Hi all

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all, Iimm new at this,I bought a 5000 a few weeks ago and spent the last two weeks up at the whipstick with one day training with peter from bendigo gold he found a small pin head but me nothing, I had an old elderado 20 years ago and went out about 10 times and still nothing,is it a case of being patient or am i doing something wrong or not just lucky

Nice forum name - wish I knew. Patience and technique are the keys. The Whipstick is recorded as one the best nugget producers around Bendigo. Because its close to Bendigo, there is unfortunately a bit off rubbish about. I would simply stick with rule 1 of detecting when starting out - start at the mullock heaps and work back up towards the reef workings. Do some research on the field and historic maps etc will give you some indication. Most people start at the DPI on-line store. (free downloads of maps). Don't know where you are located but I would be haunting the Bendigo City Library if thats where you live. A lot of the ground there has been done to death but with the 5000 you should get a result. I think there is a detecting club in Bendigo? may be worth checking. Can't help you with settings etc but I presume the trainer gave you some. If not, start with an 11"mono and use the factory presets. Good luck.

Hey mate.
I went out out with Mark and Ronda from from gold prospecting australia. They are super professional and super awesome with their knowledge. I even found some gold on my first trip with them. My profile pic is me kitted up in their gear. I would definately give them a call and spend a few days with them. They will sort you out. One thing i learnt is the gpx 5000 can be tweaked and tweaked and they know how to tweak so to speak. I know people who have had detectors and found nothing for a year or 2 and when finished with those guys they were finding gold on their own... I know i did. not pushing them or their business but seriously they are great fun and they know what they are doing.
Good luck and keep looking as that place is filled with gold.
Cheers Pete

Latest posts