Hey all

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys

New to the forum and always wanted to venture into a new hobby, like all of mine probably not one of the cheapest again!

Was at Sovereign Hill with my nephew on the weekend and the thought of hunting for gold has gotten to me, I think! Lol. it was the first time I was there since I was at school, I'm 34 now and live in Vic.

Have been reading up since yesterday when I got home and watching videos on numerous methods.

Would love the opportunity to learn heaps from you guys so I can start hunting!

Many thanks in advance!

Welcome goldenhodge, its good to see your account is working :)

It's an addictive hobby that's for sure, you'll find no shortage of prospecting advice, knowledge and stories on the forum to keep you occupied in between trips.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Nugget.

Welcome to the forum goldenhodge, hope the forum serves as a great source of information and becomes a useful tool for increasing the enjoyment that prospecting brings. Look forward to hearing about you adventures and hope the gold finds its way into your pan.Best of luck,

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal, love all of the posts and vids of yours. Some great information in those!

I would love to get a GPX5000 however the cost is a little high, I want to find items for myself and thus the thrill of this new hobby... I have an opportunity to buy half share with a mate in one, however I am unsure if I want to. I guess rules would need to be set such as splitting finds, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else would do this if they couldnt afford to buy one themselves?

G'day goldenhodge,

Welcome along! I'm sure there are plenty of people (like myself) out there who just enjoy the company while detecting. Safety in numbers etc. Not to mention what you'll learn while being on the field with someone who really knows their stuff. You can get still plenty of gold without the expense of a 5000. Plenty of great machines around to start off with that don't cost an arm and a leg ;)

We share our age in common. I'm 34 also. It's a great time to be out there getting into it while we can.
All the best with it! Look forward to seeing how you get on.

Cheers,
Shauno.

goldenhodge said:
Thanks Wal, love all of the posts and vids of yours. Some great information in those!

I would love to get a GPX5000 however the cost is a little high, I want to find items for myself and thus the thrill of this new hobby... I have an opportunity to buy half share with a mate in one, however I am unsure if I want to. I guess rules would need to be set such as splitting finds, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else would do this if they couldnt afford to buy one themselves?

G'day goldenhodge,

I myself wouldn't go halves in a GPX5000 unless it was a direct family member.....like the wife. :lol: I would get a reasonably priced Gold Specific detector as a starter unit, as when the time comes that you can warrant a 5000 a spare detector will always come in handy.(Good for if you invite a mate along.....or the wife ;)

Cheers Wal. :)

cheers, yeah the mate is my mrs son so its a little different than potentially arguing with a mate over it.

I have been reading more and more and have seen that Garrett is releasing a new product as posted by Nugget, so may wait to see what it is and reviews before I commit to anything.

Asked the wife if she wanted to come along once i start, dont think she's too keen :p

Once you get her a custom made ring from the gold and possibly a Sapphire you find yourself she may change her mind. :p Optimism is the best fuel for all us prospectors. Best of luck,

cheers Wal.

Latest posts