Hi all from Avoca

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, you could say in the last week or so I had an epiphany of sorts.... It goes like this, I live in the Central Vic Goldfields, so why the hell am I not out there with a detector?

I used to go gold panning in high school in Castlemaine (Forest Creek) and also on the Loddon in Newstead where I lived. We always found gold, just lots of specks but it was the right stuff!

I'm hoping to improve on that, so I am now trying to decide on a detector to buy.

Having read lots of topics and posts here I have to say that I'm even more keen to get out there and have a crack at it. The amount of enthusiasm and encouragement members show each other and the Newbs is awesome! Cheers.

Welcome - you are certainly in the right spot at Avoca (you also have one of best bakeries I have been to - the one with the award winning pies - drool drool). Great area, lots of maps about, great dealers close by at Maryborough (great Fish n chips at Bills I think it is) and Dunolly (also a great bakery - try the cheese n bacon sausage rolls). Doug Stone does an Avoca map and John Tully does Maryborough, Talbot/Amherst and Dunolly. So, as you can see, I am guts!!! Tip? Always pack your own sauce!

HI Joe welcome to the forum.

Your in the best spot ever.

If you wanted to you could go out for a drive further west and find some nice ground because the further west you go the longer it takes
us city folk to reach hence it won't be as detected. That's my theory anyway.

Remember its never too late to get started.

Hello Joe, likewise welcome to the site. I am an ex Victorian from down near Dandenong, moved to QLD with my job in 1994-stayed on. Terrible weather :rolleyes:I wasn't bitten by the bug then -now well??
Makes we a bit jealous as to how much closer the gold is down there. Gotta travel for 5+ hrs to get a sniff--its a big state.
Anyway welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. :lol:

Welcome Joe, set yourself an affordable budget, then start looking at suitable detectors within that range, just to narrow things down a bit, and do plenty of research - so many choices! :)

Can you still pan in forest creek, went to the public area once near the sluice site but what I mean is in the actual creek itself?

Latest posts