Hi from Alice Springs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Johnny and I've lived in Alice Springs for far too long.. 🤣
But not going anywhere any time soon. I've been fossicking for some time now with not a lot of luck as I previously had a garret AT Gold but the ground around here is far to mineralised for that unit. so I splurged out and got myself a Minelab GPX 5000... After doing my head in for hours of trying to figure out the settings on the GPX and 5 trips later to altunga I finely got my first nugget..💪😁 it's only all of 0.15 of a gram at about 150 mm down.
If there's any one in the area looking for a happy go lucky fossicking partner to do day trips I'd be pretty keen...

Attachments

• 16613905487965793479997413000310.jpg
    16613905487965793479997413000310.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to the Forum Johnny. You have got a great machine now so your gold tally will only improve from now on. We spend a lot of time fossicking around the Harts Range area on our way to the Kimberly most years. It's a great neck of the woods.

On our next trip over I'll try to get in touch and can maybe get you up to speed with the 5k. They are not that hard to master once you get your head around the basics. Cheers Wal.

Welcome to PA Johnny... that’s a nice little water worn nuggy to start you off, and at 15 cm. deep you have got the 5000 dialled in pretty well I’d say. What coil are you using?
I’m from Adelaide and been up to Arltunga once, but didn’t do any good that time as the grass was too high in most of the public fossicking areas then. What’s it like there now... have the management done any burning?

Welcome to the Forum Johnny. You have got a great machine now so your gold tally will only improve from now on. We spend a lot of time fossicking around the Harts Range area on our way to the Kimberly most years. It's a great neck of the woods.

On our next trip over I'll try to get in touch and can maybe get you up to speed with the 5k. They are not that hard to master once you get your head around the basics. Cheers Wal.
Cheers Wal, yeah that'd be awesome mate. Before I bought it I did a bit of research and everyone I spoke to said they're fairly strait forward so I should be able to get my head around it. But any help or tips would be more than appreciated 😉

Welcome to PA Johnny... that’s a nice little water worn nuggy to start you off, and at 15 cm. deep you have got the 5000 dialled in pretty well I’d say. What coil are you using?
I’m from Adelaide and been up to Arltunga once, but didn’t do any good that time as the grass was too high in most of the public fossicking areas then. What’s it like there now... have the management done any burning?
Cheers OzzieAu, yeah I was pretty excited when I seen it poking out the dirt in my scoop.. probably would've been a good laugh if someone had a 🎥 recording me..
At the moment I've got the 12" nugget finder coil on but also have just the standard DD and Mono coils as well.

Yeah the grass is pretty full on at the moment also, I'm hoping they do a burn off soon before the weather gets to hot..

The basics are pretty strait forward Johnny....It's just that some of the fine tuning in certain timings can make the difference in a detectable target and one just of reach. That generally comes from mastering your machine over a long time, but the learning curve can be dramatically shortened if you can get some hints from guys who have gone through the trial and error stages.

Coil size can also force you to change settings and timings....unfortunately it's not one size fits all. 😢

Hi all, I'm Johnny and I've lived in Alice Springs for far too long.. 🤣
But not going anywhere any time soon. I've been fossicking for some time now with not a lot of luck as I previously had a garret AT Gold but the ground around here is far to mineralised for that unit. so I splurged out and got myself a Minelab GPX 5000... After doing my head in for hours of trying to figure out the settings on the GPX and 5 trips later to altunga I finely got my first nugget..💪😁 it's only all of 0.15 of a gram at about 150 mm down.
If there's any one in the area looking for a happy go lucky fossicking partner to do day trips I'd be pretty keen...
How good. Welcome

Latest posts