turn on & go detector geared more towards smaller gold.

Open to anything really,but definitely want more of a step up than the eureka I had.I holiday around the Golden Triangle and want to make the most of it.

Sauce, Owned a 4500 for 10 years and to this day I feel it was one of the best produced by Minelab. Below is a list of settings I used back in 2011 in WA.
Somewhere here in all the info there is a post of mine relating to tuning a 4500. Tried and proven, if decide on a 4500 you won't go wrong with this machine as your first detector.
Happy detecting.

GPX-4500
Front Panel
Search mode = General
Timings = Enhance
Ground balance = Fixed
Coil RX = Mono
Rear Digital
Back Light = Off
Battery Test = 8+
Volume Limit = 10
GB Type = General
Special Smooth (Only when front timing is set to “Special”)
Manual Tune = 95
Motion = Slow
RX Gain = 10/12
Audio = normal
Tone = 50 (your choice, practice with a small target and set this option to your hearing. Rule of thumb, the older you are the lower the tone)
Stabiliser = 8
Signal = 10
Target Volume = 10
Response = Normal
Tracking = Medium
Iron Reject = Off (This function only operates with DD coils)

Gday Nightjar,
Thanks so much for your advice,very appreciated.Will 100% be researching what you’ve offered and having a good look at the 4500,just need to get one for a good price.Thanks again.

Hi everyone,
Want to get into prospecting again after a half attempt with a Minelab eureka years ago.Looking at maybe a descent used 4000 this time.Thoughts anyone?
Hi Sauce. Always happy to put in my two bob’s worth. Notice you have already mentioned you had a half attempt with a Eureka a few years back. I realise that there are other circumstances in people lives that prevent them from continuing with activities that they attempt but could I respectfully suggest that it may also have been due to lack of success due to a detector not up to the task of finding gold in mineralized soils.
If that was even partly the case, do not risk the same mistake again, Stretch your budget so that you have NO doubts about the adequacy of your machine. That way you can fully concentrate on the other things you will need to learn to be successful.
That is your first requirement now.
I’d stick with Minelab for proven goldfield performance.
The 7000 & 6000 would be too dear.
GPX 5000 or 4500 or SDC 2300 would fit the bill as proven gold finders.
The 2300 is optimized for small shallow gold and you will almost assuredly be ”successful” but at some stage as you progress you may want to find larger and deeper gold.
Brings you back to the GPXs and with a three coil range small, standard and large, you will have plenty of depth and sensitivity options.
Lots of them about secondhand at the moment.
Going in too cheap is just wasting money and more importantly your enthusiasm.

Latest posts